PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Grizzly TS Decision

David B Thornton
12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
So I'm taking the plunge and buying a Grizzly Table Saw, but need some advice. I called the sales department and had them hold the G1023SLWX 5HP 10" saw for me to go and pick up tomorrow. I decided to have them hold the 5HP model rather than the G1023SLW 3HP model seeing as the price on these two are the same ($895).

So what I'm wondering is, is there any reason I shouldn't get the 5HP model instead of the 3HP? I figured that if I were to ever need the extra HP, I would have it, though I don't have a need for it at this time.

Comments/Suggestions?

Josh Rudolph
12-29-2009, 11:12 PM
David,

If they are the same price...I would definitely go with the 5HP. Just make sure it the correct power you need. I have seen the 5HP be cheaper because they were 3 phase.

If it is single phase or you can handle 3 phase, then the extra power can't hurt right? :D

Congrats on the new saw.

Josh

John Ricci
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
The only consideration in my mind would be the wiring for the 5hp saw. 10ga. wire and a 30a. breaker would cover it but I have no idea what you have available from your shop panel. Good price on a 5hp cab saw...I have a Canadian General 650R 3hp that I run on a 20a. circuit @ 240v and I love it but it cost just over 3 times what that Grizz goes for:mad: I still don't regret buying "homegrown" though:cool:

J.R.

David B Thornton
12-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the SLWX is single phase 220V. I don't have 220 in the garage/shop yet, but I have a buddy who's an electrician who is going to come over and help me install a subpanel and provide the wiring and the breakers (Gloat!).

Tony Bilello
12-29-2009, 11:50 PM
....So what I'm wondering is, is there any reason I shouldn't get the 5HP model instead of the 3HP? NO. Tony B. I figured that if I were to ever need the extra HP, I would have it, though I don't have a need for it at this time. Yes. Tony B
Comments/Suggestions?

Logic, plain and simple. As for the second part of your statement, you will probably be using the extra 2 horses and not realize it at the time because the saw wont slow down on difficult wood. Wise choice and congrats.

scott spencer
12-30-2009, 8:34 AM
As John pointed out, amp draw is the only thing that comes to mind.

Jim O'Dell
12-30-2009, 1:50 PM
I'd go with the 5hp unit. Especially since you will be wiring for the saw, and can run what is needed. You'll never notice if it's too much power, you will notice a situation if you have too little.
Wish my new Griz saw had the 5 hp option! Jim.