PDA

View Full Version : Avatar in 3D

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2009, 2:06 PM
Simply awesome. The 3D effect was quite comfortable and worth the extra few dollars (it's available in 2D also). We've seen the plot before and done better IMHO, but I was very glad to have seen it.

My cousin worked with Cameron again as he did on Titanic. One of thousands in the CG artists scroll.

Greg Peterson
12-29-2009, 3:36 PM
I too saw the 3D version. Stunning and often times I forgot that I was watching a 3d movie. Absent were the obvious, ham fisted 3D tricks. It was a much subtler experience, IMO.

The environment was gorgeous. The imaginations that created that world are incredible.

The story pretty much followed the convention. And at times it was a little preachy. But it was a enjoyable experience none the less.

Garrett Ellis
12-29-2009, 3:46 PM
"sci-fi Pocahontas" as my friend described it, but still worth seeing for sure!

Chris S Anderson
12-29-2009, 5:01 PM
"sci-fi Pocahontas" as my friend described it, but still worth seeing for sure!

Dances with Wolves in Space

It even had that line..."How does it feel to betray your own race?" or something like that. Beautiful movie, though.

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2009, 6:01 PM
Dances with Wolves in Space

It even had that line..."How does it feel to betray your own race?" or something like that. Beautiful movie, though.

Also another nod.... "You want me to dance with it?" (the wolf-like creature)

Colin Giersberg
12-29-2009, 6:55 PM
I saw it this past Saturday. The scenes where they were running on the tree branches and looking down from there just gives me the willies, but I did enjoy the movie very much. Just don't go if you have a headache, like I did.

Regards, Colin

Jim Becker
12-29-2009, 7:38 PM
One of my riding instructors saw it in 3D and she was majorly impressed.

Jerome Hanby
12-29-2009, 9:42 PM
We saw it Today (my wife for the second time). Even kept the four year old interested through the majority of it. I pretty much pass on movies at the theater unless it's something so massive that you just can't get the same feel from a DVD at home. This movie would qualify.

Mitchell Andrus
12-30-2009, 8:53 AM
I pretty much pass on movies at the theater unless it's something so massive that you just can't get the same feel from a DVD at home. This movie would qualify.

I feel the same. Blue-Ray on a 52" set/Bose looks SO much better than a movie screen. Like you, I felt that this was an event-type movie. Not many like this anymore... too bad.

I usually pass on cartoon flicks (Spider Man, Transformers, etc.). I know there's no real danger in the CG stunts. A real turn-off. I prefer to know that a real person risked injury in order to show me someone swinging from building to building.

Jon Grider
12-30-2009, 9:46 AM
I enjoyed it, score it about an 8 out of 10. My wife, who judges movies more on plot and content than special effects got a little restless after the first two hours.

Pat Germain
12-31-2009, 12:34 AM
I saw it on my local IMAX screen and enjoyed it. I think "Dances With Eight Foot Smurfs" would be a good title. :p

Ted Calver
12-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Just saw it tonight and was thrilled by the spectacular graphics. We thoroughly enjoyed the film and want to see it again just to catch the action we missed the first time.

Don C Peterson
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I thought it was all flash and no substance. Cameron obviously spent all his money on the special effects, and failed entirely to tell an interesting story.

It was a technically stunning, but utterly boring and predictable movie. None of the characters had the depth of a petri dish and the "bad guys" were so one dimensional that all I could think was that whoever wrote this stinker is a moron. I expect this kind of simplistic characterization from a movie targeted to pre-schoolers, not adults.

I'd pass on it if it weren't already too late...

Paul Atkins
01-01-2010, 3:31 AM
We saw it the other day and the 3 year old behind us kept saying things like 'is that a butterfly, Daddy?" and crying. Very distracting. Why would anybody take a kid to a movie like that? Anyway, I thought the effects were good, but I kept trying to brush bugs off me. The whole thing was a bit disturbing in some strange way too. There was a 5 minute National Guard advertisement right before with tanks and machine guns etc. Very odd. I think that the 'bad guy' had the most passion of anybody in the film, and the most hardware, probably making him the hero to lots of the kids in there and totally negating any message the movie was trying to make.

Mitchell Andrus
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I think that the 'bad guy' had the most passion of anybody in the film, and the most hardware, probably making him the hero to lots of the kids in there and totally negating any message the movie was trying to make.

His (and our) attitude is the reason for the morality play in the first place. No attitude, no conflict. No conflict, no story.

Bill Cunningham
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Went and saw it in 3d last night... I loved the fact that there was very little standard 3d shlock like things pointed in your face etc.. It was almost like watching a live performance if they could do that stuff on a live stage.. My wife and I both jumped when we almost got hit by a smoke canister:D The best thing about this 3d, is you don't have to wear those stupid red/blue cardboard cut your ears off glasses.. The glasses are normal looking and large enough to fit over a pair of prescription glasses so everyone can enjoy the movie. They'll probably make another billion bucks when they release the blueray disk.. P.S. I pocketed the glasses as a souvineer

John Coloccia
02-07-2010, 12:00 AM
http://comixed.com/2009/12/18/comics-comic-strip-yonkoma-avatar-summary/

:D