PDA

View Full Version : Penturner's help needed

Ruth Niles
12-29-2009, 9:33 AM
Hi All and I hope we all have a terrific New Year!

I got my 9 yr. old granddaughter a mini lathe for Christmas. It's a used one and it came with a ton of pen blanks and kits. I've never turned a pen (sorry!) and they live in FL, I'm in PA so I can't be of any help.

If there is anyone who turns pens and lives near Englewood, which is by Venice, and would like to help Haleigh get started, that would be so nice.

I will be in FL for the Symposium in 2 weeks but won't be going to their house. I did register them for the show and both Michael (my son) and Haleigh are excited since they've never seen anyone but me use a lathe.

This picture was taken Christmas day, she couldn't wait to get started! I don't think I have to tell you how proud I am, right?!? :D

Ruth

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2009, 9:39 AM
Congrats Grandma!

Surely there is a pen turner in the area that will jump up and offer to help her!

Let's go Creekers. Here's an opportunity.

Paul Douglass
12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Ruth, might post your request on IAP site also. What a lucky Granddaughter.

Greg Just
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
You might look for a turning club local to her and ask them for help. What a lucky girl!

Ruth Niles
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you......

There must be a club within 30 min. drive, I would think? I'll have to check at the AAW site.

I'll have to see if I can post to the IAP or if I have to register first. That's an excellent suggestion.

I don't think it's going to be very long before I can post a picture of Haleigh's first successful pen. :)

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Ruth this is probably the closest Florida Club:

Peace River Woodturners Inc (http://www.peaceriverwoodturners.org/)
Punta Gorda, FL
Chuck Biggs
cbiggs17 @ comcast.net
Club meets on 3rd Thursday of the month

Not sure how accurate the data is, I haven't checked it in awhile. I am webmaster for a club on the east coast of florida, I hope to see you at the symposium!