PDA

View Full Version : Micro Fence, anyone use one ??

John Edwards
10-12-2004, 4:31 PM
1st timer her. Bob M said you were a bunch of nice folks. Yep and Festool is the best
Now however,

http://www.microfence.com/pages/welcome.html

How do you like it ? Does it do as it is advertised?. Or is another one of those high priced gizmos that can do the job but other tools/ways are easier/better ?
TIA

Steve Roxberg
10-12-2004, 4:48 PM
I don't own one, but have seen them demonstrated several times and they are very impressive. I will eventually own one, but other items are higher on the list today.

If you are in the market I'm aware of two possible deals.

1. www.woodhaven.com has one version (if fits a particular router, don't remember which one) on their clearance page for $119. You can purchase additional parts to connect it to your router but the savings would probably disappear. For current owners they have many different versions of the circle cutting attachment on sale as well, clearance pages. Searching didn't locate them just page through the clearance pages.

2. Hartville tools has one model, again I don't remember which one on clearance for $99.

Good luck, and I'll be interested in seeing what other owners have to say. :D

Steve Jenkins
10-12-2004, 4:49 PM
John, I have the microfence and several of its attachments. It works as advertised. Extremely accurate and if you have any problems or questions Richard is always very helpful. Steve

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 5:16 PM
I own it and my experience is the same as Steve. Excellent product, albeit not inexpensive. But by merely changing the adapter, it will work with almost any router, too, which brings consistancy. Very precise if you plan on any inlay work...nothing better that I've seen.

Mark Stutz
10-12-2004, 9:45 PM
I have one and agree with Jim. I like to do inlay work, and the micro-adjust capability is very precise. I use it on the small PC router ( not the laminate trimmer--I forget the number) so I can use it one handed, and it performs very nicely.

Cecil Arnold
10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
I also have one and agree with Steve, Jim, and Mark. If you're going to do inlays it is about the best thing you can have.

Roger Barga
10-13-2004, 1:55 AM
Highly recommended. I made round tables (radial matched veneer with marquetry) and apply a 2" wide border of contrasting hardwood - basically I fit a solid wood ring around an MDF round. Using the Micro Fence I can trim the MDF round with the router and then route out the inside of the hardwood ring. The fit is perfect thanks the accuracy of the Micro Fence.

Roger