PDA

View Full Version : Dallas BBQ

Steve Jenkins
10-12-2004, 4:11 PM
Well, here we are less than two weeks away. Just thought I'd post a reminder for anyone who hasn't heard about it yet.
Planned for the weekend of Oct. 22-24 with dinner on 23rd (sat.) at about 2pm.

There will be demos;
Pam Niedermayer on Japanese tools
Sam Simpson on grain filling and french polishing
Dino Makropoulos will be here on Sat. with his EZ Smart Guide rail system for circular saws.
We will have Festool equipment
An Altendorf sliding table saw,
Dennis Peacock who just ran a test on the Festool guided rail system will be here.

If you have any tools you want to sell or swap bring them.

I'm sure there will be several lathes set up for bowls, pens and whatever.

I will furnish as many pen blanks as you need if anyone wants to turn pens for the Freedom Pen Project. Just tell me what size you need and I'll get a bunch ready. Some Bubinga, rosewood, zebrawood, walnut,curly maple, and whatever else I have around here.

Bring a dish and something to sit on if you have it. If not we will have some chairs courtesy of Phil Joines.
Sophie has given us a new Forest WWII to giveaway and I hope to have a few other things to.
see you all in a week and a half. Steve

Kelly C. Hanna
10-12-2004, 5:12 PM
Sounds great!!! I'm lookin' forward to it.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 5:51 PM
Man, this sounds nice...I want a full report, Folks!!

Dennis Peacock
10-12-2004, 6:12 PM
Hotel reservations are now made....right around the corner from Steve's shop and I too am getting excited. I even have the LOML's blessing on me going to the BBQ.!!! :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-12-2004, 6:32 PM
Man, if there is anyway possible I can get away I would love to be there for the BBQ. Right now it don't look like it's gonna happen...............but never say never! :D

I hope everyone has a great time...........sounds like a full lineup.........I hate to miss it. :o

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 7:38 PM
At least you AR, IL, MO, KS, OK guys are close...I already used up my "free pass" going to Terry's! :(

Betsy Yocum
10-12-2004, 8:04 PM
Steve - any chance someone will be giving some help on how to sharpen lathe tools?

Looking forward to meeting some of the names and faces on the creek!:D

Betsy

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-12-2004, 8:10 PM
I'm not gonna make this one. :(

Having a 'real' job is interferring with all aspects of my life. :mad:

KC

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 8:16 PM
Steve - any chance someone will be giving some help on how to sharpen lathe tools?

Looking forward to meeting some of the names and faces on the creek!:D

Betsy
If Peacock is showing up, you can be darn sure his Tormek isn't far behind, Betsy!! :eek: :D

Betsy Yocum
10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
If Peacock is showing up, you can be darn sure his Tormek isn't far behind, Betsy!! :eek: :D
Sounds good - I've wanted to see how the Tormek works outside of a woodworking show - guess this is my chance!!!

now all I have to decide is do I bring my almost world famous chocolate chip cookies or my award winning peanut butter fudge??? :rolleyes:

Looking forward to a good time.
Betsy

Dennis Peacock
10-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Betsy,

I believe that Steve has a Tormek in his shop already. If so, I'll bring my jigs if Steve doesn't have enough jigs for the Tormek and we'll sharpen up your tools in a jiffy.

Steve....let me know if you do or do not have a Tormek....but seems like I remember that you do have one.

Boy, I'm not sure Terry's gonna let me bring all this stuff and shove it in his new truck for a roundtrip to Dallas and back.!!!1 :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Betsy Yocum
10-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Betsy,

I believe that Steve has a Tormek in his shop already. If so, I'll bring my jigs if Steve doesn't have enough jigs for the Tormek and we'll sharpen up your tools in a jiffy.

Steve....let me know if you do or do not have a Tormek....but seems like I remember that you do have one.

Boy, I'm not sure Terry's gonna let me bring all this stuff and shove it in his new truck for a roundtrip to Dallas and back.!!!1 :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:
Thanks Dennis - I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some first hand tips. I've never been to any of the wood shops in Dallas so this will certainly be a treat. :)

Betsy

Todd Burch
10-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Betsy - it's not a decision. Cookies and brownies. Brownies for everyone else and I'll take the cookies!!! COOKIES!!!

I've been contemplating what I can bring.... Any suggestions anyone? (And no, I won't bring any bubinga!!)

Todd

Waymon Campbell
10-13-2004, 8:00 AM
I'm considering my first Festool purchase. Can someone bring a 150\3 ROS for me to test drive?

Steve Jenkins
10-13-2004, 8:02 AM
Dennis youi're right I do have a Tormek and I believe I've got most of the jigs but you better bring the ones you want to use on the lathe tools just in case. I'd hate for you not to have the one you need.

Betsy I agree with Todd. There is nothing that says you can only bring one thing.:>)

Todd since you are so adamant about the bubinga how about some drinks. We have one person bringing soft drinks but I'm sure we can always use more and if you want beer that would be fine too.

Todd Burch
10-13-2004, 8:23 AM
I can bring drinks. Sign me up for drinks. I'll bring an empty cooler and get the beverages and ice up there (...unlike my wife, who would fill up a cooler before we leave on a 1 hour car drive to a heavily populated, store-ridden vacation spot where we were going to spend a week.... go figure... I think she does it because she doesn't have to lift it...).

Steve Jenkins
10-13-2004, 9:01 AM
I'm considering my first Festool purchase. Can someone bring a 150\3 ROS for me to test drive?

I have on hand the 150/3 sander,circular saw,jigsaw,1010 router,shelf pin hole template,vac.

Betsy Yocum
10-13-2004, 9:15 AM
Betsy - it's not a decision. Cookies and brownies. Brownies for everyone else and I'll take the cookies!!! COOKIES!!!

I've been contemplating what I can bring.... Any suggestions anyone? (And no, I won't bring any bubinga!!)

Todd
There's a cookie monster in every crowd! - Todd - I'll make an extra batch just for you so everyone else has a chance! :)

Unfortunately though, I've never been very good with brownies - either to gooey or to hard - so I'll do the peanut butter fudge deal instead. :D

Betsy

Lee Schierer
10-13-2004, 9:41 AM
Steve, We'll see you in a week and an half. Sue is already packed for the trip. I guess I better start soon. We'll give you a call once we are in the area to see what we can bring to help out.

I vote for cookies (chocolate chip) and Brownies.

Terry Hatfield
10-13-2004, 8:28 PM
Steve,

Sounds GREAT!!! I'm looking very forward to it!!! Dennis and I will be blowin' in there Friday afternoon sometime. I'll make sure that the LOML whips up a few goodies for everyone to enjoy.

See ya soon,

Terry