PDA

View Full Version : A late Christmas present from the wife...

Victor Robinson
12-28-2009, 2:14 PM
As you may remember, I've been agonizing over my tablesaw decision.

Many of you were trying to steer me towards a cabinet saw last week.

I had basically narrowed my choice down to the Grizzly 0661. It was going to max out my tablesaw budget but was going to give me just about everything I'd need for the foreseeable future. Enough power (2HP) and a riving knife.

I was chatting with the wife about the decision and somehow the conversation veered to the Sawstop contractor's saw. She asked me why I wasn't considering it, and I laughed and said it's twice as expensive as my current choice, which is already pushing the budget. She asked how much, and then calmly told me to figure out how to make it work with the budget! :eek:

I guess this makes up for the coal in my stocking this year! Anyone have experience with the SS contractor's saw, or recommend a good authorized dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Stephen Edwards
12-28-2009, 2:25 PM
Happy Wife=Happy Life!

Peter Quinn
12-28-2009, 2:31 PM
Wow! Can your wife talk to my wife? I threw a magnetic feather board in her cart the last time I was in the borg and she got mad, asked me why I needed one of those, I argued they were cheaper than the co-pay on the surgery to reattach a finger, she told me she had an extra finger to give me and would prove it directly! Wonder how my wife would react if I threw a saw stop in her cart?

Seriously, congrats on that, I hear they are built like tanks and you get the safety benefit.

Michael Gibbons
12-28-2009, 4:46 PM
Wonder how my wife would react if I threw a saw stop in her cart?

Yell at you for making her push around a cart with 500+ lbs in it!!

Jeff Nolan
12-28-2009, 4:53 PM
The fellow that owns the Woodcrafts in San Carlos and Santa Rosa is Eric McCrystal and he is a heck of a nice guy. They are of course an authorized SawStop dealer and I am sure Eric will take good care of you.

I guess this makes up for the coal in my stocking this year! Anyone have experience with the SS contractor's saw, or recommend a good authorized dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Ellen Benkin
12-28-2009, 5:09 PM
So your wife is the one in all the ads! Congrats. Tell her that her payment from SS should pay for the saw.

I've used a SS and would love to have one at home. It is a very well thought out and well built machine. You are not giving up any great table saw features to get the safety feature. It was the first one to come with a riving knife which is now required on all table saws.

If I were to replace my current table saw it would definitely be with a Saw Stop. There is no reason not to have the safest saw on the market. And don't listen to the idiots (yes, I mean idiots) who claim that the safety features will make you less careful about getting fingers near the blade.

Ken Shoemaker
12-28-2009, 6:10 PM
Does your wife have a sister????? :rolleyes:

John A. Callaway
12-28-2009, 7:41 PM
They ran that ad in a bunch of women's magazine for the holidays. very smart marketing.

Jason Hanko
12-28-2009, 7:52 PM
Wow! Can your wife talk to my wife? I threw a magnetic feather board in her cart the last time I was in the borg and she got mad, asked me why I needed one of those, I argued they were cheaper than the co-pay on the surgery to reattach a finger, she told me she had an extra finger to give me and would prove it directly!
Peter, it sounds like you're married to my fiancee...... :rolleyes::D

Although in all fairness she did give me the green light on my new Grizz jointer earlier this month - but I have a feeling it was only b/c I pulled the "Id love to make you a new kitchen table honey, but I dont have a jointer..."

Paul Atkins
12-28-2009, 9:42 PM
I never understood "the wife". Are you the husband?

Mike Cruz
12-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Congrats! And does your wife have a sister?

That said, I have to make the inappropriate pun that sprang to mind when I read the title of this thread... Better a late Christmas present from the wife than a Christmas present from the late wife... especially yours!

Joshua Layne
12-29-2009, 12:33 AM
so I guess that means you aren't interested in my saw :P

Congrats - I think that'll serve you well.

-josh

Tim Null
12-29-2009, 1:18 AM
I have one and my wife was fully on board once she saw the video. I am on blood thinners for a cardiac condition, so any cut is tougher to deal with.

My suggestions:

Get the cast iron wings.

Get the upgraded fence. The stock one is crap. The upgraded one is a Beis clone. It is the one that comes stock with the Professional saw. It is worth the money and if you upgrade at time of purchase you save some cash.

Get the mobile base. It works really well. Unless you have no need to move your saw.

Enjoy and hope you never need the brake!

Victor Robinson
12-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I never understood "the wife". Are you the husband?

No, I'm "the guy who follows me around the house and thinks he's married to me." :)

In all seriousness, for me it's a term of endearment. I can understand that for those who don't use the term, it may seem rude or disrespectful, but that's certainly not how I intend it. I adore my wife. :)

Victor Robinson
12-29-2009, 10:40 AM
so I guess that means you aren't interested in my saw :P

Congrats - I think that'll serve you well.

-josh

I guess not - would have been a great option for me though. Thanks again for the offer.

Slight price difference though. Going to be competing with the cat to dig up lose change from under the couch.

Victor Robinson
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I have one and my wife was fully on board once she saw the video. I am on blood thinners for a cardiac condition, so any cut is tougher to deal with.

My suggestions:

Get the cast iron wings.

Get the upgraded fence. The stock one is crap. The upgraded one is a Beis clone. It is the one that comes stock with the Professional saw. It is worth the money and if you upgrade at time of purchase you save some cash.

Get the mobile base. It works really well. Unless you have no need to move your saw.

Enjoy and hope you never need the brake!

Tim, you're killing me! I know those upgrades would make it a much much better saw, but for now I think I'll need to keep it at the basic model. LOML has surprised and I'm not going to be pushing my luck! Fortunately I can upgrade all those items later little by little - but the mobile base will probably be a must right away.
The Beis would be much better no doubt, but FWW seemed satisfied enough with the base fence in their review....:confused:

Mike Zilis
12-29-2009, 1:09 PM
I've had my SS Contractors Saw for about a year now. I went with the cast iron wings, better fence, extension table, outfeed table and mobile base. The assembly was straight forward, the adjustments were easy and the saw just purrs like a kitten. I've used both full and thin kerf blades on it. Great saw. No regrets. My wife didn't want me to get anything other than a SS. Her encouragement was the icing on the cake.

Congrats.

Rick Prosser
12-29-2009, 3:10 PM
I have the SS Pro cabinet saw (still in the box, waiting for the shop to be finished:(). Once I showed "the wife" ;) the safety video - that was it -didn't want me to get anything other than a SS.

Hope to try it out in January.

Gary McNair
12-29-2009, 9:27 PM
Victor
Congrats on that "breakthu". You are the Lead Dog ! Regards dealers, Santa brought me a new, in the crate, Powermatic 66. There are still a few of these at dealerships. Mine came from Santa Rosa Tool and Supply. Their parent group is C B Tool in San Jose. They are also a Sawstop dlr. These guys are easily found on the Internet

If you are leaning that way call Jimmy, the store manager in Santa Rosa. He was/is super to work with and helped with the delivery.

Don Bullock
12-31-2009, 2:14 PM
Smart wife!!!

She sounds like a keeper. Welcome to the growing group of SS owners.:D