PDA

View Full Version : Inlay Pen Kits

John Craig Brown
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I just ordered a couple of inlay pen kits from Kallenshaan. Can someone give me a couple of hints on how to proceed with this project - I have not received the kits yet. I saw a nice video on the Penn State site. Since I ordered the kits I now realize that the same style kit is designed for multiple pen styles and you have to indicate which kind of kit you want and order the appropriate pen kit - anything else I am missing about these kits.

Thanks - need help as the kits are $$

John Terefenko
12-28-2009, 1:49 PM
Hi John

First off let me say Ken is a super guy and makes a super product. He was probably the first person to offer these type pen kits to us pen turners and continues to offer great service and products not only in kit form but for lazer work and engraving. The tops in the field as far as I am concerned. Now if you contact him I am sure he will walk you through things and I am not sure but he may have some instructions on his web site so check it out.

Now with that said, there is a new player that has recently come along and is making a splash with some very fine work of his own and continues to add kits to his line. The reason I mention it is because he does some similar kits as Ken and I am not sure which ones you have but maybe he sells the same. The thing is this person has pdf files for his kits that explain in detail instructions so maybe you want to check him out.

I am not sure any more about links but I will post it and if it gets removed just go over to the IAP pen turning site and you will see his ad and he also offers discounts to IAP members. http://www.lazerlinez.com/

I do know with alot of the kits people choose to sand the blank to shape as opposed to use a skew because of the delicate nature of some of the pieces. They all go together rather well. Good luck and post some photos of the pens.

Rusty Smith
12-28-2009, 2:17 PM
Ed Davidson (aka YoYoSpin) has a video on his website for the stars and stripes pen blank. You should check it out.
http://www.yoyospin.com/video/

Greg Ketell
12-28-2009, 3:51 PM
Ken has instructions for all his kits. I think they are posted on line but won't swear to it.

In general, you build it around the tube using rubber bands to hold it together. Once assembled you can slide it off the tube (some slide it onto a dowel the same side of the tube) and then apply glue of your choice inside the blank and on the tube and then slide it back together. Apply more glue to fill any gamps/seams and you are good to go.

GK

John Craig Brown
12-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. Ed Davidson has an unbelievable site with many instructional videos.

Have a great New Years.