PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Knife Setter

DanW Miller
12-29-2009, 3:28 PM
Has anyone used the Amana Jointer Knife Setter, MKS-100 ? I cna't find any reviews. It appears to be well made and easy to adjust.

Thanks,
Dan

Larry Edgerton
12-31-2009, 6:49 AM
I've never seen it, and as such am not familiar with the cost but.........

I switched years ago to the Esta disposable knife system and could not be more happy. The cost of new knives is slightly more than sharpening for the cobalt steel knives I use but once adjusted all you do is drop in new knives, or rotate, as they are two sided. The cobalts are better than the HS steel knives and it is about 5-10 easy minutes to change, and they are always as perfect as your initial setup. I charge $45 hr. for my time and so if I am spending a half hour or so installing knives, time after time that amount adds up in a hurry as I tend to like my jointer knives sharp. I do maybe 10 changes a year so five sets a year. No brainer for me.

Chip Lindley
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
A Google search doesn't turn up even an image of the Amana unit you ask about. I would be suspect, if there are no reviews, and the *thing* is not offered for sale on Amazon.

If your jointer has jack screws in the head to raise/lower knife height, at most you need a dial indicator with magnetic base. At least, you need a block of straight wood and a deft touch. Just last week was a thread here using a piece of glass and magnets to set jointer knives. LoTech works so Fine sometimes!

dan petroski
12-31-2009, 1:41 PM
get yourself a dial indicator with a base. you'll use for a lot of other things once you have one.

Bill White
12-31-2009, 2:48 PM
Just my opinion:
Don't get caught up in the "gottahavanewgadget" trend.
I use a piece of glass.
Bill