PDA

View Full Version : Bowl videos / books for total newbie

Cliff Holmes
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
OK, I'm hooked. I had to play with my wife's new 3520b. I have *no* idea what I'm doing, but I grabbed a chunk of relatively green water oak firewood and turned the outside of a bowl, which have always fascinated me for some reason. It's ugly wood, but it's just for fun. However, I turned the tenon too small for the chuck to grab, so it's waiting for a smaller set of jaws before I go on.

In the meantime, I'd like to get a better idea on the right way to do stuff. My wife's not into bowls, so no help there. Nearest turning club is over an hour's drive away and their schedule doesn't mesh well with mine. YouTube has a lot of stuff, but lots of it is in multi-part series and I often can't find some parts.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a video or book for the complete bowl-turning novice. Available on Amazon would be a plus so I can have it in hand for the long NY weekend.

Tony De Masi
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Cliff, I would suggest Bill Grumbine's first video, Turned Bowls Made Easy. Excellent video from cutting the blank to finishing. Plus Bill's way of presentation is quite humerous so it's easy to watch. And you will watch it many times as well using the rewind button as he suggests.

There are many others out there but I love this one.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy".........

Brian Effinger
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll add a third for "Turned Bowls Made Easy".

Sean Hughto
12-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree that Grumbine's DVD is excellent. I also found Raffan's Turning Wood and Turning Bowls very good.

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 12:31 PM
+1 for Grumbine's video. I also like Jimmy Clewes' Back to Basics. While not strictly bowl turning it also covers spindle work and sharpening.

Cliff Holmes
12-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the input! Grumbine's video isn't available at Amazon, but my local Woodcraft has one copy that's now being held until I can pick it up tonight.

Tony De Masi
12-29-2009, 5:17 PM
Cliff, you can also order it directly from his web site which I won't post here.

Tony

Mauricio Ulloa
12-29-2009, 9:59 PM
Hi,

I like the Mahoney video on bowl turning. I also like the videos from David Ellsworth. You can get all of them at www.iamplify.com

Good luck!

Mauricio

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I would also suggest Mike Mahoney's From The Tree To The Table and also Keith Rowley's Woodturning-A Foundation Course. Both are excellent.

Cliff Holmes
12-30-2009, 2:15 AM
Cliff, you can also order it directly from his web site which I won't post here.

According to one moderator, it's OK as long as it's not a .com address :rolleyes:

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 7:43 AM
OK, I'm hooked. I had to play with my wife's new 3520b.So, be honest here Cliff - was the lathe her present.....or, perhaps...... Hmmmmm! I detect a slick move on your part!

I enjoyed the Grumbine "Turned Bowls made Easy" and also picked up some info from the "Beyond the Basic Bowl" but not as much in the way of technique. Both are good videos.

I just started viewing the Raffan - "Turning Wood", and can't comment yet.

steven carter
12-30-2009, 3:07 PM
Cliff,

While you are waiting for a purchased dvd to arrive (I also recommend Grumbine's) you might want to check out J.T. Dunphy on youtube, he goes from log to bowl.

Steve