PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet 'goodbye' to the old TS....

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
So I finally disassembled (extension table, fence system, etc) "old reliable" - my old Delta 34-670 saw. It was originally my brother's (many MANY years ago), and he said he could make use of it at a project he has coming up at an investment property. So I put it all in my truck this morning and will be dropping it off at his place this afternoon.

Funny...I replaced it with a new TS that is many orders of magnitude nicer, but I'm still sad to see it go.

glenn bradley
12-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I know the feeling. Fortunately my dad inherited my tricked out old Emerson/Craftsman so I get to visit.

Jim O'Dell
12-30-2009, 1:10 PM
Partly for thinking is the reason I'm keeping my older grey Ridgid contractor saw. It is already in it's new position waiting on the new saw. It will see use, especially on junk wood and for future daddo cuts. Not sure if it will get to keep the Biese fence or not...that may find it's way over to the 691. Jim.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-30-2009, 1:15 PM
Jim, I thought about keeping it for "other" uses, but frankly I just don't have the room for it. When my brother is done with it, I might try to get it back and set it up in the garage (on a mobile base) along with my planer for milling operations....but that's just and idea, not a firm plan.

Jim O'Dell
12-30-2009, 1:22 PM
John, I figure I've got an outfeed table anyway, and the old saw isn't any longer than it is if turned 90 degrees to the new table saw. In fact, it, coupled with my mobile outfeed table, give me great coverage, even for crosscutting sheet goods. All are mobile and can be moved out of the way if needed. Jim.

Bruce Page
12-30-2009, 1:39 PM
I felt the same way when I bought my MM16 and sold my old Delta 14” BS.
I should’ve kept my 14” as a 2nd BS. Oh well, live & learn.

Which replacement TS did you get?

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-30-2009, 1:52 PM
Bruce, I got a new SS PCS, so while I'm sad to see the Delta go, it's not really heartbreaking :)

I finally got it all set up, and a 220v line run for it....just in time for the holidays and a sick wife to take up my time. :) Hope to start in on some needed shop storage after the New Year...

Bruce Page
12-30-2009, 2:54 PM
Bruce, I got a new SS PCS, so while I'm sad to see the Delta go, it's not really heartbreaking :)

I finally got it all set up, and a 220v line run for it....just in time for the holidays and a sick wife to take up my time. :) Hope to start in on some needed shop storage after the New Year...

Congrats John. That's a nice saw!

Jeff Nolan
12-30-2009, 4:51 PM
I have an SCMI 12" sliding TS but I still miss my trusty old Unisaw... I could do everything on that saw and while the slider is great for sheet goods and has the power to rip pretty much anything, I still don't feel as confident on it and it's been 2 years.

Chip Lindley
12-31-2009, 1:06 AM
Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow! My first *keeper* was a Rockwell Model 10 CS I completely refurbished and tuned. Light Years ahead of the '70s Crapsman it replaced! The old saw was a mess when I bought it out of a barn at a farm auction. But it cleaned up nicely and served me well for 15 years.

Now, using the 3hp. '98 PM66 that replaced it, I seldom look back or miss the old Model 10! It served it's purpose and was a great learning experience. My only regret is that I sold it so cheaply!

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2010, 9:20 AM
My first saw was a Rockwell 9" contractors saw I bought in my early 20's, and it was the most exciting purchase I ever made. It served me well, and I sold it to a friend who is still using it. I often look around my shop that has it all, well almost,;), and think of all the projects that I accomplished with only that saw, a drill, a router and a skill saw with a few hand tools.

Thirty some years later my tools are all a man could need, but the body is giving out. If I could only find one of those........