PDA

View Full Version : Which easy rougher is better??

Jack Gaskins
12-29-2009, 5:32 AM
I have a post from yesterday about using one of those hollowing easy rougher type tools on boxes and was told that they work great. So, after looking at several brands sold by the tool companies and those made and sold by individuals which one/s do you guys prefer. I assume I will need a regular size and a mini and one with a round insert and square? I would start out using them making boxes.

Thanks, Jack

Roger Bullock
12-29-2009, 8:19 AM
I too have been thinking the same way as you and will be watching this thread for comments. I've looked at several site that sell the cutters (tips, usually sold 10 at a time) and have thought about purchasing the tips and making my own tools, has anyone had any experience doing this?

Dan Forman
12-29-2009, 5:43 PM
I made my own - very simple. There are a few threads over on penturners.org on doing this. I had a few spare Byrd cutters, or you can order these non-radiused cutters if you prefer a straight edge.

14.3 x 14.3 x 2.5mm 35 degree

There is no need for the mini size tool, unless you are doing a very small box that you could not get the 1/2" tool into. The plastic shield Easy Rougher sells is pretty handy for deflecting debris.

I only have the square tool, that's all you would need for boxes.

Dan

Ryan Baker
12-29-2009, 6:35 PM
I made one as well. For boxes, the square tool would be the one to have. I don't see much need for a round cutter, but I don't do things like roughing bowl interiors with it. The regular size tool would be useful for boxes -- giving the strength to hang over the rest a bit. Unless you can't fit the regular tool in, I don't think you would need the small tool.

These tools are pretty easy to make. Just get a chunk of square bar stock, grind the end a bit, and tap a hole for the screw holding the cutter. Add a handle and you are set.

Jamie Straw
12-29-2009, 6:53 PM
I made my own - very simple. There are a few threads over on penturners.org on doing this. I had a few spare Byrd cutters, or you can order these non-radiused cutters if you prefer a straight edge.
Dan

Dan, somethin's wrong with the link above. It's not a URL.:confused:

Dan Forman
12-30-2009, 1:38 AM
Dan, somethin's wrong with the link above. It's not a URL.:confused:

Yup, there sure is. Seems I used to be able to drag links from my desktop. Now to avoid the above, I have to actually open anther window, launch the browser and drag from there. Try this http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

Dan

Jamie Straw
12-30-2009, 1:56 AM
Thanks, Dan. One of the things I really like about turning is the idea of making your own tools.

gary butcher
12-30-2009, 3:37 AM
I'd love to make my own but I can't, so I bought the Easy Rougher Ci1 LE yesterday. It's good, very good. :cool:

Oh, and I will be getting the chip shield. This thing throws chips *everywhere*. I ended up covered head to foot from making a pair of headphone cups. It certainly whacks the wood out in very short order. Wish I could afford the Easy Finisher too.

Keith Harrell
12-31-2009, 4:00 PM
Take a look at the replacement tips from

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html

I used the 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm sold in a set of ten for $20.00. They are the same size as far as I could tell and they fit and work the same as the original one.

Dave Mueller
12-31-2009, 7:06 PM
I bought the Ci0 round tool and put it on an elbo hollowing tool. It works much better than the standard 1/4" square tool steel bit, and of course, doesn't need sharpening. It actually acts like a combination of the 1/4" square bit and the half-moon scraper, so you create fewer ridges than with the square roughing bit. Finally, although it was not dull yet, I tried lapping the round Ci0 bit face down on my diamond hone, and that seemed to sharpen it. That's one of the advantages of the flat topped carbide bits as opposed to the "cupped" Hunter bit. It will probably last forever.

gary butcher
01-01-2010, 2:55 AM
x2
the rougher and finisher cutters are pretty easy to edge on a diamond sharpener. I did my slightly worn square and round cutters and the results are quite positive. I think these will last a very long time. The Easy finisher cutter also works quite well in the round bar Sorby multi-scraper handle when used as a scraper at an angle. Cuts very fine swarf and doesn't pull or dig when tilted over. The sorby screw sits in the cutters countersunk hole and grips it well. Just another option for using the round cutter.

The Ci1 keeps impressing with how quick and easy it is to get my wood shaped out and now I have the chip shield fitted it's not nearly as messy :D