PDA

View Full Version : Font management

Tom Bull
12-30-2009, 3:05 PM
I am looking for a good font management tool. I would like to have something that would make it easy to add/delete fonts, be able to sort them by type: script, whimsical, serif, etc., to be able to print out sample sheets of all without having to open and type them into a document. Maybe even have the ability to keep seldom used fonts separate from the often used ones. Less expensive would be best, of course.
I have spent quite a bit of time google-ing around for such a thing, and then it hit me that perhaps you folks might be using something like this and could help me out with a recommendation.
Thanks for any advice.

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-30-2009, 3:25 PM
Search this forum and you will find several posts with good info on this topic. I manage a very large collection of fonts with Font Expert 2009.

Scott Shepherd
12-30-2009, 3:34 PM
Tom, have you used the one that comes on the Corel disc? Bitstream Font Navigator? It does most everything mentioned. Just drag and drop to install or remove, you can sorts and you can print off samples of each fonts entire glyph set. It usually installs automatically when you install Corel. From the Start menu in windows, pick Corel Graphics Suite or whatever it is, and it should be an option.

It works pretty good and it's free and you already own it :)

Tom Bull
12-30-2009, 3:40 PM
Scott,
Looks like just what I need, a great big thank you and DUH:o from me. I will play around with it and see what it does.

Norberto Coutinho
12-30-2009, 6:52 PM
do a search for dafont . dot . com

John Lewandowski
12-30-2009, 7:36 PM
Don't worry Tom. I didn't know it was there either!

Scott Shepherd
12-31-2009, 9:13 AM
Here's some very basic instructions on using it, but it's enough to get you started :

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1191272107771

Jeff Belany
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
I used Bitstream Font Navigator until I noticed fonts in Corel that did not show up in Navigator. Reinstalled it, no help. I have been trying a shareware program called Main Type. It has been working pretty well so far. There are some freeware programs out there if you can use a basic program. Do a search on Google or look a sites like Tucows.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bob Davis
01-02-2010, 10:54 AM
There is a free program called fontview (just google it) that I use regularly when I'm comparing fonts. Works great.

Tom Bull
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I took Scott's advice and opened Bitstream Font Navigator. I have accomplished 2 of my goals: printed a hard copy of all the fonts for reference, and sorted them by category. It was fairly straightforward. Haven't figured out how to store unused fonts, but seem to recall a really old thread here at SMC about the subject.

Thanks to all who have offered help.

Wishing all a blessed New Year!

Tom

John Noell
01-02-2010, 1:56 PM
Be careful if using Font Navigator with Win7. It TOTALLY messed up my fonts. Although the fonts could stil be accessed in programs, the system fonts folder became "empty." Add a font there and it "disappeared." No problem with XP but I have given up on FN now that I am running Win7.

Scott Shepherd
01-02-2010, 2:31 PM
Haven't figured out how to store unused fonts, but seem to recall a really old thread here at SMC about the subject.

Thanks to all who have offered help.

Wishing all a blessed New Year!

Tom

Tom, just drag and drop them out of the screen on the right hand side back into the left hand side. Then they are available to install, but aren't installed (at least that's what I think works).

Mike Null
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Tom

I've used this method of font management for years. it seems to work well.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html