PDA

View Full Version : All I can say is "THANKS!"

Joe Tonich
10-12-2004, 5:50 PM
I was at work today cutting trees that were blocking the signs on the highway and came up on a bent over one. It was about 4" dia. and was at about a 45deg. angle. I remembered an earlier post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12462 and took a second look before cutting. Didn't have a strap or anything but sorta knew what to expect. (Should have listened to the "little voice" and skipped this tree for today) The tree split just as described in the thread. I cut it a little and heard the cracking, breaked the chain as I stepped back, and BANG!. The tree split in half from the cut to about 3' up. It was so sudden and made a heck of a noise, scared the beejeebers out of me and the other guys. The one guy cuts trees on the side and said he never seen that happen before. I'm glad people here know whats up and how to do it safely as I could'a been in a world o' hurt! Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who posts their safety advice, I definitely appreciate it!

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-12-2004, 6:37 PM
Joe, I am glad you came away from that one safely. When them suckers go...........they REALLY go don't they? :eek:

The force that a stressed tree like that contains is an awesome force. I would have loved to see the look on the face of the guys that were with ya.................that is a wild thing when those go ain't it? ;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-12-2004, 9:48 PM
When I was young 16-18, I worked for a City Recreation department in the summer. I was luck enough to have a crew leader that knew how to drop trees. He taught me how to do it.

I have taken down 20-30 ft trees in tight spaces and put them where I wanted them, but there was one time when I had a problem. Of all things, it was a Lombardy Poplar. Very tall; almost 40 feet, but I had all the room in the world to drop it whole. Figured out where I wanted it to go. Made cuts 1 and 2. When I started to make the third cut, I heard a crack. HMMMM - shouldn't be happening that early. But it did. Cut some more. More noise. Got almost to the break point when the tree started to move. The top moved the right direction, but the bottom wasn't holding. It was moving and in my direction. It was a Widow Maker". The saw and I moved in time to not be impaled and shoved into a fence. Glad I had the training!

Bruce

Donnie Raines
10-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Glad nothing happen there Joe!!!