PDA

View Full Version : TV Cabinet

Mark Ottenheimer
12-28-2009, 10:04 PM
I wanted to post a picture of my first true furniture project. It is made from maple plywood prefinished on one side and solid soft maple. I had some help along the way and it was finished by a professional refinisher I have become friends with in my town. I had problems getting it dark enough for my girlfriend so the finisher used tinted water based lacquer and general finishes gel stain to get it to an almost black color. I am very pleased with the results and so is my girlfriend. If anyone needs some finishing help in the NJ,NY area I can provide his information. Thanks,
Mark

John Thompson
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Getting maple or maple ply dark is quite a chore Mark and another wood would have probably been a better choice in this case. But.. your friend did an excellent job with the tinted lacquer-stain combo of getting it to what she was looking for. May I ask how the doors are finished as I'm still guessing on that one.

Mark Ottenheimer
12-29-2009, 2:27 PM
The doors are frosted glass. I had a local glass shop cut and install some 1/4" frosted safety glass.

John Thompson
12-29-2009, 6:09 PM
Thanks Mark.. that was one of my suspicions as I looked at some not long ago to possibly go into the door faces of two towers on the side of a Stickley secretary.

Glad to hear your girlfriend approved.. watch out.... now you have opened Pandora's Box! ;)

Bruce Page
12-29-2009, 7:13 PM
Very nice Mark. I like the classy look that the finish gave the piece.

gary Zimmel
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice work on the TV cabinet Mark.

Great news that your girlfriend approves.
Next project should include some new tools.;)