PDA

View Full Version : Building a stand for my Delta midi

Brett Elliott
12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey all,

I'm working on a design for a stand for my Delta midi lathe. I've attached a couple images from SketchUp. It's a pretty basic stand made from 2x4s with a top made of two 3/4" sheets of MDF glued together. The bottom shelf will hold the sand bags.

The first image has the vertical panels removed to show the structure. The vertical panels should take care of any racking, and make the stand look a bit cleaner.

The top is 20" deep, and 48" wide. This gives me enough width to put my grinder on the stand as well. The height 34 1/2", which puts the center of the lathe at 47" (2" above my elbow as suggested by Richard Raffan).

Any thoughts or suggested improvement?

Thanks and have a great new year!

Brett

David E Keller
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Brett that looks like a good idea. I would think about incorporating some storage drawers or at the very least a ballast box in the hollow beneath the top... Otherwise, it's just dead space.

I would also figure out a way to try the lathe with varying spindle heights before building it. Raffan's suggestion is probably in the ballpark, but you might prefer something a little shorter or taller.

I'd probably add some hooks or hangers to the outside of the box to allow for hanging calipers, etc.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be wheels... Do you want this thing to be mobile?

Finished pics appreciated

Brett Elliott
12-29-2009, 8:16 AM
Hey Brett that looks like a good idea. I would think about incorporating some storage drawers or at the very least a ballast box in the hollow beneath the top... Otherwise, it's just dead space.
The bottom is about 6 cubic feet. My plan was to fill that space with 400 lbs of sand, but that's only about 4 cubic feet of sand. I think putting in a couple of drawers at the top is a great idea. Heck, I could even move the lower shelf, and maybe get two rows of drawers in there.

I would also figure out a way to try the lathe with varying spindle heights before building it. Raffan's suggestion is probably in the ballpark, but you might prefer something a little shorter or taller.
That's a good point about the spindle height. Maybe I'll shorten the legs an inch or two, then I can try the lathe a different heights by putting pieces of scrap plywood under the lathe's legs. Once I determine the height I like, I can either leave those in place, or raise the whole operation by building some feet of some kind.

The only other thing that comes to mind would be wheels... Do you want this thing to be mobile?
I'd love to add wheels to this beast, but my concern was that the whole stand wouldn't be as stable, even if I used locking casters. Any thoughts on that?

Finished pics appreciated
My new camera will be arriving in the mail tomorrow (a Canon 7D), and I'm probably going to be taking pictures of everything in sight. There will definitely be pictures :)

Thanks!
Brett

Prashun Patel
12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I'd double up the legs Put cripple studs under and over the shelf laminated to the existing legs. This'll add stability and will help support the weight a little better. I like the closed back and sides for stability.

Chris Stolicky
12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Congrats on the camera, and yeah, and the lathe.

My suggestion would be to lower the center of gravity more and put that ballast closer to the floor. If you did this, it would accomplish three things - 1) a more stable stand, 2) room for drawers & handy storage, and 3) less wasted space underneath the stand.

Looking forward to pics from the new camera.

Roger Wilson
12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey all, I'm working on a design for a stand for my Delta midi lathe. ... The bottom shelf will hold the sand bags. ....

You don't really need sand bags for a midi lathe. Splayed legs or trestle table type feet will supply all the stability you need. You won't be turning 100 pound out of round bowl blanks.

You'd be much better off using the space for shelves and drawers. You will be collecting tools, chucks, drills, sanding equipment and supplies, safety glasses, face shield etc. and will need someplace to put it. Think more in terms of making a small cabinet.

Good luck.

Brett Elliott
12-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I'd double up the legs Put cripple studs under and over the shelf laminated to the existing legs. This'll add stability and will help support the weight a little better. I like the closed back and sides for stability.

Here are some updates. I added two extra cripple studs to each leg, and added some rabbets for the panels. Perhaps a bit of overkill, but it will look nice :)

Brett Elliott
12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
You don't really need sand bags for a midi lathe. Splayed legs or trestle table type feet will supply all the stability you need. You won't be turning 100 pound out of round bowl blanks.

You'd be much better off using the space for shelves and drawers. You will be collecting tools, chucks, drills, sanding equipment and supplies, safety glasses, face shield etc. and will need someplace to put it. Think more in terms of making a small cabinet.

Good luck.

While I certainly won't be turning any 100 pound blanks, I have found that even small out of balance blanks are enough to cause some pretty serious vibration with my lathe on my work bench. The sand certainly won't hurt, except for the fact that it takes up space, and I think I'm willing to live with that. Also, the sand is in bags, so it will be easy enough to try it with and with out. If it's fine without the sand, I'll find another use for it.

Thanks!
Brett

Mike Peace
12-29-2009, 1:07 PM
I agree with Roger Wilson. Look at the design of the Jet mini lathe stand. Very stable and works well. I never saw a need to add sand to my mini and I turned a number of bowls on it before moving up to a PM3520.

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 1:35 PM
My table looks similar, but no ballast. I stored my vacuum and pancake compressor there until I upgraded the vacuum, now just the vacuum and steady rest. I made a shelf about 4"down from the top to store chisels and such without their getting buried in shavings. Also use it to store spindle stock.

I have a Jet 1220 and it is not fastened to the table. Only one or twice have I thought about doing so, but found that it was nice to be able to reposition it depending on what I'm working on. I do not turn large rough stock often, so it has not been a problem.

If you lower the bottom shelf too much it gets to be a pain to clean under. :mad:

Roger Wilson
12-29-2009, 2:13 PM
Here are some updates. I added two extra cripple studs to each leg, and added some rabbets for the panels. Perhaps a bit of overkill, but it will look nice :)

Here is a pic of a shopnotes mini lathe stand. Lots of good use of the space for tools and materials. If you want to add sand you can put bags on the sides, still allowing for lots of draws and shelves.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/plansnow/mini-lathe-closer1.jpg

Sid Matheny
12-29-2009, 3:06 PM
This is the stand I built for my first lathe and put the wheels on the end low enough that when you pick up the other end the wheels touch the floor and will roll around in the shop when needed.

http://webpages.charter.net/sidmatheny/LatheStand2.jpg

I am using the same stand with my Nova DVR XP now.

Sid

Mark P. Brown
12-30-2009, 9:21 PM
I have a Delta midi lathe. I set it on a bench then drilled 2 holes in the top of the bench for the mounting points. I turned 2 1 inch pieces of dowel rod so they drop in the holes. This holds the lathe when I have an out of round piece but they are easy to pull if I need to move the lathe.
Mark

Brett Elliott
01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Construction is complete. I ended up putting in 3 full-width drawers with full extension slides. You guys were right: no need for the sand. It's pretty stable without it. It probably helps that the bench is pretty darn heavy. Thanks for the advice!

Terry Murphy
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Great Idea sid!
Came out good Brett, you did a great job. Congrats on the lathe.

Terry

Alan Tolchinsky
01-03-2010, 1:06 PM
Looks really good Brett. I like the storage and the heavy tip. I'm thinking of doing the same. Is there any down side of having the grinder near the lathe? Does the grinder get in the way of operating the lathe or visa versa?

Brett Elliott
01-03-2010, 1:43 PM
Looks really good Brett. I like the storage and the heavy tip. I'm thinking of doing the same. Is there any down side of having the grinder near the lathe? Does the grinder get in the way of operating the lathe or visa versa?

The grinder being right there is a bit in the way, but I have mine mounted to a piece of plywood, so I just move it to the bench behind me when I'm using the lathe.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-03-2010, 4:28 PM
Thanks Brett, I'll consider that when I design mine.

Michael Mills
01-03-2010, 5:18 PM
If you use 400 lbs. of ballast this will probably not work. With 200 lbs. (100 at each end) you should be able to lift each end separately. This is the casters I made for my table saw. Add a bracket at the correct height for the legs with casters and hinge the casters.
Just lift one end and use the cord to pull the casters into position.
To lower, lift again and the casters will drop free then and a bump with your foot allows your bench to sit on its stationary legs.
Mike

Brett Elliott
01-03-2010, 5:24 PM
If you use 400 lbs. of ballast this will probably not work. With 200 lbs. (100 at each end) you should be able to lift each end separately. This is the casters I made for my table saw. Add a bracket at the correct height for the legs with casters and hinge the casters.
Just lift one end and use the cord to pull the casters into position.
To lower, lift again and the casters will drop free then and a bump with your foot allows your bench to sit on its stationary legs.
Mike

I thought about something like this. Norm built something similar on NYW once, but I think your mechanism is even simpler. I like it! I'm gonna file that away in the mental bank.

Brett