PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft Sanding Table?

Joe Leigh
12-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Does anyone have or use a downdraft sanding table similar to the Grizzly T10115? If so what are your thought on the usefulness of this item?
Worth the cost??

Ron Bontz
12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
No, IMHO. Unless you do only little projects. I made my own with peg board, etc. It's bigger and was less expensive. Best of luck.

Greg Wittler
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I was thinking about getting the larger of the two grizzly offers as far as a table top model but I am going to build one instead.

David Perata
12-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I made my own also. Get an old blower from an air conditioning place and build an enclosure around it. Use pegboard for the top. I actually built a small sanding room enclosed with 2 X 4's and sheet rock with a door and air intake and outtake. It was a little work but boy is it nice to have! Keeps the shop free of all that dust.

glenn bradley
12-29-2009, 9:18 AM
Hook your vac to your sander. My ROS picks up more dust than it makes and the hose is a lot easier to store than a downdraft table. I was fascinated by these for awhile but a few trials with pegboard and a DC, enlarged holes in said pegboard and even slots in said pegboard left far more dust behind than a hose hooked to the sander (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136293&d=1261806859). That's just my experience, YMMV.

Joe Leigh
12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Interesting responses so far, not a single thumbs up for the table...

Greg Mann
12-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree with Glenn on this one. An integrated sander and vac system will be far better at collecting dust, help your paper last longer, and improve your work quality and speed. I am biased towards a Festool system, which is more expensive to buy yet probably less so than adding in the cost of a downdraft table, but most quality sanders have provision for a direct hook-up to a vac. If any sander can't be hooked to a vac it isn't worth having. There MAY be an exception to this but I am having a hard time thinking of one just now.

In addition, a downdraft table will define its own limitations regarding size, portability, workpiece shape, space taken up, etc.