PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector/Oneida/ V-3000/Gorilla Questions?

richard poitras
12-29-2009, 9:25 PM
I am looking at up grading my dust collection in my shop. Has anyone had any experience with the V-3000 by Oneida? I recently have been in contact with Oneida and they were suggesting the V-3000/ Gorilla/ or Pro line. I have heard good things about the Gorilla but have not heard anything in regards to the V-3000 or Pro line. What are your thoughts in regards to these units? (Please I don’t want this to turn into what companies are the best Grizzly, Oneida, Clearview ect…) any input on these units and options that one should consider would be appreciated. (Steel drum, efficiency gage, remote, bag griper, stand)My shop is 1100 sq. ft. with all the basic major stationary tools.

Thanks Richard

Jim Becker
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Richard, I only have experience with older Oneida offerings (my current system is a 2hp Commercial which evolved into the Gorilla line), but I will say that regardless of which model you choose, you'll get a system that was designed from the ground up for optimum performance by a company that is dedicated to small shop dust collection. I have been exceedingly happy with my own system.

Looking at the current offerings, the V-Series seems to be a "value package" type setup. The Gorilla remains the center of focus for higher performance levels that many of us want for larger tools and or larger shops. The Pro Series is a notch above that. Oneida's suggestions to you sound to me like you probably will get a good fit in the Gorilla line. The V3000 is the "top" model of the value series and since they also included the Gorilla and Pro-Series in the list, they likely feel you'll ultimately need more than that V3000. Pro-Series may be a stretch unless you have serious needs, frankly, but there is no way to even have a conversation about that without knowing a lot more about your shop, tools and needs.

Philip Rodriquez
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I have one and love it. Search for my other posts and you can see my full comments and pics. My key was the fact that I have short runs (20 feet or less) and only one tool at a time. It easily handles my TS and Blade Guard, my 15" planer and my 10" Jointer.

I am really glad that Oneida suggested it and did not try to upsell me... as I would have purchased anything. Total of 5 drops and free duct design!

Philip Rodriquez
12-30-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126311

Paul Wunder
12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Richard,

The key to whether the V-3000 may work for you lies in two areas:

Will the unit provide the CFM at your given static pressures for your shop.

How many machines will you be running.

Your shop is larger than the OP (he had a max 20 foot run). Your runs may exceed 30 feet. Have you done a shop layout (showing machine positions and required ducting and then calculating the duct loss, CFM's, and static pressures? On Bill Pentz's website he has an Excel spreadsheet which will make those calculations for you.

When I was deciding which machine to buy for my 525 sq ft shop, Pentz's worksheet showed me that the V-3000 would not provide the required output based on Oneida's fan curve. Ultimately I decided on the ClearVue.

Philip Rodriquez
12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
When I contacted Oneida, I provided them with my shop layout. They calculated everything and they made the recomendation for the v-3000. I was even sure that I needed the 3 HP SDG... go figure, they could have racked in an extra $1000, and I wouldn't have thought twice.

What a nice company to work with.

Erik Christensen
12-30-2009, 2:44 PM
I recommend following pentz's recommendations as he is the only one I have seen that is focused on health issues. All other systems are sized as chip collectors, but if you do the research you find that is the dust you cannot see that is the real health hazard.

My 2 cents - you want a clean looking shop follow manufacturer guidelines, want a healthy shop go with bill pentz

richard poitras
12-30-2009, 3:12 PM
I know that Oneida will size the collector to the amount of runs/machines you have or need but I was more concerned about any problems with the V-3000 compared to the Gorilla? For those of you that have the V-3000 have you had any problems with the impeller? I read in one post on another site that his came off and that the wall mount bracket flexed when mounted on the wall and he had to mount stabilizer supports from the wall to the unit to keep it straight/level. Also when putting the 3000 together do you still have to silicone the sections together or are they using seals now? Also what accessories have you found to be useful? (Steel drum, efficiency gage, remote, bag griper, stand)… Thanks for all the information so far…..

Richard

Dwayne Watt
12-30-2009, 3:37 PM
My shop has a 2 hp Super Gorilla DC that is more than capable for my needs. I designed the system to keep the runs relatively short regardless of which machine is operating. The remote on/off is a nice to have item for me simply because the motor starter is mounted in a spot that is not very convenient to access. I leave the DC running the majority of the time power tools are in use. Noise is not a big issue on my system.

The bag gripper has been a good accessory that I recommend. It assures that the bag stays put and all drum capacity is used. Maybe it is not necessary, but I am happy with it. I use the standard fiber dust bin. 42 gallon, 3 mil contractor clean-up/garbage bags from one of the big box stores fit this drum very well. These are plenty big enough once you start hefting them around full of chips and debris. that's my $0.02 worth.

Philip Rodriquez
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
When I ordered my v-3000, the motor and impeller came fully assembled. During the assembly, you will use some silicone and some weather stripping, all of which is supplied.

Cyclones are a pretty simple thing, I think you would be happy with either of them.