PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry Burl - NE tulip goblet - thanks Steve Schlumpf!!

John Keeton
12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Some of you will recall that "the gang" that lured me into the vortex also sent me several very nice pieces of wood and bowl blanks - thinking of course, that this would entice me even further into the abyss!!:D

One of those was a piece of Black Cherry burl that was among the several pieces sent to me by Steve Schlumpf. This burl came from an old Black Cherry that was located in a thick forest approximately 2 miles from the south shore of Lake Superior and just ouside of a little town called Au Train, in the upper peninsula. The old fellow who owned the property heated with wood, using mostly maple and cherry. This piece came from his wood pile.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135587&thumb=1&d=1261177123 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=135587&d=1261177123)

After doing a couple of little projects, I thought I would see what I could do with this piece of burl - at the very least, not destroy it. It was odd shaped, and not very large - perhaps 4 - 4.5" along the face shown in the above pic, and that was the largest face.

I have admired the many NE pieces done by some of you, and thought that might be neat - and, it would certainly challenge me!!

Well, here is the result. It is 6.25" tall, including the walnut stem.
The walls are 1/8", not paper thin like you all like them, but my skill level just isn't there yet. This was my third bowl type turning, and my first piece of figured wood, so I didn't want to push the envelope too much.

The finish is BLO and shellac to this point - again, not sure what else to do. I may spray it with laquer, though I don't care for the high gloss. Guess I could rub it out a bit.

Give me your thoughts - and be honest. I can't improve if all I get are atta-boys!!:D;)

And, thanks again, Steve, for the wonderful pieces of wood!!

David Christopher
12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
John, that is beautiful. the only thing I would do is make the stem a little smaller( skinnier), but it is stil a work of art.....well done

Steve Mawson
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
First thing I thought when I saw this was I really like the bowl but I thought the stem could be a little thinner. Then I read David's post so I guess I agree with him. The bowl has what I would call "fine features" so IMO the stem needs to agree with what it is supporting. Along those lines if it does not fit in your house let me know and I will send a shipping label to NE. Still a very nice piece, you did that burl proud.

Roger Bullock
12-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I agree with the other post and I might add that a house stand on its foundation and if the foundation is too small all will fall. It appears to me that the footprint is a little small compared to the top. Sure would hate to see such a nice work of art knocked over and broken.

John Keeton
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks, guys. Now that is the kind of feedback that helps me improve! I looked at the pics again, and the angle may have made the stem look heavier than it actually is. I took another, more straight on shot.
In this pic, it appears close to what it actually is - and, probably still a little too thick.

And, I also agree on the size of the base. I actually wanted it larger, but I didn't have any bigger stock without going to the barn and getting a large piece to mill down. Haste makes waste!! Probably should have waited and done it right!:o

David Christopher
12-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Probably should have waited and done it right!:o[/QUOTE]

John, you didnt do it wrong. I think it is a great job and everyone eye sees things different.

it looks like you have the knack at this spinny thing and Ill bet you will be making alot more of these. so we will be ready for number 4 soon

David E Keller
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow.

I should quit turning now as I obviously don't have the genetic talents that some on this site seem to have(I'm talking about you John).

That's a pretty piece of wood and you've done a very nice job with it. I agree with the suggestions about the base being larger in diameter and the stem being slightly thinner. I might also prefer a simpler stem design so as not to detract from the beauty of the burl, but that's purely personal opinion. The color of the walnut and the area near the natural edge are almost the same color which I think looks very nice.

Can someone drive by John's house and see if there is an enormous pile of shavings and curls coming out of his shop? I can't imagine having turned something that looks this good without a ton of practice.

Richard Madison
12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
John,
Consider the same stem design (in your mind) a bit thinner and/but also a bit shorter, w/ maybe slightly larger dia. foot. The cup is gorgeous, and nothing would be accomplished by making it thinner than 1/8". Need to de-emphasize the stem in order to focus on the cup. Just opinions, not to be taken too seriously.

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2009, 11:49 PM
John - that is simply amazing! To think this is only your third bowl form - wow! Very impressive work!

Beautiful wood! I like the cup portion of the goblet as is and wouldn't change a thing. The stem would benefit by being thinner but also if the detail work was moved up to the 2/3s position on the stem, it would help everything balance. The foot could be slightly bigger but if the stem was thinner to begin with - it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Very impressed with your work John! Glad you were able to use the Cherry burl!

Looking forward to seeing your next project!

gary Zimmel
12-29-2009, 12:01 AM
My hat is off to you John.
Putting ones mind into doing something is one thing.
Execution is another.

You sir have the tenacity and the ability!
I can't wait to see what is next.;)

alex carey
12-29-2009, 4:43 AM
Beautiful, my only critique would be to have the stand a bit skinnier.

Jeff Nicol
12-29-2009, 5:09 AM
John, Everyone has said it all so all I will say is that for a biginner at turning, your future is very bright! The little details of what looks good, better, best and "Darn near perfect" will come with time and many changes and adjustments. You are a natural and have nowhere to go but up!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Sid Matheny
12-29-2009, 7:03 AM
Every eye is different and my eye says it looks just great the way it is!

Sid

ROY DICK
12-29-2009, 7:28 AM
John,
That does it. I am going to go to CL and post my turning stuff for sale.
It is really something that you have come so far in so little time.
I agree that you are a natural for this woodturning, and look forward to seeing more of your work.
Not only the turnings, but also the flat work you do so well.

Roy

Curt Fuller
12-29-2009, 8:43 AM
Ya done good Pilgrim!

Tony De Masi
12-29-2009, 8:52 AM
Most impressive work John. I will agree with those who say the stem could be a bit thinner as compared to the bowl portion. Also, IMO, I think too much embellishment on the stem takes away from the beautful burl of the bowl. But again, that's just me.

I really admire the way you have handled being sucked into this vortex. The way you are approaching your work is very artistic and beautiful as well.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2009, 9:12 AM
John,

You, my friend, have a natural talent.

The bowl portion of that goblet is perfect, IMHO, in every way.

The stem, however, I would have done a little differently. As previsously suggested maybe a little thinner flute with fewer embellishments. In this case, I would have had the cup where the stem meets the bowl a little wider and thinner.... a slimmer, simpler stem and a slightly wider thinner flair at the bottom.

The simpler stem will allow the natural beauty of the burl to be the star of the show rather than compete for that position.

You have reached the point where a lot of this is becoming strictly a matter of personal taste. Don't take these types of comments too seriously, as they are just a matter of taste.

Excellent.....very nice NE goblet John! You are progressing extemely rapidly!

Nicely done Sir!

Mike Minto
12-29-2009, 9:17 AM
Wow, John, really cool! haven't seen many NE burl forms - great job!

John Keeton
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the constructive comments - that is what I really need. So, here is the question. The burl "bowl" is affixed with CA medium glue. What are the odds on heating it with a hair dryer and removing it from the stem without damage?

I think I would like to make another stem, using the input from you fine folks. But, I don't want to make a mess of the burl. My wife says leave as is, as a reminder of my beginnings. But, I am not made that way. However, if I have a risk of destroying the burl, I won't try it.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences on this. Thanks, again!!

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
John, its a beautiful piece, especially for as early in your turning career. Several have commented on base size and stem thickness being the weakness on the piece and I agree, but also think that it might benefit from being a little shorter. I'm borrowing a page out of Steve's playbook and modified your picture to show my point.

Tell me, did you change your avatar to emphasize your change in attitude toward turning?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2009, 10:13 AM
John,

If the wife says "Leave it"...I'd leave it!

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
John, I know the feeling, I just changed the base on one I turned because I dropped it and it broke. I would not change that one unless I had to. Save it, you only have one first of anything, and comparing it to your work a year from now will show you how far you've come.

BTW, as to shiny - I'm told it sells. I know the LOML and others I've shown pieces to really like the shiny ones.

Chris Stolicky
12-29-2009, 10:35 AM
and how long have you been turning??? :eek:

good job.

Tony De Masi
12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
John, I would have to agree with your wife. Leave it as is and move onward and upward.

Tony

Toney Robertson
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
John,

That is nice, very nice.

Others have given you good advice on the pedestal. My only suggestion is that when I have to turn a finial or pedestal for a special piece of wood I get some cheaper wood and turn 2 or 3 or 4 different ones and try and pick the one that complements the main body the best. It takes some extra time but I think it has paid dividends for me. I have even taken pictures of a practice pedestal before gluing, posted it and asked for opinions.

Good Job.

Toney

Brian Effinger
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow John, that is beautiful. Even though I agree with everyone about the thinner, more plain stem, I also agree with you wife - don't change it now. First of all, this is all subjective. What one person likes, another may not. And secondly, use this piece to measure your progress as a turner.

My only advice would be to practice making some thinner stems. Make several. Then take another piece of the burl and make another goblet with a thin stem.

And guys, is it just me or is this newbie showing us all up with his turning skills. :eek: The words "ringer" and "hustler" keep coming to mind. :p:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
And guys, is it just me or is this newbie showing us all up with his turning skills. :eek: The words "ringer" and "hustler" keep coming to mind. :p:D

Brian,

I was being nice and not mentioning it but now that you have brought it up.......If John invites you to his house to play pool, I'd leave your wallet at home!

Brian Effinger
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Brian,

I was being nice and not mentioning it but now that you have brought it up.......If John invites you to his house to play pool, I'd leave your wallet at home!

No kidding!!! :D

John Keeton
12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm borrowing a page out of Steve's playbook and modified your picture to show my point.

Tell me, did you change your avatar to emphasize your change in attitude toward turning?Thom, thanks!! A lot! That was a neat way of illustrating the suggestions regarding placement of the beading, and a shorter stem.

The previous avatar was a side view - just figured it was time everyone see another side of me!;) Ain't none of 'em good, but its all I have to work with!

The votes are in - I will leave this one as is, though it pains me to have it sitting there knowing what needs to be fixed. But, chalk it up to a learning experience and look for another burl!!

I think Toney has a good idea - make 2 or 3 stems, and see how they look before I yank out the CA!

Thanks to all who looked, commented, and encouraged!

On to the next turning!! I know that I have a couple of flatwork projects that I need to start planning......but,......

You guys have sucked me into a quagmire!!:eek::D

Terry Murphy
12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Rock Star!

Mike Peace
12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow, John. You are progressing at warp speed! Keep it up.

Ryan Baker
12-29-2009, 7:15 PM
John is a ringer for sure...

I agree with the others. The bowl part is fantastic. The stem could be thinner, shorter, not overly detailed, slightly wider base. The other thing is that it is often good to not put the decoration in the middle of the stem, but above center. That also adds to the 'height' and draws attention up to the burl on top. Check out stemware for inspiration.

Very well done indeed.

Kenneth Whiting
12-29-2009, 8:09 PM
Great job, John. Good decision to leave it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2009, 9:08 PM
John you simply amaze me. A very nice piece indeed. I would leave it and move on to the next one taking the advice you got and using on a new piece. I would go thinner on the stand portion and as Steve said move the embellishment up.

gary butcher
12-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Excellent job, you're a natural.

Mike Zipparo
12-30-2009, 1:12 AM
I am impressed by the job done on the bowl form, and agree with the comments on the base and pedestal. Nice to see the suggestions on alternatives, especially on form and proportions. Reminds me of the "rule of thirds" in photography, never have you principal subject in the middle of the photo.

I also like the finish. What did you use, John?

John Keeton
12-30-2009, 7:28 AM
Thanks for all the follow up comments. I am on the search for another piece of burl, so that I can incorporate all of the excellent ideas put forth. As indicated, I will leave this one as a reminder of my early attempts.

Mike, the finish is just BLO and blond shellac - a couple of coats while on the lathe. I burnished it with shavings afterward. From what others are saying, it would probably show better with a glossy finish. I may add a few coats of wipe on poly, and then buff the sheen back a bit.

Matt Ranum
12-30-2009, 8:08 AM
Thats beautiful John!

I think I'm getting a case of envy:p You turning out awesome pieces like this, just think of what you could do with a nice mustard colored lathe.:p

Ron Carlton
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
How do you drink out of the goblet? Looks like it would run all over.