PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Recommendations

Paul Zonneveld
12-29-2009, 1:13 AM
Fellow woodworkers,

It looks like my significant other might just approve the purchase of a Griz bandsaw. I am doing a lot more of my own veneering work and right now am restricted by the 6" cutting height of the 14" Rikon I currently have. I have been looking at this Griz (G0514X2 19" Extreme Bandsaw-3HP, Single Phase) but would like some input on the quality of this saw and its ability to resaw. I use the bandsaw for other round cutting however the main purpose is for resawing. So my question is about the Griz I mentioned is it worth the money and also are their any other comparable saws I should be looking at? Your input as always is much appreciated. Great community and a wealth of infomation here.

Brian Kent
12-29-2009, 1:22 AM
I think there are great tools at great price points in all of the Grizzly saws in the 513 and 514 series. Resawing and curves.

Brian (a happy 513X2 owner)

Guy Belleman
12-29-2009, 5:21 AM
I have been very happy with the G0513X. Besides price, I didn't consider some other features that important when I bought it. However, I have grown to really like the two windows, one for adjusting the tension and the other for monitoring the blade tracking. Sure beats opening the door to adjust the tracking on the wheel.

The quick tension release is also nice.

I see in the Grizzly bandsaw comparison chart that the G0514X2 and G0514X3 are exactly the same, except that the X3 can be wired for 440V. This may not be important, as both are wired for 220V, but the X3 right now is $55 cheaper and has free shipping, another $94 value, making it $149 less than its identical sister the X2.

glenn bradley
12-29-2009, 9:10 AM
G0513X here as well. I easily cut 1/8" material for scroll and fretwork. I just did some sub-1/16" slices for a project last night with a 1/4" 8TPI Timberwolf blade :eek:. Normally I use a 3/4" blade for tall resawing but I just needed a couple of small panels and it really surprised me at how well it worked. Saw tracks great with no fear of running the thin 'keeper' against the tall fence if that is your preference. I put the spoil (or blank if you will) to the fence but either works. The increased power and mass of the 514 would be welcome if I primarily did thin cuts.

richard poitras
12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I had a 514 and thought it was a good saw for the price.

Richard

Jeff Duncan
12-29-2009, 1:58 PM
If you were open to used you would be able to pick up something better for what that machine is going to set you back. I've found I can't afford anything new that is made as well as my older equipment. Just my experience.
good luck,
JeffD

Matt Armstrong
12-29-2009, 2:46 PM
I just received a G0514x2. It's an interesting machine - it's very sturdy and heavy duty and manly, but then they package a wimpy little fence system and a terrible blade with it... odd.

Paul Zonneveld
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Sure helps to hear from other folks who have one of these saws. I looked at the Jet and Powermatic and then steel city and shop fox saws but none seem to offer the same level of motor power or resaw capacity at even a similar price. Seems like the Griz is just the best option for the money.

george wilson
12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not bothering to google these models,but do be careful if buying a resawing bandsaw to not get one with a very LOW table. Some of them have very low tables to make resawing large wood easier. That is their primary purpose.

Rick Fisher
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Good point on the resawing bandsaws.. I find my saw table low.. its great for resawing, but for really detailed scrolling work, I would want it closer to my eyes.. :)

If I did a lot of scroll work, I would actually lift it up off the ground by a foot ..

Curt Harms
12-31-2009, 8:45 AM
Good point on the resawing bandsaws.. I find my saw table low.. its great for resawing, but for really detailed scrolling work, I would want it closer to my eyes.. :)

If I did a lot of scroll work, I would actually lift it up off the ground by a foot ..

You wouldn't if you were...... vertically challenged...:p. I built a lower base for my Rikon for just that reason.