PDA

View Full Version : Quick Books, grrrrr!

Steve Rozmiarek
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Way off topic, but thought I'd try. I use Quick Books, have for many years. My office currently is a server network, with three of us using it. I want to try different accounting software to fix one very annoying problem, I'm absolutely sick and tired of Intuit holding my data hostage if I don't upgrade all the danged time. My accountant can't even load the file I just sent her for crying out loud, we have different versions. This is dumb.

I have no experience with anything else really, what is out there?

Rick Prosser
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I used Quickbooks for a while, then switched to Peachtree Accounting. You might give it a try.

No longer need anything that complicated, and just use Quicken or MSMoney.

Dennis McGarry
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
You went from QB to peachtree? Wow.

As for QB's dont upgrade and do not use the web based version, get a stand alone version. Multi-user pro.

I have never had a problem with the data from it, can even export it quicken, peachtree or ms money. Or raw text comma delimiated format for the old school accounts..

Steve Rozmiarek
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I was wondering about Peachtree too.

Dennis, that's exactly what I use now, Quick Books Pro 2009 with a multi user license. A few weeks ago, I had not upgraded to the "new improved" (yea right) service pack version that it had been prompting me for, and all of a sudden QB locked up my company file. It just plain said that I had to upgrade to access it. I was using 2009, but I had to upgrade service packs. All that did was make more crap about ordering checks online show up, and make it so that the new converted company file is now not compatible with my accountants non upgraded version. I just want something that I buy once, and use exactly the same for years. It does need to be a full featured tool though, less updated tax schedules. That's what I pay the accountant for.

I lost a day to figure out how to get the right files to upgrade my server system, then a lot more time dealing with incompatibility. Shish, I'm just venting now...

Dennis McGarry
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Well as for the install once and forgot it, thats a toughy when it comes to accounting software.

But Ms money or Quicken may do the trick for you. I am still using my original copy of QB pro 6 :) do not let it update anything and block it from going online and have had no problems.

Wayne Sparkman
12-30-2009, 1:13 PM
Take a look at GnuCash before you buy anything else.
It's free. Might not do all you want, but worth a look.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-30-2009, 7:15 PM
Probably should mention that this is the company software, and I don't mind paying more money for something that works. On that thought, I'm off to look at GnuCash. That would be great if it would work :D. I've used Money and Quicken for personal finances, but for business stuff, they didn't have all the features I'd like to have.

In retrospect, I should have done what you did Dennis, never upgrade when I found a version that I liked, and never allow it access to the internet!

paul cottingham
12-30-2009, 8:59 PM
gnucash is pretty good, but less "polished" (whatever that means) than the commercial offerings.

Curt Harms
12-31-2009, 8:25 AM
Probably should mention that this is the company software, and I don't mind paying more money for something that works. On that thought, I'm off to look at GnuCash. That would be great if it would work :D. I've used Money and Quicken for personal finances, but for business stuff, they didn't have all the features I'd like to have.

In retrospect, I should have done what you did Dennis, never upgrade when I found a version that I liked, and never allow it access to the internet!

Quicken is the only thing I use Windows for currently. I have it on a separate unplugged-most-of-the-time Hard Drive. When I need to do Quickbooks stuff, I shut the computer down, unplug the network adapter, plug the Windows/Quicken drive in, boot it, do what I need to do, save and reverse the procedure. My PC sits in a mostly enclosed cabinet with no sides on it so accessing the drives is a few seconds work. It sounds like a pain but it's not that bad if I only have to do it a few times a year. If it were a daily ritual, it'd be a major PITA. It DOES limit Windows' exposure to the internet and its attendant Windows crapware .

Roger Bullock
12-31-2009, 9:26 AM
If I was sick, I would not ask my barber. If I had a bad tooth, I wouldn't ask my mechanic. In the past my accountant has saved me money, saved me time, got me through a sticky audit (my fault not his), and aided me is several business decisions. Bottom line is that I have found that the best way to help myself is to help him in anyway shape or form I can. If he can't find any or your infomation, use your software, or understand what you are giving him it's not hurting him it's hurting ...... well you. If I have any questions about my accounting system...... I would ask my account "What do you want me to provide you and how do you want it provided?"

Myk Rian
12-31-2009, 9:46 AM
Quicken is the only thing I use Windows for currently. I have it on a separate unplugged-most-of-the-time Hard Drive.
Seems a bit paranoid to me.
If the only thing you use the Windows machine for is QB, why have a network card in it? Just unplug the network and be done with it.

Paul Atkins
01-01-2010, 3:41 AM
If it wasn't for payroll, my wife would do books by hand. Intuit drives me crazy too! 250 bucks a year to keep up to date with all the new tax stuff. Oh, and you need the new and improved version too! I've talked to more people in Pakistan trying to get things to work right - mostly about registration numbers and automatic billing - than I ever care to remember. It works best on a PC, and I refuse to contaminate my Mac with windows, so we have a laptop just for books- Nuts! And windows 7 is nothing great either. I crashed 3 times in the first week and we only have 3 programs on it. (OK, breathe deep-------)

Curt Harms
01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Seems a bit paranoid to me.
If the only thing you use the Windows machine for is QB, why have a network card in it? Just unplug the network and be done with it.

I use the same machine for both Windows & Linux. I like Linux better for everyday stuff like web surfing, word processing etc. . My accountant uses & likes Quickbooks so that's what I use. I DO unplug the network, the network adapter is a USB WiFi adapter. By not allowing Windows to access the internet I don't feel the need to download the latest Microsoft patches which may fix one thing and break 3 others. Works for me.

To quote David Pimm:
“Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me”

:D:D

Dave Johnson29
01-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I love all versions of QB. ;)

I don't use it but I have written a lot of software for people who do. Getting that data **the user** wants out of the QB system is the single biggest request I get.

Have you tried the Export options? They are a little complicated and convoluted but you should be able to create a custom report then export to a CSV file which will load straight into something like Excel and other good accounting software.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
That's funny Dave!

I do anything analytical in Excel. Kind of funny how you have to export a "pretty" report into a completely different piece of software to actually do anything with the data.... Thank the powers that be for Excel!