PDA

View Full Version : My first laserbuz package

James Jaragosky
12-29-2009, 1:49 PM
I just purchased my first laserbuzz package.
I got to talk to buzz on the phone for a few minutes, What a nice guy.
I purchased the dog package in 1d, I wanted to add some cash and carry items to my booth for next summer to augment my laser photo sales, this looks like an economical way to do it.
I have Baltic birch questions but I will post in another thread.
Jim J.

Scott A Whitehouse
12-30-2009, 12:53 AM
I also just got my first Laserbuzz Software.
I got the Starter Pak - (little bit of everything), and also got a couple of 3D Ala Carte patterns.
Very pleased with it all. I'm amazed at how much information is provided on the CD, not only how to cut out the patterns, but how to finish them and tips on how to market them.

Scott

Jim Good
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Jim, I set up an ornament stand with Christmas ornaments and Buzz's dog ornaments. I put "I love my XXXX" on each dog ornament so they didn't need to be customized.

When customers came by and loved the dog ornaments, I offered to put their dog's name on them if they would like to place an order and receive it later. I sold a ton of dog ornaments that way. Next year I will sell the dog desktop items to the people who bought the ornaments this year!

I made over $400 in dog ornaments and tributes during the 2-hour craft show at my day job. I am still getting phone calls from those people who saw my dog ornaments on the desks of my customers.

The dog package is hugely popular as is the military organizations.

Jim

James Jaragosky
12-30-2009, 8:25 AM
Jim, I set up an ornament stand with Christmas ornaments and Buzz's dog ornaments. I put "I love my XXXX" on each dog ornament so they didn't need to be customized.

When customers came by and loved the dog ornaments, I offered to put their dog's name on them if they would like to place an order and receive it later. I sold a ton of dog ornaments that way. Next year I will sell the dog desktop items to the people who bought the ornaments this year!

I made over $400 in dog ornaments and tributes during the 2-hour craft show at my day job. I am still getting phone calls from those people who saw my dog ornaments on the desks of my customers.

The dog package is hugely popular as is the military organizations.

Jim

Jim, I am glad to hear that the laserbuzz dog package worked for you. Did you only purchase the 1d dog package? Do you see a market for the 3d dog package?

Buzz has two dog packages. I purchased the first; his second dog package seemed to have more exotic breeds than the first. If all goes well I will purchase the military package in the summer.
Can you tell me a little more on how you displayed your work for the fair.
I am considering purchasing display shelves, Buzz told me Ed Lang use to make and sell display shelves for the laserbuz product line.

James Jaragosky
12-30-2009, 8:27 AM
I also just got my first Laserbuzz Software.
I got the Starter Pak - (little bit of everything), and also got a couple of 3D Ala Carte patterns.
Very pleased with it all. I'm amazed at how much information is provided on the CD, not only how to cut out the patterns, but how to finish them and tips on how to market them.

Scott
Scott, I have not received my package. It is good to hear your positive review of your package.
please post some pictures of your work when you can, I would love to see them.

Jim Good
12-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Jim,

I have many of Buzz's packages. One trick is to buy a 1D package of one type and a 3D in another style. That way you can resize the 3D down to the 1D.

Buy the military organizations in 3D and you'll have all you need to upsize the dogs to 3D.

I displayed the 3D tributes using the stands that are included in Buzz's software package. I put them on the stand and they look great that way. If someone is on the fence, throw in the stand and you'll get them to commit.

I have Ed Lang's ornament stand. It is well worth the price and it works great for Buzz's ornaments. I sprayed it black and it looks nice. I had this sitting on the end of the tables I had at the craft show. Beside that I had the tributes on their stands. I had others under the table that I could show people. Next year I will sell the smaller desktop dogs. I think those that bought ornaments will buy these next time!

I hope that helps!

Jim

David Fairfield
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Had a look at the gallery of dog ornaments, cute. If I were in the market, I'd pass on the "3D". All the ornaments I saw in their gallery were just engraved on a couple of different levels, not contoured. Maybe I missed something? I'd be a little ashamed to call those designs "3D". But then I'm not a marketing genius. :rolleyes:

Dave

Jim Good
12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
The larger tributes that are classified as 3-D are assembled in 3 different layers so there is depth in the final product. It is all cut in one layer in one build and you assemble it in layers. I think 3D is appropriate for lack of a better term!

These tributes are very popular and I know one engraver that went out and sold over $18,000 in military tributes commemorating Veteran's Day. He found places to display his tributes and the request for sales came flooding in.

As with most things, the marketing is still important.

Jim

Scott A Whitehouse
12-31-2009, 12:43 PM
James

Here are photos of the first plaques I did. Painted the background black, but didn't stain any of the foreground. (Didn't have any on-hand at the time and wanted to get them put together.) :)

The clock cutout worked very nice on the horse one. Fit perfectly to the movement.

Scott

Jim Good
12-31-2009, 1:21 PM
Scott, those look good! The clocks are popular. These are the ones I used as samples for the recent craft show. The flash made the background colors lighter. They actually look darker (and better) in person! Photographically challenged! :D

I think the next time around I might try going with black text but colored background in the middle. I'm not sure which looks better. Any thoughts!?!

Scott M Smith
12-31-2009, 5:34 PM
Those look good. I like how you colored them to correspond to each service!

Randy Digby
12-31-2009, 5:45 PM
James, Scott, Jim, et. al., having not touched one of these in person, please tell me how they are constructed. It appears the two ropes, the outer cylinder and the inner design are cut from one piece, finished separately, and then glued/attached to a painted/colored background piece the same diameter. Is that correct? If not, please enlighten me.
You guys do nice work, by the way.

Jim Good
12-31-2009, 5:59 PM
Randy,

The center piece, ring, and outer rope piece are cut together. Everything is vector cut - no rastering. I stain the outer ring and inner graphic with a lighter stain and the ring is darker for contrast. I use a 12x24" piece of material. On one side is the outer ring, ring, and inner piece, and the other side is used to cut the associated background.

The outer ring is glued to the background. The ring is offset with spacers to raise it up one level. The inner piece is raised up two levels (one level higher than the ring). This gives it the 3D look, or depth. Also, I spray the background prior to assembly and all staining is done after cutting and prior to assembling.

You can really get a good assembly line going if you are doing volume tributes.

I hope that helps!

Jim

Scott A Whitehouse
12-31-2009, 9:49 PM
Jim,

I like the idea of color behind the inner graphic and black behind the letters. Think I'll try that the next time I cut some.

Randy,

On two of mine, the outer ring and inner graphic are raised up one level and the inner ring is glued to the background. On the "I love my Dogs", I did the opposite, only raised the inner ring and glued the rest to the background.

Ramon Carrizosa
01-01-2010, 2:18 AM
What is the retail price range for these type of items?

Jim Good
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Ramon,

Typically I get $25 for the pre-made tributes and $30 for the customized ones. Sometimes I have to go down to $25 for the customized ones.

It takes one sheet of 12x24" plus the cost of the stains and paints. That is the cost of materials and then add in your laser time and your time. There is still a good margin when selling these for $25.

I package them in clear bags that look nice. clearbags.com

I hope that helps!

Jim

Pat Shirkey
01-01-2010, 9:21 PM
I did this golf plaque for a customer. The freighter plaque was for my craft show. I like the 2 tone. Just takes longer...

Jim Good
01-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Pat, the two-tone does look better. I'll do it that way on my next tributes. Thanks for the pictures.

Jim

Ramon Carrizosa
01-02-2010, 12:14 AM
thank you for information and have a great 2010

Joe Hayes
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Since we are on the subject of Lazer Buzz products, are those of you who are doing them on a regular basis using Baltic Birch for your wood or are you using some other type of wood? I cannot seem to find Baltic Birch locally at any of the major places ( Home Depot, Menards, Lowes) or any of the local lumber yards. I know that I can get it shipped in but hate to think of that shipping expense. One of my goals this year is to expand my markets and using the LB products maybe one of my avenues.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

James Jaragosky
01-02-2010, 2:48 PM
Since we are on the subject of Lazer Buzz products, are those of you who are doing them on a regular basis using Baltic Birch for your wood or are you using some other type of wood? I cannot seem to find Baltic Birch locally at any of the major places ( Home Depot, Menards, Lowes) or any of the local lumber yards. I know that I can get it shipped in but hate to think of that shipping expense. One of my goals this year is to expand my markets and using the LB products maybe one of my avenues.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Dsi has a outlet in Evansville In. http://www.distributor-service.com/

Jim Good
01-02-2010, 6:20 PM
Joe, I use Baltic Birch. You can get it from Michael Kowalczyk. He packages it in 12x24" sheet (or custom sizes) and you get 25 sheets for $50. I think that is the price. PM him and he can hook you up. For $2 a sheet, I can still make a Laserbuzz tribute at a good margin.

I have a place in Chattanooga that has good prices but they won't cut the 5x5' sheets. Once I get where I need a larger volume of wood, I will buy the 5x5' and get someone local to cut it. I think I may have someone that has a panel saw that can cut it for me. Until then, I'm perfectly happy buying from Michael.

Joe, I hope that helps.

Jim

Anthony Welch
01-02-2010, 8:56 PM
When I sell a Tribute that someone wants personalized, I insist on them giving me as much info. on the presentee as possible even if it's days or weeks before they get back to me.

I get such info as rank, years in and out, job, units served, special duties (ie. honor guard, ceremonial duty, etc.). The more you can get on there about the service person, the more they'll appreciate/cherish it.

I get more emotional response from Tom's designs than any other thing I do. This Christmas, I had a customer call me and said her grandfather sat with the Tribute in his lap admiring it for over an hour.

Anthony

ps: If you have the time you can do things like this.

Jim Good
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Anthony, those are awesome! I'm not that creative!!! :p

I can understand the recipient being very happy with those tributes.

Jim

Mike Null
01-03-2010, 9:28 AM
Anthony

Outstanding work!

Joe Hayes

I use Mike's baltic birch as well and have been very happy with it.

Ray Uebner
01-03-2010, 4:24 PM
Hi
I have almost all of Laserbuzz just missing a few. They sell well here in Ca.
They do look good with the letters black and the inner with the color of the branch. I do them that way all the time and poeple pick them of the plain black or full color for letter and emblem. Also you can take the design one step further just think out side the box and you can customize any with the basic design. The 3D sell better than anything else here, and the dog ornaments sell great too.