PDA

View Full Version : woodworking & PWW merging

Matt Stiegler
12-28-2009, 8:43 PM
The two magazines are merging into one, see link (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Coming+In+April+The+New+Popular+Woodworking+Magazi ne.aspx).

mike holden
12-29-2009, 8:39 AM
Matt,
I saw that and *MY* concern is not the merging of the print media, but their moving towards more online media.
I may sound like a Luddite here, but I much prefer a paper magazine that I can read wherever and whenever I like. I also prefer still photos to videos, although I do agree that some dynamic things are better on video (turning techniques)
But the world moves on and change is the only constant.

grumble, grumble, grumble,
Mike

Jason White
12-29-2009, 8:47 AM
Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm surprised that August Home hasn't merged Woodsmith and Shopnotes. I'd much rather pay for one subscription than two separate ones, anyway.

As for the ads? I don't mind them. It's a business, after all, and I'm actually interested in some of the stuff they're advertising (unlike most things on TV and other print publications).

Jason

The two magazines are merging into one, see link (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Coming+In+April+The+New+Popular+Woodworking+Magazi ne.aspx).

Megan Fitzpatrick
12-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Mike (et al),
We're still 100% committed to the print publication. The goal is to provide even better print content, but to augment that with additional online content. The magazine is still the driving force behind everything we do (I'm a Luddite, too) :)
Megan

lowell holmes
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Megan,

Can you explain the difference between and editor, managing editor, and senior editor?

I know who fills these slots on your magazine, I am just curious.

I enjoy both magazines, keep up the good work!

Megan Fitzpatrick
12-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Lowell,
The difference is the pay scale.;)

Seriously: In short (and in theory), the editor is the one who primarily shapes the content of the magazine; the senior editors build projects and write articles based on the planned content; the managing editor is the primary liaison with freelancers, is the copy editor and is responsible for making sure things stay on schedule and people get paid.

But we all have a say in content, and we all build, write and edit. It's truly a group effort.
megan

Jacob Griffith
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks! Best of luck on the new format.