PDA

View Full Version : Cherry box with finial.

Lionel Mercier
12-30-2009, 5:44 AM
It's a box, a rough wild cherry box .
The lid is adorned with carved spirals (done with a Kutzall burr and then sanded)
Finial is leaf shaped out of bone and sited in an ebony ring.
I purpose to paint it with iridescent shade (Markal pens) the sides of the box only.
What 's your mind ? Not best let it so ?
Waiting for Your comments,
With my best wishes for 2010, Lionel

Cody Colston
12-30-2009, 5:47 AM
The lid and the finial are fantastic. I'm still thinking about the box portion. :)

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 7:24 AM
Very interesting contrast in this piece - the roughness of the base, and the finished look of the top and finial. It may work the way it is. I looked a couple of times. My first thought was no, but the more I look, the more it seems to fit. I don't think I would care for it colored in any way, however, except for perhaps the bottom being very dark or blackened.

Curt Fuller
12-30-2009, 8:41 AM
I like the contrast between the rough and the smooth. The finial is very nice and an interesting choice of material. I think it's a beautiful box.

Skip Spaulding
12-30-2009, 9:00 AM
I like it, the contrast is interesting, guess I would call "Undone"!

Richard Madison
12-30-2009, 9:18 AM
Lionel, This is a very interesting piece just as it is. I do not think the paint would work, but hard to tell without seeing it in person.

Ron Erickson
12-30-2009, 9:32 AM
I like it, but it looks like you did not finish it. So I like the idea of the paint it would then look finished. Ron

Doug W Swanson
12-30-2009, 10:05 AM
It looks nice. I'd say finish it the way it is and not paint it....

JMHO,
Doug

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Lionel - I like the contrast in textures and would keep the box as is. Question: did you finish off the inside of the box/turn it smooth or did you leave that rough also?

Just my personal opinion - when it comes to coloring, I prefer dyes so you can still see the wood grain. With the roughed out portion - I would leave it natural.

Steve Mawson
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Another vote to forget the paint. Just me but I am not in favor of paint on anything hardwood. Like it like it is.

Lionel Mercier
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Hello All,
Thanks for yours comments.I think I'll let it so and if I want to see the look with coloured box I'll turn another...
@Steve:
First project was only turn a bowl (was to test my new tool, a Proxxon)
inside is smoot finish with a thin groove for the lid (see picture)
Friendly, Lionel

Jon Finch
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I personally think it would look even better if the top surface of the box was turned flat and smooth, just leaving he outside edges rough. But as always ymmv.

Jon Finch
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
BTW, how did you texture the rough portion?

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Lionel - I really like the smooth bowl and the way it contrasts with the rough outside! I would leave everything just the way you have it now! Very nice work!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Dennis Ford
12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I think a dark dye on the base would still keep the wooden appearance while providing color contrast to go with the texture contrast that you built in.

Great job thinking "outside of the box"!

Lionel Mercier
12-30-2009, 1:19 PM
@ Jon
The four sides were textured with the Proxxon long neck and a mini arbotech blade. The top surface is just out chain saw.
Interestingly, my wife thinks also the top surface would gain being flat polished, but only a ring around the lid she said.
Friendly, Lionel

Jon Finch
12-30-2009, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the info on the texturing.

ooohhh. I might agree with your wife. It might even look nice with a finished ring somewhere between the lid and edge with rough between it and the lid...

alex carey
12-30-2009, 2:17 PM
Keep it as is, i like it this way.

Jeff Nicol
12-30-2009, 8:38 PM
I love the contrasting textures also. The coloring is something that may work or not. Some guys do a process that makes it look like copper or bronze with the green patina on it. I had a flash of that in my mind when I first started reading your post. Lots of things that could be done, maybe ebonize the base and then cut the groove around it like mentioned to let the natural wood show through. I could go on and on but the decision is yours.

Nice job,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Interesting piece Lionel. Really like the finial.