PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Scroll Saw - Worth keeping?

Heath Brandenburg
12-29-2009, 7:21 PM
I received a Ryobi SC164VS scroll saw for Christmas and am wondering whether it is worth keeping.

I've been contemplating a scroll saw for a while now. Due to the limited use that it will receive, I have been unable to justify to myself (let alone the wife) spending much more than $100 on one and have been watching the classifieds.

Mostly, I've been wanting to try my hand at detailing smaller projects: scrolled box lids, inlays, shelf gussets, and the likes. I can't imagine asking it to cut anything over 3/4" thick. Besides wood, I'd probably toss some 1/4" acrylic and thin, soft metals at it.

Is this lightweight scroll saw capable of cleanly performing these tasks every now and then?

John A langley
12-29-2009, 7:28 PM
Heath - Take it from somebody who knows this one. You did not say who gave you the scroll saw. My wife bought me a chain saw for Christmas. I did not know at the time that she spent her bonus money on it. It was not the best chain saw in the world and has hurt her and me for years. Keep the scroll saw - pretend you are happy with it. Upgrade later and figure out a good reason why you need two scroll saws. Hope you had a merry Christmas.

Heath Brandenburg
12-29-2009, 9:41 PM
John, thank you for the good advice. Rest assured that I have already taken this into consideration and no feelings will be hurt if the saw is returned. I'm sure my wife was even given the gift receipt as I can't be trusted to keep track of a little sheet of paper.

The options as I see them:

Keep the Ryobi if it is a capable machine (less hassles this way)
Return the Ryobi, get a used Dremel or Delta and have a few bucks left over for some blades.
Exchange the Ryobi + $100 for a new Delta SS350L
Return the Ryobi, hope to find a deal on a used Dewalt or a steal on a used RBI (under $200).

Jon Lanier
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
John, thank you for the good advice. Rest assured that I have already taken this into consideration and no feelings will be hurt if the saw is returned. I'm sure my wife was even given the gift receipt as I can't be trusted to keep track of a little sheet of paper.

The options as I see them:

Keep the Ryobi if it is a capable machine (less hassles this way)
Return the Ryobi, get a used Dremel or Delta and have a few bucks left over for some blades.
Exchange the Ryobi + $100 for a new Delta SS350L
Return the Ryobi, hope to find a deal on a used Dewalt or a steal on a used RBI (under $200).

I own a RBI and love it. Excaliber or DeWalt would be good choices as well. If you plan on just nipping around with scrolling the Ryobi may be okay. But if you are wanting to get real intricate with your work, wait for a deal on a better saw.