PDA

View Full Version : New recruit - KK 10 1/2 with adjustable throat!

James Taglienti
12-29-2009, 8:17 AM
Oh my - a little gloat never hurt anyone... Santa brought me a neat little Keen Kutter 10 1/2 type 1 complete with an adjustable toe and a Hock iron! Made for a little while by Ohio Tool Company. Joy of joys! I simply cannot stop rabbeting. I have also decided to use it to edge join short boards since the middle of the iron doesn't get too much use anyway. I can't wait to trim a tenon with it, i'm surprised i haven't mocked one up yet to try the plane on. The Adjustable toe isn't the MOST useful thing, but it does have a very slight angle on the milled portions so the farther you move it out, the deeper the cut. It is also the only way to take the blade out without really fussing with it. But it is super cool. I rabbet all the way through a piece of walnut earlier. : )

Phillip Pattee
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
That's a nice plane. I've never seen one with an adjustable mouth before. You suck.:)

Tony Zaffuto
12-30-2009, 8:43 AM
Dayum nice plane ya got there!

Jim Koepke
12-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow, that is a cool plane.

jim

Mark Stutz
12-30-2009, 6:27 PM
James,
You have a fairly scarce plane...probably significant collector value ( though the value of anything is only what someone will pay you for it!:D). Stanley only made the adjustable mouth for a few years when they initially introduced this plane in 1885 (info from Blood and Gore) so it is fairly uncommon. I have only seen one other one. The fact that it is Keen Kutter will make it even rarer. There are collectors that only collect Keen Kutter tools and such. I have no idea if anyone else made tools for Keen Kutter other than Stanley, and haven't looked to see if MF or Sargeant made a similar model.

Mark

Mike Henderson
12-30-2009, 6:40 PM
A question about the use of the plane, please. Since there's no fence on the plane, do you clamp a guide board on the wood to be rabbeted and push the plane against that board? Just wondering how you cut a straight rabbet with that plane.

Also, many rabbets I cut are narrow - for example, to inset a 1/4" back to a cabinet. Will that plane cut rabbets that narrow, or does it only work well for larger rabbets?

Mike

Mark Stutz
12-30-2009, 7:10 PM
Mike,
I don't believe this was a "Cabinetmaker's Plane". IIRC Stanley referred to them as Carriage maker's planes. They were used for large scale work...timber framing, coach making, etc. I've used one for raising panels, but it's only useful for the long grain sides, but you don't need a pair.

Mark
Addendum...and yes, a batten would have been needed.

Jim Koepke
12-30-2009, 7:16 PM
Looking at the lateral lever and the brass adjustment nut, it looks like that could be made by Union Tools. The tote and knob do not look like those I have seen on Union Tools, they used mahogany.

Just another plane to put into the rabbet stew?

jim

Stephen Reid
12-30-2009, 9:01 PM
Its funny I had never seen one before either,but today there are 2 on the bay with the adjustable mouth.Both stanleys

James Taglienti
12-30-2009, 9:23 PM
This plane was manufactured by Ohio Tool Company. The tote gives it away with it's two screws and the shape by the front of the bottom it is rosewood, which Ohio used in their early iron planes. The lateral is also twisted in a different spot. It will cut any width rabbet. My wife used it last night to sink a 1/4" rabbet in a drawer front. It cuts equally well across the grain and doesn't seem to need a nicker. It is a pretty rare plane but it is such a sweet user we decided that it would stay in the shop. She marked the rabbet with a slitting gauge, and clamped a board on it, and went to town. As far as this thing being only for large scale work, I disagree. It has plenty of finesse and is quite comfortable to hold. The #10 is more of a carriagemaker's plane. This is known as a "Smooth Rabbet." My wife named it Peanut. If you can get ahold of one of the stanley's i highly reccomend this format.

Mark Stutz
12-31-2009, 12:37 PM
James, you are indeed corrrect. I was thinking of the #10:o. In my defense, my tools have been packed up for about 15 months now...so my memory isn't as good:D ( That's my story and I'm sticking to it:D:eek:)

It would not have occurred to me to even try it with a 10 1/2. I have touble keeping my rabbet planes plumb to get a square rabbett. I can visualized keeping the cheek up against the batten would aid in that. Sounds like an excuse to get a new plane!:D

Mark