PDA

View Full Version : Hinges?

Dave Varble
12-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi all. I am making a Cremation urn for a friend of mine's uncle. It is curved on all sides with a matching curved lid.(see the pic). It seems that I will need some kind of special hinges that will allow the lid to move back as well as open to allow clearance for the curve. I have looked at several different sites to find these hinges, but I have had no luck. So I hope that one of you more experienced woodworkers have done something like this, and know what I need to look for.
Thank you for any help,
Dave

Ed Sallee
12-30-2009, 4:46 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "slide" back... perhaps a knife hing or some small barrel hinges?

Dave Varble
12-30-2009, 5:58 PM
When the lid opens with standard clearance hinges, it will hit on the curve of the box. I need something that will allow for the lid to move back about a half inch as it opens.:confused: Hope that clarifies it a little.
Dave

Tom Sontag
12-31-2009, 2:06 AM
I cannot off hand think of a product to fit your needs, which is not the same as saying it does not exist. However, instead of tilting back, the lid could easily rotate away if it were on one pin. Or break the lid into two parts, one that tilts and one that stays flat over the curved side.

It is time to think outside the box a little and design a solution for your problem; the physics of what you have may not allow a small unobtrusive off-the-shelf hardware solution.

Ed Sallee
12-31-2009, 7:43 AM
I agree with Tom.... you may do well just putting a pin in there and making it a "swivel" type hinge.

Jamie Buxton
12-31-2009, 11:21 AM
One way to think about this is the following. Consider the curved rear wall of the box. Change it in your mind to a thick straight piece of wood. The thickness is whatever would be necessary to enclose the curved piece. Now your hinge problem becomes one of needing a hinge which accommodates a large overlay. I know there are cup hinges which accommodate a 3/4" overlay, and I think ones which handle even more.

Jim Pritchett
12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Maybe someone can enlighten me about the process if cremation. Would there ever be an occasion to access the ashes once placed in the urn? If not, why not just glue the top on and seal it for eternity. I'm just asking.

Joe Leigh
12-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe someone can enlighten me about the process if cremation. Would there ever be an occasion to access the ashes once placed in the urn? If not, why not just glue the top on and seal it for eternity. I'm just asking.

Good question. Why would the box ever need to be opened?

Dave Varble
12-31-2009, 6:58 PM
The friend requested that there be enough room within the urn to place pictures and such that she would want to have access to whenever she wanted. The ashes themselves are enclosed in a sealed cardboard box that will be placed into the urn. An urn that I designed for work was made to be permanetly sealed after the ashes are placed in it.
Thanks for your input on the hinges. I thought about splitting the top, but I have a laser engraving on the top. A swivel hinge is a good idea that I had not considered. I will have to check and see if it will work with my design. I considered just flattening the back side of it, but that wastes alot of work already done to make the curve.:mad:
Keep the ideas coming, and I'm sure something will work.
Thanks again,
Dave