PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0604X Jointer Setup Question

Dave Clermont
12-29-2009, 10:57 PM
LOML got me the G0604X as a surprise Christmas gift this year woohoo. It came in last week, first chance I had had to set it up was today. Everything went pretty smooth, all though I do seem to be running into an issue and wonder if someone could help me out.

When I installed the fence carriage I followed the instructions and placed a piece of paper under the carriage before I tightened it down. Then I attached the fence and all seemed to go ok, the fence was not making contact with either table. When I was aligning the jointer I noticed that the fence carriage would stop before sliding over the tables the left corner of the fence carriage (right near the stop bolt) was contacting the table and stopping it from moving forward any further...

So did I do something incorrect during the fence carriage or fence install or is it suppose to stop at that point? If not who do I correct it?

Thanks!

Tom Esh
12-30-2009, 8:17 AM
...When I installed the fence carriage I followed the instructions and placed a piece of paper under the carriage before I tightened it down...

That never worked for me either. The hard part was keeping that heavy carriage in position while tightening the bolts. I ended up using some scrap as shims to elevate the carriage as close to dead-level with the table as I could, then tightened it up and knocked out the shims. If the carriage mount bolts are tight it shouldn't slip.
Later it occurred to me the only critical thing is for the carriage to be at least as high as the table so it doesn't snag. When I re-assembled it after installing a Shelix head earlier this year I just positioned it as high as it would go. I squared things up with the fence resting on the table. Of course with the fence all the way back (resting on the carriage) it's not exactly 90 degrees, but I don't edge joint with it in that position anyway.

Dave Clermont
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the idea I will give it a shot tonight!

-Dave

Dave Clermont
12-30-2009, 9:37 PM
That did the trick now just to get the outfeed table parallel. Thanks Tom!

-Dave