PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting question

Daniel Muller
12-29-2009, 2:30 PM
I am having a brain fart! I am cutting some acrylic medals for a customer and I need to hole for the ribbon to be cut first and it is cutting last. Anyone help me out? i am drawing a blank here.

David Fairfield
12-29-2009, 2:36 PM
I am having a brain fart! I am cutting some acrylic medals for a customer and I need to hole for the ribbon to be cut first and it is cutting last. Anyone help me out? i am drawing a blank here.

Change the color, and set the driver for color map. The colored bits should cut first.

Dave

Daniel Muller
12-29-2009, 2:43 PM
Thanks dave worked perfectly

Dan Hintz
12-29-2009, 7:17 PM
If you don't want to change the color, select the vector and move it to the front (assuming Corel here).

Doug Griffith
12-29-2009, 7:33 PM
In Illustrator (may also work in Corel), creation order makes a difference. The laser cuts in the order the items were created (if vector sorting is off). So if you select all the elements that are meant to vector cut and "cut" them (not copy) and "paste in place", the creation order will be last. I hope that made sense. Using layers is a more visual way to do it.

Dan Hintz
12-29-2009, 7:50 PM
Doug,

Illustrator should have a "move to front" option, too, no need to cut and paste. In fact, any vector program that is layered should have the ability to change order within the layer.

Doug Griffith
12-29-2009, 7:55 PM
Doug,

Illustrator should have a "move to front" option, too, no need to cut and paste. In fact, any vector program that is layered should have the ability to change order within the layer.

I hear ya. It's just so much easier to do 2 quick key commands that I know opposed to learning another one. Too many apps with too many commands clogging my brain already.

David Fairfield
12-29-2009, 9:06 PM
If the vector cutting is optmized, the order of creation won't work, but the color map will.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2009, 9:13 PM
I think there is a selection someplace in the driver that tells the machine to cut all inside holes first.. I know my TT does that automatically. I just can't remember if I clicked some option to have it do it that way... As a mater of fact, as the years go on, I find there are a lot of things I can't remember anymore :confused:

Michael Hunter
12-30-2009, 5:50 AM
Is the outline of the medal a completely closed path? If not, try closing it and it should solve the problem.

On my machine - using Corel X3 and the Epilog driver, inner details are always completed before the ouside is cut, so long as the outside is a closed path object. (This applies whatever order the bits were drawn in).

Ed Maloney
12-30-2009, 3:56 PM

Just curious. Why does the hole have to be cut first?

Happy New Year!

Ed

Daniel Muller
12-30-2009, 5:18 PM
the hole needs to be cut first because not all medals are resting on pins so when it cuts the outline the acrylic drops down.

Daniel Muller
12-30-2009, 5:19 PM
Dan,
I tried moving to the front and it didn't work. the only thing that did was the color mapping. Also the outline of the medal was a closed and I even combined it so it would cut continous and not jump around.
thanks to all