PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 3/4" Ply panel across edge challenge?

Jerry Olexa
12-28-2009, 4:05 PM
In final stages of a bath remodel and have several cherry finished 3/4" ply panels approximate 12"X30". It is necessary to"split" these panels into 2 final panels same size but approx 1/4" thick. I've already cut a 4" groove around the outside of the panels using my TS (I no longer have a bandsaw). Now I need to saw out the remainder of the material in the "center" of the flat panels.
My thinking is a hand saw?! but what type cross or rip or?
I'll be cutting accross the 3/4" thickness of the cherry material and of course, it will be layered and glued on inside.My seldom used handsaw is at the cabin so I'll need to buy a dependable new hand saw suitable for this task...What type do you guys reco for this type unusual use?? Thanks in advance...:confused:

Lee Schierer
12-28-2009, 4:26 PM
If the cut will be with the grain use a rip type blade otherwise use a cross cut type blade. with a 4" thick cut that is 24" long it is going to take you a while. The Japanese style blades seem to cut well no matter what the grain direction is, but I don't know if you could find one that is long enough to reach across your cut. Their wide blade doesn't allow them to wander much and they cut a narrow kerf.

Michael Gibbons
12-28-2009, 4:42 PM
Jerry, Are saying you are basically resawing the panels along the plys? Wouldn't be easier to buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood and cut your pieces?

Greg Portland
12-28-2009, 4:44 PM
So you are trying to buy a new handsaw to resaw plywood? I would suggest using a bandsaw for this task (find a friend who has one). Even after cutting you will need to level the surface of the plywood (lots of sanding) and you will likely have a poor quality veneer layer showing. You will also need to finish the cut side for moisture absorption / board warping reasons.

I'm not sure what you mean my 'layered and glued on inside'?

Jerry Olexa
12-28-2009, 4:57 PM
Jerry, Are saying you are basically resawing the panels along the plys? Wouldn't be easier to buy a sheet of 1/4 in plywood and cut your pieces?

Michael: You're right. I'm basically resawing the panel along the plys. This ply is finished both sides with a thin outer veneer of prefinished cherry that is factory finished to match the vanity and cabinets in the room. Yes, i'd love to buy some 1/4" ply but it would be difficult I think to match the stain/sheen look used in the other cabinets. HTH. Thanks

Jerry Olexa
12-28-2009, 5:03 PM
I'm not sure what you mean my 'layered and glued on inside'?

Greg, sorry but I meant the standard inside of any(most) ply panel. Its layers of glued up wood at right angles to each other...I meaning my handsaw will be cutting cross cut or rip depending on the layer location... Maybe I should find a friend with a bandsaw:D:p as this is really resawing but of plywood instead of solid stock...

Richard Dragin
12-28-2009, 8:23 PM
I bet you could split it apart with wedges at this point. You have 4" remaining so any rip saw from the BORG would probably do. First choice would have been your band saw.

harry strasil
12-28-2009, 8:39 PM
go buy some 1/8 by 1 cold rolled ftat stock at the borg, or hdw, cut them 10 inches long and sharpen one end like a chisel at a low angle and drive then thru the 4inch way and split it off.

glenn bradley
12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
This ply is finished both sides with a thin outer veneer of prefinished cherry that is factory finished to match the vanity and cabinets in the room.

There it is. I knew a guy like Jerry would have a good reason for going through this exercise. Western hand saw or a bow saw would do it. A buddy with a bandsaw would do it faster and neater (at least with me driving the handsaw that is). I assume the back won't be seen so at least once split, you can get pretty aggressive on leveling it out.

Michael Gibbons
12-29-2009, 8:25 AM
I'm assuming that you need both sides from all remaining peices. If not try running them through your planer down to the thickness you need

Lee Schierer
12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm assuming that you need both sides from all remaining peices. If not try running them through your planer down to the thickness you need

Wow, I would never run plywood through my planer. Besides the damage the glue will do to the knives, planing cross grain is a recipe for disaster in my book. YMMV

Jerry Olexa
12-29-2009, 4:23 PM
There it is. I knew a guy like Jerry would have a good reason for going through this exercise. Western hand saw or a bow saw would do it. A buddy with a bandsaw would do it faster and neater (at least with me driving the handsaw that is). I assume the back won't be seen so at least once split, you can get pretty aggressive on leveling it out.

Glenn, you're exactly right! Last thing I want to do is resaw a panel of ply (w/o a bandsaw). I'm trying to preserve the 2 finished outer surfaces. The resulting back will not be seen..:) So Im resorting to pretty primitive mnethods..

Rob Wright
12-29-2009, 4:36 PM
As others have said, I would think a handsaw (even a cheap Stanley one from HD) would make quick work of cutting through the remaining 4" (12"-4"-4") for the 22" remaining. Good Luck:)

Steve Kohn
12-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Just sent you a PM.

David DeCristoforo
12-29-2009, 10:39 PM
What? You don't have a Sawsall with a 12" blade? Oh well....

Handsaw vote here. Splitting might work but it would be risky. You could easily end up tearing up the pieces.

Tony Bilello
12-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Another vote for a handsaw.

Jerry Olexa
12-30-2009, 1:37 PM
Well. I found a solution and followed much of your advice(s). Turns out the panels were 12 3/4" wide so fitting in the riser of a BS would have been difficult. A friend did offer use of his BS.
The lo-tech simple solution was to rig up a long wooden clamp on my workbench, give it some extra bracing and cut away with my trusty bowsaw. Took quite some time and sawdust but finished it today. The 2 resulting 1/4" panels survived my assault (at times, I even considered a Sawzall) and now ready to move on to the next phase.
Thanks for all your sensible advice. Sometimes, the old simple ways are best. My muscles ache!! :)Thanks!:):D