PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2009, 9:45 AM
28 Dec 2009

Good Morning,
Well, this has been the coldest December for the longest amount of time that I can remember. 20's at night and 30', 40's during the day. At least I have a good store of firewood and a nice stove to put it in. Makes me wonder what January and February hold in store.!

Well, the 2009 Christmas season is now over, things are starting to settle down and we all had a "thin" but a good Christmas holiday. I got nothing woodworking related, in fact, I got next to nothing as money has been tight and things are hard, so the LOML and I opted to make sure we got nothing for each other and we don't exchange gifts with extended family now because everyone is on fixed incomes or just don't have the money to spend outside of living day to day.
The LOML and I were so happy to spend time with our families over Thanksgiving and with most of our kids on Christmas. In very many ways, we are truly blessed and this year was the happiest we've had in a while.

I have a few small woodworking projects to do, but I haven't had time yet to even start them. I spend my time at the day job, helping with the kids school work at the end of each day, prepare the lessons for my youngest son's school work before I go to bed each night and share some hot tea with the LOML at our end of each day just to connect and share a quiet time before bed.

Christmas was a very busy time this year due to various people wanting me to play bass guitar sessions for them. I love to help and play, but I can only do so much. One of my primary drives for bass playing this coming year is to learn how to play true jazz bass guitar. But that's a whole nuther story.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past Christmas holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Cliff Holmes
12-28-2009, 9:54 AM
Since I had just spent major $$$ on my wife's new lathe, I took my first shot at turning something. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I just grabbed a chunk of fairly new oak firewood from the woodpile and did a 6" or so bowl exterior. Then I realized the tenon I had cut was way too small for the standard jaws on the chuck to grab, so it's sitting in a ziplock baggie until I can get a set of spigot jaws for the Stronghold.

This turning stuff is addictive ...

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi Dennis - no WW/shop time for me this weekend. So far I've put together a handful of Bionicles, some Connect-X, 3 or 4 Star Wars Lego ships (last night being the biggie, a 1170 piece Republic Attack Cruiser), set up my daughter's iTouch, and tried to pick up the house as much as possible. The boys and I went "skydiving" yesterday, in one of those indoor skydiving places. It was fantastic, and the boys (especially the 6 year old) just loved it.

Shawn Pixley
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
With the time off for the holidays, I finished my outfeed table sans the drop portion (thanks Jim). and started a small carcass for some drawers under the table saw extension (To hold featherboards, wrenches, etc...). Today with the time off I will complete the drawers and take my bride to the movies.

Dave Wagner
12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
We had 45 degrees and rain, melted all the snow (About 4" or so), now it's snowing again and under winter storm warnings....geesh.

Worked on mother-in-laws cabinet (76" high, 31" wide and 16" deep), kinda of a pantry type cabinet. Got the framework, shelves and face frame done and one door frame done.

Next will by the updating the old bathroom, have a week off next week, so I should be able to get something going on it. Have to modify an old buffet for the vanity, new tub (and surround), lighting, flooring, etc...

Joe Mioux
12-28-2009, 2:13 PM
worked every day through the holidays... Christmas day 5 hours, Sat 7, Sun 7.

so no ww'g.

joe

Mike Rees
12-28-2009, 2:41 PM
I built out the miter saw stand that Gary Katz details in the Trim Made Simple book.

Used my new Kreg K4 jig for the pocket holes. Now I want to put a pocket hole in everything I see. So easy to use, joinery seems pretty tough.

Matt Meiser
12-28-2009, 7:36 PM
After 3 days of Christmas, I spent a lot o Sunday out in the shop straightening and getting a really good start on my new router table.

Jim Becker
12-28-2009, 9:13 PM
I got much work done on the "Taj Mahal" tack trunk I'm building for the fellow I bought a very nice French dressage saddle from...it's part of the payment...and expect it will be complete by week's end. Outside of that, I had two very intense riding lessons (and have the muscle soreness to prove it) this weekend, watched "G-Force" with the girls and did a little work around the house.

Fred Voorhees
12-28-2009, 9:34 PM
Did manage to get in a few hours in the shop over the Christmas holiday weekend. I am currently finishing up two identical music boxes that I am making for both my mom (for her upcoming birthday) and my wife (just to have one that matches my moms).

Cary Falk
12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I got in some long hours this weekend in the shop. I just finished up the pantry doors for a friend. I am currently working on a flat panel tv console for a neighbor. This is probably my biggest paying gig I have had. It is going quicker than I thought. I have all week off so I hope to make a big dent in the project.

Dave Gaul
12-29-2009, 8:37 AM
After spending every spare moment in the shop for 3 weeks prior to Christmas working on my daughter's drawing table, I veg'ed all weekend!!!