PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Gift from My Wife

Steve Mawson
12-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Wife asked what I would like for Christmas, told her a Thompson 1/4" Detail Gouge would be nice. Knew his website listed that tool as sold out so told her she would probably have to call Doug to see what he could do for Christmas. No surprise she called him and THANK YOU DOUG, he found one and it now has a handle and is ready to go. Hard Maple soaked overnight in home made Danish Oil. Also thanks to my wife of over 40 years, I think I will keep her, she has to be a saint to put up with me.

Bruce Lundgren
12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Steve: Love the handle. Well done!
LOML also gave me a Thompson bowl gouge for Xmas. What did you use for the ferule and wgere did you get it?

David E Keller
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Very nice tool and handle... I think I spy a little stone inlay near the ferrel. That's not something you see everyday. Thanks for posting.

Steve Mawson
12-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Bruce,
Used a brass ferule, I think it was 1/2" size-might have been 3/4", for copper tubing. Turned the end of the handle so the ferule would thread on and put it on tight. Then turned very slow and used a mill file to take off the corners, then sanded with the rest of the handle. I picked up the ferule at Lowes, they are available at many hardware stores. This is a nice heavy one.

Steve Mawson
12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Very nice tool and handle... I think I spy a little stone inlay near the ferrel. That's not something you see everyday. Thanks for posting.

Yep, had a little gap so made the gap bigger and filled it with turquoise.

John Keeton
12-29-2009, 7:40 AM
Steve, I have the 3/8" detail gouge - you are going to love this tool!! Nice work on the handle - even better work on picking a great woman to spend your life with!!!:D

On the question of ferrules (sp?) I picked up a copper repair joint designed to ago over 3/4" copper to repair an in line leak. I believe it is 7/8" ID, and about 8" long. I used a tubing cutter to cut a section for the ferrule. You still need to file the inside to remove the burr from the tubing cutter, but it takes just a few minutes with a chainsaw file. Works great. I made mine a tight fit and tapped them on using a smaller cutoff of the pipe and a small wood scrap to buffer the hammer.

Doug Thompson
12-29-2009, 9:47 AM
Looks good Steve, that was the last 1/4 inch detail here, more are being machined tonight.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2009, 9:20 PM
Great looking handle and you will love the tool.

Tom Steyer
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Congrats steve. I have one of these too - you'll have to show me how to use it. Nice handle!

jason lambert
01-04-2010, 4:02 PM
Congrats. Nice tool. Doug does go out of his way to help people. He has made tools out of thin air for several people I know, including myself. Great person to deal with. If the wife lets you turn and buys you tools keep her! Honey I am going to the shop to turn is a bad sentince in my house.

Allen Neighbors
01-04-2010, 7:09 PM
Glad you decided to keep her! :D I've got one of those, too! (the wife, I mean)
Oh yeah, nice handle:)