PDA

View Full Version : the "BORG"

Chuck Tart
12-29-2009, 9:07 AM
I am a newbie/wannabe wordworker and just registered on this forum. I have been browsing posts and have learned a lot just reading - absolutely great guys here - I have not seen the usual vitriole and rudeness seen on a lot of forums.

I see the term in many posts and understand the term BORG refers to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. but cannot figure out where the term was coined - anyone?

Chuck

Jim O'Dell
12-29-2009, 9:26 AM
Welcome to the Creek Chuck. I'm going to make a prediction that you are going to love it here!
The term Borg has several meanings. I believe the original was "Big Orange Retail Giant" for Home Depot, although it has morphed some to include Lowes and any other large firm that comes in and wipes out (or assimilates) the competition.
There are a lot of acronyms used here...you'll get the hang of it! Jim.

Gene Howe
12-29-2009, 9:28 AM
Well, it means Big Orange Retail Giant. (Home Depot) Where it originated, I have no clue. But the term has been around ever since I've been lurking net forums and I remember seeing it even earlier on some WW email lists.

Joe Scharle
12-29-2009, 9:33 AM
We use it to mean Blue/Orange Retail Giant around here.

Andy Muckle
12-29-2009, 9:33 AM
Hi, Chuck.

Do you remember Star Trek - The Next Generation a few years back? The Borg there was a giant cubic spaceship filled with cyborgs that overran and "assimilated" everything in its path, much as the borgs may do to mom and pop lumber yards / hardware stores in the towns they come to. Or, Big Orange Retail Giant! That works too.

Andy

Mitchell Andrus
12-29-2009, 9:47 AM
Star Trek Next Generation. BORG: "You will be assimilated, resistance is futile". Began when it became apparent that they were going to be a category killer. Also applied to Walmart, K-Mart, etc.

Slang for "cyborg" (cybernetic organism). One of the earliest uses of "cyborg" was in "Cyborgs and Space," Astronautics, September, pp. 26-27 and 74-75 in 1960.