PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 8:16 AM
Had a portable band saw (Woodmiser) mill come in yesterday & we sliced up 2,080 bf of red oak & butternut. Stickered it right off the mill on a hill in the field to air dry for a year, then I'll sort it & stack the best in the pole barn. 18" to 28" logs made for some beautiful clear boards. Going to do it again on the 24th & 25th. Should end up with about 4,000 bf of red oak, 1,500 bf of quarter-sawn white oak and 500 bf of butternut and 1,000 bf of maple. And yes boiler & sawmill pics to follow.

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 8:50 AM
Aside from the fact it's real work, I enjoyed it when I had some stuff milled a few years ago...and am still enjoying it. That's quite a haul you have there, Mark. Now, all those folks up your way are going to be wanting to visit to stop and smell the lumber! (I hope you got a few really nice wide boards out of those logs, too, for special projects)

Dick Parr
10-12-2004, 9:09 AM
Mark, don't forget to use end sealer on the ends of the boards to prevent cracking as they dry. The first milled wood we did, we never got around to it and it cracked to the point we lost at least a foot off each board, and it was some nice wide red oak. :eek:

Dan Gill
10-12-2004, 9:14 AM
Should end up with about 4,000 bf of red oak, 1,500 bf of quarter-sawn white oak and 500 bf of butternut and 1,000 bf of maple. And yes boiler & sawmill pics to follow.

:eek: Stop! Stop! You're giving me a massive case of envy!

Jon Olson
10-12-2004, 9:29 AM
Mark,

I have a friend in Pound, WI who is interested in having a mill come out to cut some wood, what are the normal charges for about 1500 bft??

Jon

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2004, 9:36 AM
:p This gloat borders on the verge of being bragging! :p Lucky stiff! Oh...by the way....did I mention that "I'm GREEN with envy?"

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 9:47 AM
Mark, don't forget to use end sealer on the ends of the boards to prevent cracking as they dry. The first milled wood we did, we never got around to it and it cracked to the point we lost at least a foot off each board, and it was some nice wide red oak. :eek:
I'll let them dry till I see them begin to check & seal them. Can't remember the name of the sealer I have off hand. Good point though.

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 9:51 AM
Mark,

I have a friend in Pound, WI who is interested in having a mill come out to cut some wood, what are the normal charges for about 1500 bft??

Jon
I'm also logging off a bunch of mature poplar, so out of that money I paid the logger $300 a thousand bf to cut the oaks, haul them out & have them sawn into boards. I supply the labor to pull out the slabs & catch & stack the lumber. Not a bad deal I didn't think.

Tyler Howell
10-12-2004, 9:56 AM
Let Me See!
New Camera,
New Shop,
New Boiler
Major New Toyls
New Lumber Pile,

Am I missing something here???
Mark cough it up we demand Pix. This is cruel and in humane treatment.:o
This is your final notice!:mad:
Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday.:p

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Let Me See!
New Camera,
New Shop,
New Boiler
Major New Toyls
New Lumber Pile,

Am I missing something here???
Mark cough it up we demand Pix. This is cruel and in humane treatment.:o
This is your final notice!:mad:
Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday.:p

I know I know, with all these projects I just haven't had time to down load them yet. I did get some taken though yesterday. I'll try to get them on my web shots site tonight.

Likewise my friend.

Steve Clardy
10-12-2004, 1:13 PM
Make me want my Woodmizer back, or at least another one. I had a LT-30 for ten years, sawed all my own lumber, still have a lot of it. Did some custom sawing on weekends to pay for it.
I sold it due to the fact of no time to run it anymore. I wanted to work it into my cabinet business, but decided I couldn't do it all.
A tip on end sealing your lumber. Seal the logs before milling. Saves boocoo time sealing boards.
I notice Tyler has given his last notice. :eek::eek:

Steve:)

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 1:21 PM
Mr. Smalser keeps talking about using roofing tar to seal board ends. I was in the hardware store last weekend (what's new) and I thought of him as I saw large 5 gallon buckets of this stuff.

Steve Clardy
10-12-2004, 1:29 PM
Mr. Smalser keeps talking about using roofing tar to seal board ends. I was in the hardware store last weekend (what's new) and I thought of him as I saw large 5 gallon buckets of this stuff.
I used tar once on some log ends. Worked ok. I diluted it with mineral spirits so I could brush it on. It is pretty thick in the bucket.
I did piece work for a furniture co. for a couple of years. They did distressed old time furniture. Their stain mixture was tar and mineral spirits, diluted a lot and strained so they could spray it on. Actually worked real good for them.

Steve

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 2:35 PM
A tip on end sealing your lumber. Seal the logs before milling. Saves boocoo time sealing boards.

Good Idea. I think the stuff I have is called "Anchor Seal" or something like that.

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 2:38 PM
Mark,

Yep, Anchorseal is the stuff...Bob is frugal and so suggests tar as an alternative.

thomas prevost
10-12-2004, 3:09 PM
$300/t bdft. for logging, hauling, and cutting is a fantastic price!!:) especially if he is also quartersawing some. $0.30 vs $2.75-3.50 for clear oak at the yards. If you have a chance get some 5/4 wood and perhaps a 8/4 board of the oak (no glue ups for legs). Again, be carefull when you sticker. sticker each 2 feet and one sticker exactly over the other. Cover top with something to keep rain out and also oak surface checks real easy in sun. Doing this carefully you will have fantastic wood and Tyler crying for pictures of the products in a year or so.

Mark J Bachler
10-12-2004, 3:24 PM
$300/t bdft. for logging, hauling, and cutting is a fantastic price!! :) especially if he is also quartersawing some. $0.30 vs $2.75-3.50 for clear oak at the yards. If you have a chance get some 5/4 wood and perhaps a 8/4 board of the oak (no glue ups for legs). Again, be carefull when you sticker. sticker each 2 feet and one sticker exactly over the other. Cover top with something to keep rain out and also oak surface checks real easy in sun. Doing this carefully you will have fantastic wood and Tyler crying for pictures of the products in a year or so.

He really didn't have to haul it, just skid it out of my woods to the field. I cheated & used 3 stickers for 8'. I was running low on stickers & didn't want to use green wood. I had it all cut to 1 1/8" but I have allot to go and plan on having a little 6/4 & 8/4 cut. I was suprised when the saywer said he'd quarter saw it for the same price as long as I didn't want it all QS. We'll see what the final tally is when he's done. I was also thinking of having some poplar sawn up for drawer boxes. Anybody ever use poplar instead of birch????

Jim Becker
10-12-2004, 3:31 PM
I was also thinking of having some poplar sawn up for drawer boxes. Anybody ever use poplar instead of birch????
Poplar is all I use for drawers in general. Never birch plywood, other than maybe the bottoms.

Bryan Danner
10-12-2004, 6:31 PM
Seal the ends of the wood NOW. If you wait until you see checking before you seal the ends, it will be too late. Sealing the ends of the logs right after the trees hit the ground would be best.

-Bryan

Chris Padilla
10-12-2004, 7:36 PM
Mark,

The idea behind sealing the end grain is to equalize moisture loss from the wood as it dries. With open end grain on two ends, moisture loss will happen too quickly and cause stress in the wood (i.e. stress in the form of end checks or worse, warping, bowing, cupping, etc.) as it shrinks too much too quickly in that direction. As Bryan said, "Seal that wood NOW."