PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Smoother Part 1 (long-ish)

Louis Bois
10-12-2004, 9:07 AM
Well...I made a statement a while back to the effect that I would post my experience in building a Shepherd Smoother. Guess I better stay true to my word or this will turn into a "fisherman's" post (tall tales, etc...).

I obtained a kit for a Spiers smoother early last summer and was debating about the best approach to building this thing. I must confess that I have literally no metalworking experience...similar to most woodworkers I would imagine.

I e-mailed the fellas at Shepherd tool to inquire about a few details about building the kit and they suggested that I trundle on down to Cambridge and build the plane there. Too good to pass this one up so we arranged a mutually convenient weekend day and the plan was set. I was thrilled to be able to build my kit with a coupla guys that could answer all my questions "on the fly".

It was a dark and stormy night...er...it was actually a lovely summer morning but drama is one of my fortes. I arrived in Cambridge at about 9 a.m. to start the build. Ben was unburdening his car of a plethora of plane parts and carting stuff into the shop.

After the usual introductions and niceties, Ben ran me through the procedure that I would be following as well as giving me an idea of where I should be, progress-wise, at the end of the day. So off I went.

I began by filing the double-angled dovetails...fairly easy to do once you get the basic feel for filing metal...and had the sides and sole plate ready to peen in about 35 minutes. I didn't have to make a buck block since Ben had one on-hand for me to use.

Now, this is where the fun begins. Did I mention that I've never really worked with metal before?!? Hmmm... Once I got the assembled pieces onto the anvil, Ben gave me a few quick pointer about peining, espousing the virtues of trying not to stray too much from the areas to be peined...since it would take an awful lot of sanding to get rid of dents in the side (or sole) of the body. I took a deep breath and hit my first pin. Success! I hit it. At this point, Ben gave me a larger hammer and told me to, and I quote: "pound the snot out of it"....so I did.

I think that peined shell of mine is still in the Shepherd Museum of Peining Nightmares!!! Needless to say, I must have been somewhat wound up or had too much pent up energy because I ended up bashing the pins below the surface of the sides...sorry don't have a photo of it...but I'm sure that Ben or Doug could snap a quickie and post it here!

Back to the drawing board...and a gentler hand...and smaller hammer. Ben gave me another set of plates (I offered to pay but he refused) and I began the process anew....file dovetails...assemble parts on buck block...back to the anvil. I cannot stress enough that a little at a time is the best policy when working with metal. This applies to filing, bashing, sanding, etc. I was much more successful this time. Whew.

Once the sides and sole were locked together, I took the shell over to the belt sander where Ben showed me how to remove material from the protruding pins. This works extremely quickly and caution is recommended. Check the shell often and only remove the material that stands proud of the shell. Stop once the shell is reached. (cont'd)

Louis Bois
10-12-2004, 9:22 AM
...the next step involved peining the throat plate onto the sole plate. This step is a little out of sequence as I would do it before peining the shell...I think the sequence has been altered in the current instructions. It was a little awkward to pein the inside part of the throat plate as the shell side plates were a bit of a hindrance. But with proper care, it was doable.

Once the throat plate was peined in position, the protruding pins were filed flush with the rest of the plate.

The next step involved trimming the infill wood to fit the shell. A little trimming on the bandsaw proved to be all that was required. The wood was then epoxied into the shell and clamped in position. Guinness time.

Once the infills were glued in position, it was back to the belt sander to true up the bottom and sides.

I'll post the rest of the story once I locate the second set of Photos that were taken on the second day...which involved filing the throat, fitting the blade and cap, as well as finesse work.

p.s. sorry the pics are so large.

Dave Anderson NH
10-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Somehow this all looks familiar to me.:D :D I remember the trepidation with which I approached building my own #7 smoother during the Neander Meander in October of last year. It was a great experience and having an infill smoother is really nice.

Ben Knebel
10-12-2004, 1:27 PM
Thank you for your kind comments Louis--it's always nice to see a customer happy with the results from one of our kits.

Have you started on the other 2 yet.

Regards
Ben

Louis Bois
10-12-2004, 2:14 PM
I'm still debating which one to build first! I've gone so far as to build the buck block for the panel plane...and then household obligations pulled me away. The softness of the brass is still a little daunting, considering my peining fervor! I'm thinking of making a little steel plate guide that would protect the area around the location to be peined. Could save me some sanding in the end...just in case.

Aside from that, it's just a matter of time. I'm still working on a web site as well, where I will be detailing the build process of this big daddy! I'm so happy with the result of my first kit that I want everyone to see how easy they can be to build if one is willing to take the time and effort to do it properly.

I think Dave said it best in his post, "I cannot overemphasize that a slow and steady approach leavened with a heavy dose of patience is the way to proceed...this is not a race, but rather an experience to be savoured". Well put Dave.

I'll keep you posted...in the meantime, where is that second batch of photos?!?

Steve Evans
10-12-2004, 3:37 PM
Louis

Thanks for taking the time to post your process. I purchased one of their shoulder planes back in August, and still haven't found the time to put it together. It sits on my bench and laughs at me every time I think I have a few spare hours. Next weekend I promise :eek:

Louis Bois
10-12-2004, 3:50 PM
Steve,

Getting the kit to your bench is half the battle! Now scatter the parts around a bit and put a buck block together...or at least file a few dovetails. Get one side done every time you have a spare moment...and before you know it, you'll be ready to pein "peen" in America.

It truly is a worthwhile endeavour...and you'll be amazed at your rate of progress once you actually take the plunge. Your motivation increases after every successful turn. If you run into an obstacle, drop the Shepherd guys a line...or if there's any way that I can help you, let me know. I'd be glad to give you a hand.

Good luck!!!

Bob Smalser
10-12-2004, 6:41 PM
Very, very nice.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 8:20 PM
That is very cool, Louis...man, I gotta get my darn shop/garage done...sigh....

Louis Bois
12-11-2004, 7:57 PM
Just bringing this back to the forefront to refresh everyone's memories...

Ben Knebel
12-12-2004, 1:58 PM
Just bringing this back to the forefront to refresh everyone's memories...

Where's the Scotch in these pictures--oh--forgot--only when it's finished ;)

Regards
Ben
www.shepherdtool.com

Keith Christopher
12-12-2004, 8:09 PM
Louis,

Awesome job! I'm waiting for them to put out some convex side ones so I can try them out.

Keith