PDA

View Full Version : I need to do more woodworking, less SMC

Cliff Holmes
12-30-2009, 2:27 PM
I just looked. In the first year I was on SMC I made three posts. In the last 4.5 months, almost 300 :eek:

dan sherman
12-30-2009, 2:48 PM
no, you need to do woodworking while you SMC. :D:D

This is what I have been working on for the last two days. I'm SMCing while I finish up the design.

Jacob Mac
12-30-2009, 3:03 PM
It is easy to spend too much time on the Internet, epecially SMC. OTOH, I never would have done any wwing without this site. So, this is kind of my wwing oracle. I always come here for instruction and inspiration.

Jason White
12-30-2009, 3:52 PM
Yeah, this site is kinda like crack for me! :D

Now that I have heat (and soon to be installed insulation) in my shop, you'll likely see more posts with actual project pictures from me.

I hope....:o

Jason

I just looked. In the first year I was on SMC I made three posts. In the last 4.5 months, almost 300 :eek:

Dan Forman
12-30-2009, 4:37 PM
The eternal battle for me...

Dan

Allan Froehlich
12-30-2009, 4:52 PM
I agree!

There has to be an even trade-off point where the knowledge gained from spending time on SMC will compensate for time saved in the shop while utilizing said knowledge.

Brad Noble
12-30-2009, 5:08 PM
no, you need to do woodworking while you SMC. :D:D

This is what I have been working on for the last two days. I'm SMCing while I finish up the design.

What, a dog house with a window? Oh wait! It's a router table ... :D

Brad

keith ouellette
12-30-2009, 7:50 PM
I'm one of those boring people who likes to talk about tools, woodworking and home improvement.

I wish I got more projects completed so I could talk about them here but I don't think its because I'm on smc so often because I am usually on the computer at times I wouldn't be wood working any way.

At any rate in between my projects I love talking to you folks about yours.

Bill Arnold
12-30-2009, 8:26 PM
I go through "fits" of Forum activity. SMC gets part of my time but I spend more on Family Woodworking. I check in on both when sitting around in front of the tube most evenings unless we're traveling. When I'm in my shop, I'll keep an eye on the Forums when I take a break. It's great to have a bunch of folks you can rely on for input when you need it! ;)

Doug Carpenter
12-30-2009, 9:52 PM
I wasted many days doing worse things. At least this includes reading, typing and usually learning.

It is easy to get carried away though.

John Morrison60
12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Learning things the hard way sucks.

I figure that the time saved by getting input or reading discussions,
far outweighs the amount of online time.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

John

Harold Burrell
12-31-2009, 12:02 AM
I have been thinking the exact same thing.

So...I went out to my shop and went at it. For about 15 minutes. IT WAS FREEZING!!!

So...here I am...until spring. :D

Chip Lindley
12-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Some projects suddenly *Invent* themselves and necessisitate prying my glutus out of this computer chair and getting to work!

On Christmas Eve Eve (the 23rd), *that dog*, (a male cocker spaniel)that I go head-to-head with daily, ate most of two pounds of Baker's chocolate, inadvertently left within his reach during a night. The next morning, our very light living room carpet was thoroughly saturated with dark chocolate *stains*. Try as I might, (after spending more internet time searching) the stains have not been removed to my satisfaction.

So, I will be replacing that Bruised Berber with part of the 39 cartons of Pergo Revere Oak that I have had stored for far too long. That's a lotta Pergo! I might as well re-do the carpeted steps and upper hallway of our split-level too! All that Pergo has become very useful afterall, thanks to that *blessed* chocolate-eatin' Cocker! Glad my laziness didn't allow me to liquidate the Pergo on CL!

Harold Burrell
12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Some projects suddenly *Invent* themselves and necessisitate prying my glutus out of this computer chair and getting to work!

On Christmas Eve Eve (the 23rd), *that dog*, (a male cocker spaniel)that I go head-to-head with daily, ate most of two pounds of Baker's chocolate, inadvertently left within his reach during a night. The next morning, our very light living room carpet was thoroughly saturated with dark chocolate *stains*. Try as I might, (after spending more internet time searching) the stains have not been removed to my satisfaction.

So, I will be replacing that Bruised Berber with part of the 39 cartons of Pergo Revere Oak that I have had stored for far too long. That's a lotta Pergo! I might as well re-do the carpeted steps and upper hallway of our split-level too! All that Pergo has become very useful afterall, thanks to that *blessed* chocolate-eatin' Cocker! Glad my laziness didn't allow me to liquidate the Pergo on CL!

I'm sorry...but, if that were my pooch...I would be using some of that oak to build him a box to sleep in. Forever. ;)

Bill Arnold
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry...but, if that were my pooch...I would be using some of that oak to build him a box to sleep in. Forever. ;)
The dog didn't leave the chocolate within his own reach. ;)

Better watch out! PETA and The Humane Society will come get you!!!

Lee Schierer
12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
What, a dog house with a window? Oh wait! It's a router table ... :D

Brad

Good one Brad....made me chuckle...:D

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2010, 9:12 AM
I get up, make coffee, watch the weather, and wander to the keyboard with my coffee as a way of waking up. Most of my posts are from 5-6 AM, and its too dark to work. Ocassionally an idea or technic of note pops up to make it worth while and it beats the hell out of my old habit.....

I used to read a couple of hours in the morning on the political scene, write a letter or two to congressmen, get totally agitated and set my day up with a negative start. I gave up on that when I figured out no one was really listening and that our political situation is lost, out of our control, and a waste of my time. Life is too short.........

So I read about wood, much better start to my day.

Happy new year to all.;)

Larry

Karl Card
01-01-2010, 8:46 PM
Yeah, this site is kinda like crack for me! :D

Now that I have heat (and soon to be installed insulation) in my shop, you'll likely see more posts with actual project pictures from me.

I hope....:o

Jason

i can thorouhly understand that.... less than a year ago i had hardly a hammer, know i have a basement full of tools and wood. I quit drinking beer and turned my spare time into making items out of wood and collecting wood. I cannot get on ebay with out buying at least 1 piece of wood...

art san jr
01-01-2010, 9:16 PM
AIN'T DAT DE TRUTH !!!!!!

Art.

Glen Butler
01-02-2010, 2:52 PM
I was reminded of this thread this morning, when I realized I have spend the last three hours typing, and that could have been spent, sawing, milling, and drilling. Peace out. I am going to work.

Glen Blanchard
01-02-2010, 3:13 PM
Well thank goodness for SMC. I'm sitting in the airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico, returning from a post-Christmas cruise. Our flight leaves in about 2.5 hours. We have already been here for 5 hours or so. This is as close as I'm going to get to making sawdust this weekend. If it were not for my laptop, a decent wireless connection and the SMC, I'd probably be cranky by now (make that "more cranky"). :D

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-02-2010, 3:17 PM
If they were turned posts I'd say your doing pretty darn good!