PDA

View Full Version : Santa delivered a Jet 1642

David Gilbert
12-28-2009, 9:51 PM
The love of my life arranged for delivery of a JET 1642 with the 2 HP variable speed. She indicated that she expects to see some bowls so I need to get busy. She also indicated that I shouldn't waste any time making her any pens. I guess I have my marching orders. I also will be using the JET to make an assortment of other tools, jigs and fixtures.

I'm planning on doing a variation on Philip Morris' articulated arm light (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111808). The only part of the lathe that I don't like is the guard that rotates down and snaps into place. Philip used this to mount his light. I'm also really impressed with some of Dick Mahany's additions to the lathe (http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots). I decided to start a new thread rather than hijack theirs.

My set of questions revolve around what accessories and tools I should be planning to buy first. Right now I have only the faceplate, drive center and revolving center that came with the lathe. I have some cheap HSS Craftman tools to get started with.

I am expecting to purchase a chuck. If I want to turn different size pieces do I need all the different sized jaws? Some of these chucks get pretty pricey and I'm assuming that they are worth it. There are others that are half the price, is there a trade-off?

I want to get a drill chuck for drilling holes in tool handles, etc. Is there anything to avoid.

I looked at the Beall Tool site and wonder how useful their spindle taps might be? They also have a collet chuck system that looks very interesting. Are there other collet chucks that I should consider?

At this point my turning experience is pretty limited. So far I have an impressive set of books and DVDs and I've been playing with spindle turning and making chips and destroying some wood. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
David

Bob Hampton
12-28-2009, 10:15 PM
just take her with u to the nearest woodcraft or whatever u have in your area...open the door and say ....ok honey u want bowls? well open the checkbook cause were just getting started..just the lathe aint going to do it woman!...hehehe sorry just couldn't resist that.

others should chime in shortly and give u some very good info on tools and chucks and other stuff for your bowl turning punishment ...lol

Alan Trout
12-28-2009, 10:29 PM
First congratulations on the new lathe.:) You don't have to have a chuck but it is nice. Any of the major brands will work. The standard jaws are a nice place to start and add others as you see the need. I still use my drill chuck that I got from harbor freight. I think I paid seven dollars for it and it is pretty true.

I am a big believer in buying tools as you need them. I have wasted lots of money buying things I really did not need or use.

A double ended caliper is nice to have and at large drive center. I prefer the chuck mounted ones that Best Wood Tools sells for starting bowls between centers.

Other than that just have a good time and join a local turning club and you should be good to go.

Alan

Jim Kountz
12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, you're gonna love it!! A good chuck and some basic tools would be first on my list. If bowls are in your future a bowl gouge is a must have item, take a look at Thompson tools, you can also make your own handle and save some cash. Good luck with your search and make sure you let us see what you make with it!!

David E Keller
12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Congrats.

I agree that you don't NEED a chuck, but you also don't NEED a variable speed lathe. Get a chuck... you'll use it all the time. I have a oneway talon, and it has served me well. There are certainly others that would fit the bill. Mine came with a pretty good set of jaws, and I've added a set or two since I bought it. Make sure that you get a spindle adaptor so that you can mount it on your lathe... Not sure what the spindle size is on that lathe.

I'd get a nice bowl gouge as well. I've got a sorby that I really like but I'll probably get one of Doug Thompson's next time around. His prices are fantastic and the quality has never been questioned. Turning handles is fun and allow for some personalization of your equipment. If your wife wants bowls, you need to get a nice bowl gouge(or several if she's open to the idea).

I just ordered a spindle tap for making some homemade jigs and fixtures, but you can do a lot without one. Collet chucks are for holding very small items... I've not used them yet, and you definitely don't need one to turn bowls.

Get a chuck, a nice bowl gouge, and some free green wood, and then enjoy yourself.

Richard Madison
12-29-2009, 12:09 AM
David G.,

Slow down. Turn some wood between centers and on the faceplate while learning/deciding what you really NEED. You will soon want a chuck (1-1/4-8 thread) and a Jacobs chuck w/ MT2 to fit the tailstock. Owners of expensive chucks like them, and owners of relatively inexpensive chucks consider them adequate and good value for the money. One of the latter group is the $99 Grizzly chuck.

Might be good to temporarily forget the additional fancy stuff and work on bowl turning skills. A word to the wise - - -

Jim Slovik
12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
David,
Congratulations on the new lathe. I copied Philip's light for my 3520 and I love it. I think you'd find it very handy and useful. As we speak I am adapting Dick's tailstock swinger plans to my lathe. I look forward to completing it very soon.
As far as drill chucks go, I bought a couple from HF for $6.99 and they work great.
The Beall taps are nice to have on hand. I like to have a couple of tapped blocks on the shelf for when I need a quick jam chuck.
I use Supernova2 chucks. They have worked well for me and WoodCraft often has them on sale. I really can't compare them to other chucks because they are the only ones I've ever used.
Some of my most useful purchases were DVD's. I thought I needed more tools when in fact I needed more knowledge. If you want to make bowls, I suggest Bill Grumbines DVD's.
Jim

Jamie Straw
12-29-2009, 1:34 AM
David, congratulations! What a woman, eh?!

If you're looking for a scroll chuck, I'll pass along the special I purchased from Hartville Tools -- A Oneway Talon Chuck (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11552)that comes with 4 turning DVDs: 2 from Raffan (the new Turning Wood, and Turning Bowls); Hollow Turning (Springett) and Elliptical Turning (Jordan). I don't know about the last two, but Raffan's videos are quite well done. Price for the package is $204, a whopping $4 more than Amazon is charging. :) Oh, and $25 for your adapter.

Kirk Miller
12-29-2009, 5:18 AM
Congrats
Does she have a sister?

Jeff Nicol
12-29-2009, 5:44 AM
David, You are on your way down a long and slippery slope that is the Vortex of woodturning! It starts with what you have now and you could end up like me, 3 lathes, 4 chucks, 100 tools and the list goes on! It all comes in handy one time or another and you will find that some of the things you buy will be your go to tools and others will be used on certain times when nothing else will do. If you are like me, you will begin to make tools on your own and put them to work and be very happy with them.

So get a chuck and a good set of tools and a bowl gouge for sure, then comes a hollowing tool and a coring set and on and on. Good luck as the spending has just begun!

Jeff

ROY DICK
12-29-2009, 7:49 AM
David,
Congrats on your lathe, what a wife.
A good sharpening system, scroll chuck and insert, bowl gouge, and a face sheild.
Practice, practice, practice.
Take your time and be careful.
The other tools you may want can wait, but it won't be long.:D
Post pictures if you can, and ask questions.

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2009, 8:49 AM
David - congrats on your new lathe! Lots of good advice so far! Looking forward to seeing your turnings!

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Get a good video, Bill Grumbine's comes to mind as do the Jimmy Clewes videos.
Use their guidance on gouges until you are ready to branch out and try other styles and techniques. Buy good gouges, Doug Thompson's are highly recommended, but there are many good brands.

Get a chuck, and I'd start out with the grizzly - you'll want more later so you can buy more expensive as the need (want) arises. I start between centers and turn a tenon or a mortice for dovetail jaws and shape the outside Then reverse into the chuck jaws to turn the inside.

As to the Beall tap, it might save you money on faceplates, Drill and tap some flat scrap and turn it to use as jamb chucks for revisiting the bottom of the bowl to remove the tenon. With the tap you can have a variety available without tying up a number of face plates. Alternately, if you have a chuck, just turn a tenon on your jamb chucks and don't bother with the Beall unless you want to make a vacuum chucking system.

Chris Stolicky
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
There has been a lot of good advice above.

I think that eagerness to learn proper techniques, safely, its really the most important. I have that machine, and after stepping up from a Jet Mini, you really gain a lot of respect. Join your local club, ask questions, watch, and learn.

As far as tooling, I agree that buying as you need things makes the most sense. Yes, it does feel like you need a lot from the beginning, and I guess there is a little truth to that. Here are some suggestions:

- Face shield/glasses.

- Proper dust collection/protection.

- I have the Talon chuck and really like it. I think its plenty sufficient for that lathe, and its relatively small size and weight is a bonus. Hartville is a great place to buy it. Chucks are really nice to have when you are turning bowls.

- Starting with the chisels you have is a great place to start. This is really where is pays off to learn with what you have, what you need, and then buy decent quality along the way. I do like the Thompsons, but learn how to sharpen first!

- Speaking of sharpening, you need to learn how to sharpen you tools or this hobby quickly becomes frustrating and dangerous. A slow speed grinder with decent wheels and the wolverine sharpening jigs are the most rated and (IMO) the best overall deal. I think the WC grinder is the best balance in quality and price.

- A jacobs chuck for drilling is handy.

- That's all you really 'need' to get a good start, but you always find more that 'need'!

- I would wait on the collet chuck. Its really for small stuff.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2009, 9:19 PM
Congrats on the lathe. Can't add much to the advice you have gotten.

David Gilbert
12-31-2009, 2:26 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I've been playing on the lathe and finished my first project, a Czeck marking knife made out of some scrap mahogany. It's not perfect but it will be a worthwhile indicator of my starting skill. I told my wife that the knife was valued at $2000 (that's what she spent on the lathe). Of course it will be rapidly depreciated as I finish other projects.

My first accessory was a Jacobs chuck from Harbor Freight that I used to drill the hole for the knife.

I will keep you posted about my progress.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
David

John Keeton
12-31-2009, 3:18 PM
I told my wife that the knife was valued at $2000 (that's what she spent on the lathe). Of course it will be rapidly depreciated as I finish other projects.David, the amortization of the original investment over future projects is a neat idea - but it will not work!! Since these suckers have dragged me into this abyss, I have spent money on accessories WAY quicker than I can produce turned projects!! That marking knife will be worth a lot closer to $3,000 after you "finish other projects.":eek:;)

Take the experience you have had with handtools, and triple it!!!:D