PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Dick Parr
10-12-2004, 5:51 PM
Well I finished having fun for today getting all my wood cut to size and sealed up. :D Bill Chapman called Sunday saying a guy cut down a big tree and did I want some. I was going to a friends for dinner and said that I couldn't come help. When I got home there was 2 logs and a big stump (27" x 30") sitting in the drive. :eek: I looks like it is box elder with all the red streaks, and since I had some cherry, oak and willow that needed cutting I got started yesterday. Last night Bill brought over 2 more big pieces. I ended up with 54 blocks that average 4" x 8" x 8" and have enough burl and cutoffs to make at least 60 bottle stoppers. :D I will be spending the next couple of days trying to figure out where the heck I'm going to store this stuff. :confused: Maybe by the weekend I will be un-stiff enough to go back out and turn some of this stuff while it is green. :p Ended up with mostly Boxelder and some Willow, Oak and Cherry.

Thanks for looking.

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 7:00 PM
Well...look at it this way...you will have plenty of material to turn this winter. No excuses. Lots of pictures are expected!

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 7:56 PM
Wow! You have a lotta fun (work) ahead of you, Dick! :D :D

Dick Parr
10-12-2004, 8:11 PM
Your right Jim and Chris, there will be lots of fun and turning this winter and picture posting. Speaking of which that is now (wasn't planning on) tomorrows project, getting the gas furnace in the shop cleaned out and started. They are calling for lows to be in the high 30's to low 40's and highs only in the high 50's to low 60's by the end of the week. :eek: Not ready for that yet. :( Time to also turn up the temp in the hot tub. :D

John Miliunas
10-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Holy smokes! :eek: NOW I see what you meant by being tired from cutting all that wood. THAT is the wood you meant! :D Whew...Quite the haul, me thinks. Yeah, I'd have a hard time finding room to store all that, as well. Guess that means you'll just have to start whittling them down, so that you don't have to worry about storing them! :D :cool:

Michael Stafford
10-13-2004, 8:06 AM
Dick, you can have too much wood you know. It is possible to have a wood stash beyond all possible lifetime. To keep that from happening you could share with the less fortunate. I think I know at least one woodworker who is among the less fortunate--- good ol' Big Mike...

Tyler Howell
10-13-2004, 8:13 AM
He Scores,

Both in wood and in good friends. Nice haul!

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 9:11 AM
Thanks John, Mike and Tyler. If you guys are ever this way, there will be some pieces for you. I have one that I will put Tylers name on so that when he decides to goes over to the round side, he will be ready. :D

John Shuk
10-13-2004, 9:58 AM
Dick,
I think you are using up your monthly allotment of gloats here. Very nice score on the wood. I especially like Box Elder. If you don't have room to store it all you could put some on a faceplate on MY lathe and I'll keep it safe for ya!

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 10:00 AM
John I am safe then because it will be a month before I can move, to have anymore gloats

Steve Clardy
10-13-2004, 4:49 PM
Out of storage space sounds very familiar. Maybe ad on to shop??:rolleyes:

Nice looking blanks. Ought to keep a guy busy for a while.:)

Dick Parr
10-13-2004, 4:56 PM
Steve, I think I am going to work with little pieces of wood for awhile, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Steve Clardy
10-13-2004, 5:21 PM
Steve, I think I am going to work with little pieces of wood for awhile, if ya know what I mean. ;)
Gotcha.:) Just holler when you run out.

Steve