PDA

View Full Version : Disc Sander vs. Combination Machine

John Craig Brown
12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Quick question - should I get a disc sander alone or should I get one of those combination sanding centers. And will a large stand alone disc sander (12 or 20 inches) suffice. I already have a big-box bench top spindle sander with a small belt sander attachment.

This is for general woodworking use, pen blank truing, small projects such as children's toys.

I also have a Performax drum sander.

Cary Falk
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I personally don't see a lot of value in one of those combo machines. You only get to use half of the 12" disc. The upright belt doesn't get you much more help than the disc does. I see a large edge sander much more useful. I have the Ridgid combo sander that you have. I want to upgrade to a larger sander. If you want a disc, I would definitely get a 20".

John Craig Brown
12-28-2009, 11:51 AM
What is a good edge sander for a non-professional?

Brian Kent
12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I am sold on combo sanders. I use all parts often.

Greg Portland
12-28-2009, 1:37 PM
What is a good edge sander for a non-professional?
I would look closely at the Rigid combo sander. It will give you a spindle sander and an oscillating belt sander... both with good dust control (when connected to a vacuum). You can also sand with the stock tilted at various angles (table tilts). Be sure to bolt or clamp the sander down to your workbench for stability. The next step beyond the Rigid option would be the $500+ Grizzley machines (G1276, G1531, etc.).

Jim McFarland
12-28-2009, 2:13 PM
I use a 12" disc sander a lot in penturning and taking just a bit off the end of something. I had a 12" disc/48" belt combo machine and sold it as I seldom used the belt. The combo machine required a lot more floor space, too. Really depends on what you do but disc is a much better option for me.

glenn bradley
12-28-2009, 2:27 PM
As you already have the Ridgid I am wondering what you want the disc sander to do for you. The platen on the belt portion of the Ridgid is as big or bigger than a 12" disc. I can say that my Ridgid unit really stepped up its usefulness when I picked up belts from 50 to 240 grit. This really opens up the capabilities of an inexpensive little machine.

Bruce Page
12-28-2009, 3:06 PM
I have a combo sander and like Brian, I use all of it. I use the belt for aggressive sanding and the disk for finishing.
If I had to choose just one, I'd pick the disk.

Matthew Hills
12-28-2009, 4:22 PM
I have a combo sander and like Brian, I use all of it. I use the belt for aggressive sanding and the disk for finishing.
If I had to choose just one, I'd pick the disk.

I haven't used either (my power sanding kit has been the drum bits on a drill press), but I was surprised with a JET disc/belt sander this holiday season. I've seen belt sanders used (Norm) and can appreciate a spindle sander, but haven't seen disc sanders used. What is the strength of the disc sander over a belt sander?

Matt

Bruce Page
12-28-2009, 6:27 PM
I haven't used either (my power sanding kit has been the drum bits on a drill press), but I was surprised with a JET disc/belt sander this holiday season. I've seen belt sanders used (Norm) and can appreciate a spindle sander, but haven't seen disc sanders used. What is the strength of the disc sander over a belt sander?

Matt

Matt, for me, I'd have to say control. I actually have 2 disk sanders. I keep a simi course grit on the combo and a fine grit on my 12" Delta benchtop.

Dave Lehnert
12-28-2009, 6:38 PM
I use a belt and disk sander all the time. I feel most all on the market run way too fast for woodworking. I use a Shopsmith. I am able to control the speed to almost a crawl.