PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Simulated Marble Countertop

Harry Pye
10-12-2004, 5:43 PM
All my life I have suffered from "Foot in Mouth" disease. Recently I had another attack and got myself in a little bind.

I offered to install a new bathroom vanity for one of my neighbors. Not a big deal and I've done this job before. This one is a little different. The vanity is 60" long and fits between walls that are roughly 60" apart. Should be reasonably easy. The rub is with the vanity top. It is simulated marble with an integral sink and it is 61" long. (I suppose the manufacturer made it long to allow some overhang in a more conventional installation.) But, inevitably, I’ll have to trim it to length.

If it was wood, I'd know what to do but this is simulated marble from Lowes. The guy at the store said he had never installed one but said it should be cut with a masonry saw blade, the kind used for bricks.

Does this sound right? If not a masonry blade, what else would I use? Since I'd like to scribe it to the wall more exactly, can the final fitting be done with a belt sander?

Please help me get my foot out of my mouth!

Harry

Brian Hale
10-12-2004, 6:12 PM
I'd try the belt sander first before turning a saw blade loose on it. Start with a 120 grit belt and see how it goes. Also conside a jig saw with one of the carbide impregnated blades but cut it from the bottom in case it chips. This is what i've done in the past with Corian.

If all else fails, go the masonary saw route

Good Luck!
Brian

Jamie Buxton
10-12-2004, 6:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that cultured marble is mostly plastic (polyester, I think), mixed with marble or limestone dust. All of these materials are soft and can be cut easily with conventional wood blades. One of those abrasive masonry blades would just melt it and make a big mess.

When you cut the stuff, remember to run the saw's shoe on the bottom side, not the polished top side. A skillsaw or a saber saw should work just fine.

Michael Perata
10-12-2004, 6:50 PM
Use a solid cabide router bit, preferably 1/2" shank. Don't use a circ saw, it will chip out the material.