PDA

View Full Version : Melamine Planer Sled + Gluing

jason mowery
12-28-2009, 5:46 PM
Good Evening-

I've had great success using a piece of Melamine shelving (from Lowes) with a simple hardwood cleat secured with countersunk screws at one end for a planer sled to surface rough cut boards wider than my jointer. This is a very simple solution, and works just fine for me. While I've seen pretty complex planer sleds, mine works great using shimstock and blue painter's tape to compensate for irregularities in flatness. One area that could be improved though is the rigidity of the Melamine. A 6' long piece is a little floppy at the extreme infeed and outfeed ends when in the planer, and I was wondering if Melamine could effectively be glued to another sheet of melamine. Also, would this add any rigidity, or would I just end up with a heavier, but no more rigid, planer sled? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

David Perata
12-28-2009, 6:41 PM
Roo Glue makes a glue for gluing Melamine and it works great. I ran into a similar situation for gluing wood to aluminum and I was advised to use Roo Glue. Well it works great. And I have heard it bonds Melamine to Melamine very well.

Doug Hobkirk
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I have not done this, but it seems to me that adding a hardwood edge (like those added to the front edge of shelves) on both sides might be a more practical solution.