PDA

View Full Version : Box - Please Critique

Ron Erickson
12-29-2009, 6:01 PM
This is some unknown spalted wooden box with walnut finial and pedestal, 10" x 5". It is unfinished and the pedestal and finial are not glued on. My plan is to make the pedestal and finial out of ebony, these are just practice. Any and all suggestions and/or improvements are welcome because I only have one chance with the ebony. Thank You.
Ron

Ryan Baker
12-29-2009, 6:27 PM
I think it looks really good, Ron. It is very "Drozda".

Maybe just a few very minor tweaks on the pedestal. I would make the details above and below the ball better match each other. And I would tweak the curve of the lower part a bit -- it seems to neck in right below the details. Maybe slightly wider base ... but it's not bad. Should look really good in ebony. I like the finial -- it fits well in size and shape.

alex carey
12-29-2009, 6:35 PM
i agree with ryan, just a few small tweaks, the finial looks perfect though.

Richard Madison
12-29-2009, 6:36 PM
Ron, Very nice piece as is. You might blend the finial into the lid a bit more smoothly. Move the "feature" area of the pedestal downward a little, and as mentioned, eliminate that very thin area of the stem. I actually like the wood you have used for the present finial and pedestal. It gives a nice contrast without competing for attention with the body and lid.

Wally Dickerman
12-29-2009, 6:45 PM
I think that you've done a fine job on this piece. I like it very much. The only change that I would suggest is to continue the thin part of the pedestal farther down in a nice inward curve.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2009, 6:48 PM
Wally - you're fast! Was just gonna mention the same thing. Also, and this is just me - I think the finial should be slightly longer than what it is. As is stands now - it is about 1/2 of the pedestal. I would like to see it about 2/3s of the pedestal - just think it would be a better fit!

David Christopher
12-29-2009, 6:50 PM
Ron, I think it needs a finish put on it and call it done. I think it looks great as is

John Keeton
12-29-2009, 8:46 PM
Ron, I am not qualified to offer critique, but I can compliment you on the wood, and the box itself!! That is some very nice spalted whatever (maple? birch?), and I bet it really pops with some finish on it.

On the choice of wood for the pedestal and finial, IF the box stays light after finishing, then the ebony might be better. However, if the box darkens, then I think walnut would be better. Most would probably say the opposite, I imagine.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2009, 8:58 PM
That is a beauty and agree with the others. A small tweak here or there is all I can see. Very well done.

Curt Fuller
12-29-2009, 9:27 PM
They don't get any better than that! Beautiful work!

Ron Erickson
12-29-2009, 9:49 PM
A thank you for the helpful suggestions, hopefully I have the skill to turn better ones out of the ebony. Ron

Jim Kountz
12-30-2009, 7:41 PM
Ron, I think it needs a finish put on it and call it done. I think it looks great as is

Couldnt have said it better David!!

David E Keller
12-30-2009, 7:55 PM
I think it's beautiful the way it is, but if you want suggestions... My preference is toward less ornate finials and I'd consider making the slender portion of the base a little taller and the bottom of the base slightly wider. The truth is that the piece 'as is' may be better than anything I suggested. I'm looking forward to the finished piece.

Jeff Nicol
12-30-2009, 8:28 PM
Ron, I think you have been given lots of good advice. The main body of the box is good. So turn your next one and then do some practice finials and pedestals until you get it just the way you want, then turn the ebony. We all can do with the extra practice.

Looks good so far,

Jeff

Ron Erickson
12-30-2009, 8:42 PM
The ebony has been turned and the finish started. Pictures to follow in a few days. Thanks every one. Ron

Joseph M Lary
12-30-2009, 8:43 PM
I think it look great, maybe make the base /foot a little bigger.