PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Crosscut Saw

Dustin Irby
12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm looking at the Veritas dovetail saws and was wondering what the crosscut saw in the 3 saw set would be used for. Just wondering if it'd really be necessary for one to own all three. I think a previous thread answered my question on the dovetail saws... the 14tpi will probably do for most anything. Just wondering what the main use of the crosscut would be.

James Ogle
12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
It seems to be designed as a carcase saw. Cutting small peices to length on a bench hook or cutting the shoulders of tenons.

lowell holmes
12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
A few years ago, I faced the same question concerning the LN carcass saws. I got along with just the dovetail rip saw and finally I decided to buy a carcass saw. I bought the crosscut saw. I didn't use it much for some time, but I learned to use it for some cuts.
I then decided I just had to have the carcass rip saw. I bought it and I use it a lot.

I'm glad I have all three saws. I think there is more conflict between the dovetail saw and the rip carcass saw than with the crosscut saw.

Now I find myself looking at the Wenzall and Sons large tenon saw.

Will it never end?

In answer to your question, it is not necessary to have all three saws, but . . .

Rob Lee
12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Dustin -

Pretty much what James said - joinery work, cross grain cuts.

We do have a larger carcase saw in the works - but are really testing the limits of our manufacturing method... still working on tweaking the mold, and process... gonna be a few months before we're close...

Cheers -

Rob

Richard Magbanua
12-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Definitely not necessary to get the crosscut saw -but it's nice to have it.
I know that sounds obvious, but you could use the rip saw or dovetail saw to make cross cuts such as the ends of tail boards and mouldings. If you score the cut first, especially if you follow that by cutting a small shoulder with a chisel, you won't notice any difference visually because those cuts are hidden in the joint. A sharp rip makes a crosscut just fine.
However, the finish is not as good as a good crosscut. I have a LN crosscut carcass that leaves a finish just as smooth as my Japanese crosscut. Also, the feel is different. The crosscut saw feels much smoother in the cut than my rip. Now, with larger cross cuts like carcass dados and face frame miters the crosscut saw is just a bit faster and leaves less cleanup to do on a shooting board.
So, while not necessary for smaller cuts, getting a crosscut saw is nice to have. Kinda like getting a $70 dovetail saw. It's not necessary -a $20 Crown will do - but it's oh so nice to have! :D

Richard Magbanua
12-30-2009, 12:05 PM
There he goes again folks. Dropping the new tool coming soon grenade and leaving. Thanks! Now sit back and let us spread the news.:D

Rob Lee
12-30-2009, 9:35 PM
There he goes again folks. Dropping the new tool coming soon grenade and leaving. Thanks! Now sit back and let us spread the news.:D

Richard -

You know there's always a new tool coming....:D

Cheers -

Rob

Dustin Irby
12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
So, as with most everything related to my tool purchases so far, it's what do I want vs. what do I need?

Richard Magbanua
12-31-2009, 1:34 PM
Just saw/posted about the new Wenzloff panel saws, Rob. Nice.