PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl from a Board - Mystery Wood

steven carter
12-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I bought a jet dust collector from a friend who has a great flat work shop, and he gave me a piece of 12/4 poplar. I used most of the poplar for making vacuum chucks, and had a piece left over so I thought I would try my first bowl from a board. It ended up 12" x 3" finished in home brew oil, beall buffed with ren wax.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Interesting form! Very nice job on finishing!

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Steven, good job!! Glad there are some other newbies out there!

Are you sure that is poplar - it sure doesn't look like it!?!? It has the grain structure of ash, sassafras, etc.

Rob Young
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow, that's really neat!

Adding to the TODO list... (darn you!) :rolleyes:

steven carter
12-30-2009, 1:34 PM
Steven, good job!! Glad there are some other newbies out there!

Are you sure that is poplar - it sure doesn't look like it!?!? It has the grain structure of ash, sassafras, etc.

John,

Not really sure, but the guy that gave it to me was a high school shop teacher for several years, so I just took his word for it. The photos do make it seem grainier than it really is. I've turned a lot of ash so I know it isn't ash, and it sure didn't smell like sassafras, which I've carved a lot of.

Also been turning rather steadily for about 3 years now, so still a newbie, just not as much a newbie as three years ago!:D There are a lot of things that when I get around to doing them will be firsts.

Steve

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 1:58 PM
Also been turning rather steadily for about 3 years now, so still a newbie, just not as much a newbie as three years ago!:D There are a lot of things that when I get around to doing them will be firsts.

SteveOooops!! Sorry, Steve!:o Being very new over here in the Turners forum, I am not familiar with some of the regulars. From your comments, I took it that you were new to turning. My apologies!!

On the wood, it just doesn't seem to have the color and characteristics of poplar. I have used a lot of poplar (not turned) and none of it had the prominent growth rings of your bowl. But, pics can do some strange things, and it may appear all together different in person.

steven carter
12-30-2009, 2:17 PM
John,

No apology needed..... I've been called worse than that by my best friends, especially on the golf course. I agree this wood has more pronounced grain than a poplar bowl that I turned, so we'll just call it mystery wood. I see that you are from central KY, any where near the home of the Everly Brothers? (Central City I believe).

Steve

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 6:40 PM
Steve, I am a little over 3 hours east of Central City, but still was an Everly Bros. fan!!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Well Steven for dunno wood it looks mighty fine to me.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Nicely done Steve! Those knuckle busters keep a guy concentrating and focused...don't they! Lots of pucker power!

David Christopher
12-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Steve, thats a fine looking bowl...I agree with others it dont look like poplar but still looks good