PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Lee Valley Tools/Supplies?

Loren Blount
12-29-2009, 7:38 PM
I received a Lee Valley gift certificate for Christmas and was looking for ideas as to how to spend it. So what's everyones favorite things they get from Lee Valley. I will nominate their bevel up low angle Jack plane as one of my favorite items of theirs I have. Please don't hesitate, their free shipping ends soon.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all

Loren Blount

Peter Quinn
12-29-2009, 8:20 PM
I just got the draw bore pins, but I got (1) 1/4" and (1) 3/8", so I'm going to get one more of each. Can't wait to use them. I've been wanting their shoulder plane for some time. I have several different Stanley's and wish they were veritas each time I use them.

Tony Shea
12-29-2009, 8:59 PM
I do like Lee Valley planes, but just don't think I can come back from using Lee Nielson's. Once you go with Lie's stuff you will never want to own another plane.

I will say that my favorite Lee Valley tool is surprising their Dovetail Saw. For the price there is just nothing better. It's right up there with my Gramercy dovetail saw. If I had to do over again I would probably save the extra $ on not buying the Gramercy and just get the Lee Valley. Very good execution with design and function all in an affordable price.

I hate being a tool junkie, it's so damn expensive.

Jeff Willard
12-29-2009, 9:11 PM
I agree that the LV planes are very nice, but just slightly outclassed by LN. One exception would be the edge trimming block plane. I just sprung for a pair and couldn't be happier. I also picked up a beading tool thinking that there is a lot of potential for this one, but I haven't had the chance to put it through the paces yet.

Greg Hines, MD
12-29-2009, 9:43 PM
I like the Veritas Bench Dogs and Wonder Dogs for my bench. I have a pair of each, and really like them.

Doc

Jim McFarland
12-29-2009, 9:50 PM
LV? A list too long to type for me! Some of more common orders though: disposable bristle brushes, Sierra pen kits, brad point bits, VCI emitters and the brass water hose couplers. I'm also a big fan of their "house brand" router bits and any of their shoulder planes.

Bruce Page
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Timely thread. I received a Lee Valley gift certificate too. I've been scratching my head over what to get. And stupid me, I just threw away their big catalog a few weeks ago. :( (I find their website very outdated and cumbersome.)
Oh well..

Dan Forman
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
They have gotten a lot of my money over the years. I would have to vote for the entire family of bevel up planes - smoother, jack, and jointer as my favorite purchases.

Dan

Mike Henderson
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
My vote goes to the medium shoulder plane and the Mk II sharpening jig.

Mike

Jamie Buxton
12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Their decimal-inch tape measure. It is the only one I know of. It isn't in the printed catalog, but is on the web site.

paul cottingham
12-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Hands down, the low angle jack, followed by the mark II sharpening jig.

Wayne Cannon
12-30-2009, 4:49 AM
Frankly, I like their "book darts" a lot. They look a lot better than the alternatives, and they don't break the bank, either!

;-)

Brian Penning
12-30-2009, 5:02 AM
Their decimal-inch tape measure. It is the only one I know of. It isn't in the printed catalog, but is on the web site.

Mind showing the link for that tape?

Kent A Bathurst
12-30-2009, 7:22 AM
I do like Lee Valley planes, but just don't think I can come back from using Lee Nielson's. Once you go with Lie's stuff you will never want to own another plane....

Agreeup to a point - way too many LN planes on my wall, but the LV scraper plane is sitting right there as well. I really like it. IIRC, the reason I went with LV over LN is that you can "tension" or "bow" the blade.

No toasty and achy fingers + thumbs as with the card scrapers (which still get used, but not as much as before).

Doug Shepard
12-30-2009, 9:23 AM
Their big brad point drill bit set is something I should have bought way sooner. I'm real fond of their 10' RH tape measure too. Any of their planes is worth the $$$ too.

Zach England
12-30-2009, 9:32 AM
For non-WW things, they have some scissors called "chinese scissors" that are dirt cheap and excellent. I also love the gardening tools.

I won't bother adding the WW things I like. There are too many. However, the bench dogs and the new inexpensive dovetail saws stand out.

I don't think comparing Veritas planes to Lie Nielsen planes is fair. They are apples and oranges. Both make excellent planes--this is well documented. However their design philosophies are completely different.

Gene Howe
12-30-2009, 9:33 AM
My vote goes to the medium shoulder plane and the Mk II sharpening jig.

Mike

Exactly my choices, too.

Brian W Evans
12-30-2009, 9:47 AM
I, too, have many "favorite" items from LV. Recently, I've found the following items very useful:

Precision double squares (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44279&cat=1,42936,42945) (I have both)
Sliding square (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32598&cat=1,42936,42945)
Miter Hook (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=60005&cat=1,42936,50298)

Of course, they also carry the Dowelmax now. Good luck deciding.

Tom Esh
12-30-2009, 9:49 AM
Saddle square! Indispensable IMO. Dirt-simple but nicely made.

Chuck Tringo
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
The Bevel up trio of planes (BUS/ LA Jack/ BU Jointer) and Jointer fence, Wonder Pups/Dogs, dovetail saw guides (yep, I cheat)

Bob Johnson2
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Most used is the 6" Starrett combo squre http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57065&cat=1,42936

Callan Campbell
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Umm, anything my wife doesn't know I quietly bought over the past several years:p
Seriously though, I too really like the simple things like their saddle marker and other measuring devices. I own a few of their planes and have never felt I bought a bad one. I also have the beading tool and am still dialing-in my performance with it, but it's me, not the tool that's lacking.
My all time favorite is the Pond, or waterstone sharpening set-up. If you're into using waterstones for sharpening, this simple system of holder bars, storage tank and add-ons really speeds up the work. All self-contained as long as you don't buy too many waterstones[we would never do that, right:rolleyes:]. You can move it from bench to bench, adjust the clamps for any length stone that you use,easily, and they even include a piece of tempered plate glass to work your waterstones back down to flat with wet/dry sandpaper. It's my most used tool from them.

Bill White
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Several years ago I bought the router base/table insert kit for the router table I was building. That sucker worked first time out-o-th-box, and is still in use.:D It was the less expensive one.
Bill

Don L Johnson
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I've used them over the years and consider their products to be well made, backed by their return policy, and eith a good fit and finish. I'm not good at the hand tool aspect of woodworking, but plan on purchasing both the large and small router planes before the free shipping expires. Anyone had any experience with these planes?

Gary Curtis
12-30-2009, 1:02 PM
The Mark II Power Sharpening Machine and the Bench Vice (not QR)

Gary Curtis

Lori Kleinberg
12-30-2009, 1:38 PM
I just got the Veritas® Miniature Shoulder Plane and the Pocket Marking Gauge for Hanukkah:cool:.
I was thinking of getting the Veritas® Bench Blade http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=1&p=64685&cat=4,104,53212&ap=1 with the free shipping.
Has anybody tried them?

Bruce Page
12-30-2009, 1:46 PM
I just got the Veritas® Miniature Shoulder Plane and the Pocket Marking Gauge for Hanukkah:cool:.
I was thinking of getting the Veritas® Bench Blade http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=1&p=64685&cat=4,104,53212&ap=1 with the free shipping.
Has anybody tried them?

I have a pair of the Bench Blades sitting in my shopping cart. I can see where they could come in handy.

Sean Nagle
12-30-2009, 3:08 PM
Anything Veritas. You will not be disappointed.

I especially like their layout tools. Their workbench parts and accessories are also exceptional.

Jacob Mac
12-30-2009, 3:20 PM
I love the BU planes. They are simply wonderful. Easy to adjust, easy to use. They take a lot of the guess work and mystery away from using planes.

I hope they come out with their rabbet block plane soon. I really want one of those.

Will Hon
12-30-2009, 3:33 PM
Veritas Mark II system... really amazing, especially for those who don't feel there are inclined to do there own sharpening.

Scot Ferraro
12-30-2009, 5:18 PM
All of my LV tools are my favorites! :D If I had to narrow it down to the most used, it would be the MKII Sharpening gauge -- that thing is great. I really like the Large Shoulder plane and their spokeshaves too. Of course the Bench Dogs and twin screw vise are great too...

Scot