PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Birch Pricing and suppliers

James Jaragosky
12-29-2009, 1:56 PM
After talking to Buzz from Laserbuzz, it appears that I am paying top dollar for my Russian Baltic Birch plywood (.124).
I am paying $18. for a 5x5 sheet, buzz informed me that many people using his product are paying under $10 a sheet and some as low as $7 a sheet.
I plan on using a lot of BB ply over the next 3 months gearing up for my summer sales. Getting my cost down on the BB would be really helpful.
My question is; What do you pay for Russian BB(.125) and where do you get it?
Best Regards
Jim J.

Martin Boekers
12-29-2009, 2:30 PM
I don't use it right now, but plan on it in the upcoming year.

Actually I was thinking of calling Buzz and see which vendor he recommends.

Did he recommend one to you?

Thanks

Steven Resnick
12-29-2009, 3:30 PM
I bought from Atlantic and with freight it was still less than Hardwoods.
When they shipped the wood to me a couple of the sheets were damaged due to the way it was packaged.
It was just banded and some cardboard around it.
I would inquire how they are protecting the sheets when shipping.
The freight company paid the claim with in a couple of days of submitting.

The thickness of Atlantic was .114.

I believe Buzz get his wood from Hardwoods and the thickness is .120

Atlantic Plywood Corp
Richmand, VA
804-553-1997
Contact is Andy
$10.36 a sheet plus shipping

Hardwoods Inc
Marbleton, GA
$9.50 Sheet plus shipping
404-792-0910

I'm going to order in another month from now and would also like here from others if there is someone else out there with a better price.

Steven

James Jaragosky
12-29-2009, 4:16 PM
When they shipped the wood to me a couple of the sheets were damaged due to the way it was packaged.
It was just banded and some cardboard around it.
I would inquire how they are protecting the sheets when shipping.
The freight company paid the claim with in a couple of days of submitting.

The thickness of Atlantic was .114.

I believe Buzz get his wood from Hardwoods and the thickness is .120

Atlantic Plywood Corp
Richmand, VA
804-553-1997
Contact is Andy

Hardwoods Inc
Marbleton, GA
$9.50 Sheet plus shipping
404-792-0910

I'm going to order in another month from now and would also like here from others if there is someone else out there with a better price.

Steven
Steven thanks for the information. Where are you located?
A fellow Creeker just gave me a contact # for a company out of Pennsylvania that has a hub in Indianapolis.
The price quoted was $9.15 for Russian Baltic Birch bb once side .124 5x5
I ordered ten sheets to start with, if they work out I will get more at the end of the month. Here is their link press 5 for sales.
http://www.distributor-service.com/

Jerry Hewett
12-29-2009, 6:14 PM
Just bought 5 sheets at Atlanta Hardwood. Price was $16+ per sheet. If I had purchased 10 sheets price would have been $14+.

Would like to get in on or start a group buy if possible.

Steven Resnick
12-29-2009, 7:44 PM
James,
I'm in Central Florida, just north of Orlando.
I also bought 50 sheets.

Steven

James Jaragosky
12-29-2009, 7:55 PM
James,
I'm in Central Florida, just north of Orlando.
I also bought 50 sheets.

Steven
What company did you purchase from?
Did you get a good price break on a 50 sheet order?
Thanks for posting.
jim j.

Scott Shepherd
12-29-2009, 8:04 PM
What company did you purchase from?
Did you get a good price break on a 50 sheet order?
Thanks for posting.
jim j.

Jim, he mentioned it in his post.

Atlantic Plywood Corp
Richmond, VA
804-553-1997
Contact is Andy

James Jaragosky
12-29-2009, 8:30 PM
Jim, he mentioned it in his post.
Thanks Scott, I missed that.
For me this is a little like your post about the different pricing for different people. It's kind of like you asking how much is this widget? And them answering how much you got?
The company I currently get my BB from is getting $18 a sheet, and he buys in bulk . The guy down the road is asking $9.15 a sheet and selling in small quantities. That has to be over a 50% markup right there.
It all boils down to greed. It use to be that a business was considered successful if it made between 6 and 10 percent gross profit; now unless you are making 40 percent or more you are a chump.
We should compare pricing on more of our consumable supplies. perhaps even start a co-op.
Jim J.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-29-2009, 9:24 PM
Hey James,
Oouch! :eek: Don't worry I have 9 more toes. :D
Just kidding. Hey there is also a big difference in quality and price from mill to mill.
We ONLY use genuine Baltic Birch and it is grade B/BB. Consistency is the key. Some mills have so so QC and it will show. Some sell you BB/BB (footballs on both sides) at a discounted price. Some will even try to substitute Chinese birch. Please also remember there is more to it than a cheap price.

Shipping costs- varies by LTL, supplier and distance. Most will have a minimum.

Do you have a forklift to unload it or will you be unloading it by hands. 5x5 sheets will take 2 people and that's and area open for damage, scratches or warpage. Every time you handle a sheet it costs you money.

Space to store it - either whole sheets or cut to size blanks.

If you have a regular table saw (not a large sliding table saw) 5x5 sheets are typically not that easy to get accurate cuts without at least 2 people that can work a table saw together in unison.

Those that have a sliding table already know what to do and have already or are continuing to make the $$$ investment.

and many other factors not mentioned (shop overhead, truck, gas, travel time, blade sharpening, insurance, band-aids, waste/damage factor... please feel free to add any I may have missed) that also increase the per sheet costs/price.

Just wanted to make sure that the additional costs required to bring a cut sheet to the laser table are not forgotten.;)

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2009, 9:32 PM
Geeesh.. And all this time I just thought they sucked that stuff out of Russian trees :D

James Rambo
12-29-2009, 9:33 PM
James, I have used kencraftcompany.com in the past. They are in Toledo. Their web site says 1/8"-60"x60" is $11.30. But I believe they charge to cut it. The normal cuts are to 15" incraments. The last time I bought 10 sheets and asked for them to cut to 12" incraments and they made the extra cut for free.

Robert Rosensteel
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Mike thanks for the great wood,very happy and will reorder when I get low. Nice stuff,Thanks Robert

Zsolt Paul
12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
What do you guys pay for 1/2" BB 5x5? I am in NY. What's a good source around here for this?

James Jaragosky
12-30-2009, 7:23 AM
Hey James,
Oouch! :eek: Don't worry I have 9 more toes. :D
Just kidding. Hey there is also a big difference in quality and price from mill to mill.
We ONLY use genuine Baltic Birch and it is grade B/BB. Consistency is the key. Some mills have so so QC and it will show. Some sell you BB/BB (footballs on both sides) at a discounted price. Some will even try to substitute Chinese birch. Please also remember there is more to it than a cheap price.

Shipping costs- varies by LTL, supplier and distance. Most will have a minimum.

Do you have a forklift to unload it or will you be unloading it by hands. 5x5 sheets will take 2 people and that's and area open for damage, scratches or warpage. Every time you handle a sheet it costs you money.

Space to store it - either whole sheets or cut to size blanks.

If you have a regular table saw (not a large sliding table saw) 5x5 sheets are typically not that easy to get accurate cuts without at least 2 people that can work a table saw together in unison.

Those that have a sliding table already know what to do and have already or are continuing to make the $$$ investment.

and many other factors not mentioned (shop overhead, truck, gas, travel time, blade sharpening, insurance, band-aids, waste/damage factor... please feel free to add any I may have missed) that also increase the per sheet costs/price.

Just wanted to make sure that the additional costs required to bring a cut sheet to the laser table are not forgotten.;)

Mike you add value to your sales by cutting to size and shipping. I am sure that your business charges a fair price for the wood and service.

I have access to a panel saw so cutting 5x5 sheets down is not a big issue for me.
I am only interested Pricing in bb/b Russian Baltic birch .125.
The guy that I was buying the Baltic Birch from wanted $2 a cut on top of $18 a sheet.
After talking to several people I have come to believe my old source for BB is getting from my new source, they are about 20 miles apart.
A 50% up charge seems steep for such a short trip.

The old source may be justified in his pricing but as a consumer I am equally justified in shopping somewhere else.

I only ordered ten sheets from the new source, the proof will show in the next few days and I will post on my findings.

wishing you a prosperous new year.
Jim J.

Paul Brinkmeyer
12-30-2009, 9:50 AM
Just to add another source, I use
woodworkerssource dot com
Located in AZ, but they cut and ship. Just look under other, then plywoods.
I get the 5 X 5's but plan on letting them cut into smaller sections in the future.

I do not have anything to compare them to, but I have not had any problems with this BB. But I do not know a lot about lumber.
If anyone can add anything about them, please do.

And why is BB usually found in 5 X 5's?

Lee DeRaud
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
And why is BB usually found in 5 X 5's?I suspect it's actually 1.5x1.5 meters, cut from 1.5x3 meter sheets.

EDIT: a quick google for "baltic birch 4x8" coughs up a bunch of sources for "standard-size" 4'x8' sheets. I suspect the thickness is still metric though.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-30-2009, 4:56 PM
Hey Mike thanks for the great wood,very happy and will reorder when I get low. Nice stuff,Thanks Robert

Thanks Robert :)

Michael Kowalczyk
12-30-2009, 5:14 PM
Hey James,
Wow 2.00 per cut. Good that you have access to a panel saw. It can be a hazard to those who may try it on a contractors table saw, if they are unfamiliar with the proper techniques of cutting thin ply because it is so flexible. Find the stamp on the corner of the BB side and see if they match. That will help you determine if they are getting it from the same mill.

Paul,
5x5's are or should I say were the standard for the older machinery used to make Baltic/Russian birch panels for the European market. Now it seems that they are also switching to 4x8 panels and that is possibly why the Chinese panels are 4x8 since they are tapping into the US market and using newer machines. This is what I have been told by my suppliers.

Jason Ryan
01-20-2011, 2:51 PM
Hello James, greetings from just down the road :-)...

I was curious how your recent experience with DSI went? I called them today requesting pricing on Baltic Birch (below). I must not be ordering enough to qualify for the bulk purchase rate. It looked like their 1st price break is at 15 sheets in which 1/4" BB dropped from $18.42 to $15.28.

1/4" - $18.42 (15 sheets - $15.28)
3/8" - $22.38
1/2" - $27.08
3/4" - $39.59

Edit: I also call Frank Miller Lumber Company which is around 60mi east of Noblesville, and their prices for BB are as follows:
1/4" - $16.88
3/4" - $37.50

William Milligan
01-20-2011, 4:28 PM
I purchased some BB from Mike and was very happy with it...still have a few more sheets left but I plan on getting another load in the near future...the fact that it is cut just to the right size to fit in my laser is helpful...sure, I could cut it myself but hey, having it precut takes one more step out of the process.

Michael Kowalczyk
01-20-2011, 5:32 PM
Jason and others,
When you post the pricing of Baltic/Russian Birch you should also post the quality grade/rank the material is such as B/B, BB/BB, BB/CP, BB/C, etc... so that proper quality can be compared.

Below is the grading chart I found on Columbia Forest Products

B : Select one-piece face has a uniform appearance and is free from defect. This face grade is uniformly sanded.
BB : One-piece face generally light and uniform in color. Pin knots and small sound tight knots are allowed. Occasional "football" patches are color matched to the veneer. Sanding is smooth.
CP : One-piece face similar to grade BB in quality. Sound knots and patches may be more common than BB grade. Small open splits, knot holes and double patches are allowed. May have some streaks and discoloration. Sanding is smooth.
C : Open defects, all sound defects, streaks and discoloration allowed. Does not have to be sanded.

Also any true Baltic/Russian Birch will be metric. Typical sizes are 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 25, 28, and 30mm. If you are using the imperial measurements in your designs, you will find that there is a difference. So my 6mm is actually .236 and 6mm actually equals .23622. So it is pretty close to spec. But I have had 12mm that should be .47244 and actually have a range from .435 to .505. So that is a big difference from one vendor/mill to another. Certain mills I refuse to buy from because there can be such a large variance from sheet to sheet and sometimes even on the same sheet.

Stephen Sullivan
11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks Scott, I missed that.
For me this is a little like your post about the different pricing for different people. It's kind of like you asking how much is this widget? And them answering how much you got?
The company I currently get my BB from is getting $18 a sheet, and he buys in bulk . The guy down the road is asking $9.15 a sheet and selling in small quantities. That has to be over a 50% markup right there.
It all boils down to greed. It use to be that a business was considered successful if it made between 6 and 10 percent gross profit; now unless you are making 40 percent or more you are a chump.
We should compare pricing on more of our consumable supplies. perhaps even start a co-op.
Jim J.
Anyone ever thought of doing a "Group Buy"? Where someone coordinates a bulk buy from least expensive supplier, has it shipped to a central location, and then divided up into the individual orders for each person.