PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Buy?

Jake Helmboldt
12-28-2009, 9:13 AM
Last month I bought some old chisels and there are a few that I'm wondering about.

1. The second from the top (the only handled chisel) - It is a 1/4" Pexto with beveled edges but has the thicker casting of a firmer or sash mortice chisel so I'm confused as to just what it is.

2. The third chisel is an Ohio Tools; were their chisels any good?

3. The fourth is a Worth; same question as above. I can't find any info on Worth tools.

Thanks, Jake

Jim Koepke
12-28-2009, 1:32 PM
The easiest way to tell if the chisels are any good is by putting them to use.

Before the early 20th century, a lot of work was done with hand tools. This lead to a wide variety of what was made for the needs of different craftsmen or the perception of what was needed by the manufacturers.

I have a few chisels like this. They do not get used for much. Have been thinking of grinding them with skewed edges to clean out the waste when making dovetails.

jim

Erik Manchester
12-28-2009, 2:14 PM
Jake,

I suggest that you search the SMC archives for posts by Bob Smalser who has written extensively on rehabing old tools and his articles are helpful and informative. Some of his artcles are aval through Cian Perez's site:

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Wood_How_To/INDEX_How_To.htm

Don C Peterson
12-28-2009, 2:46 PM
Pexto, Ohio Tool, and Worth all made good quality chisels.

I have several Pexto chisels and one Ohio Tool chisel. I use them all the time and could not say that one is "better" than the other.

Martin Cash
12-28-2009, 3:41 PM
Pexto, Ohio Tool, and Worth all made good quality chisels.

I have several Pexto chisels and one Ohio Tool chisel. I use them all the time and could not say that one is "better" than the other.

I too have owned all of these brands at one time or the other. They are all usually good and should give you good service. Pexto would be the pick of these from my experience, and these have become my preference. I have actually tried to collect as many Pexto chisels as I could find, with the idea of putting together a set. Still working on that one as they are a little hard to track down on this side of the Pacific.
As Jim said, sharpen them up and try them out, you will soon see which take a good edge and which hold their edge well. I am betting that you will like all of them.
Lucky bloke!
MC

Don C Peterson
12-28-2009, 4:28 PM
You might want to take a look at this post by Bob Smalser:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13734

harry strasil
12-28-2009, 8:49 PM
I need to check my tool chests to see if any are missing. LOL

James Taglienti
12-29-2009, 7:50 AM
Those are good names. Pexto is Peck, Stow, and Wilcox out of Chicago. Ohio's old plane irons are great, so i am assuming their chisels are. Worth is the brand name for Bigelow and Dowes, out of Boston. All of those chisels should work fine. We must remember that those tools come from an age when men depended on them to put bread on the table. The junk to treasure ratio was roughly opposite what it is now.

Jake Helmboldt
12-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad they aren't junk, though I don't think I paid but about $5 for each for the Worth and Ohio chisels. I also scored a Greenlee and a Stanley 720 for a few dollars each.:)

As to the Pexto, any suggestions on its best application? It is a bit long for a bench or paring chisel, though the bevels would help with cleaning up narrow dovetails.

Jake

Jim Koepke
12-29-2009, 3:34 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad they aren't junk, though I don't think I paid but about $5 for each for the Worth and Ohio chisels. I also scored a Greenlee and a Stanley 720 for a few dollars each.:)

As to the Pexto, any suggestions on its best application? It is a bit long for a bench or paring chisel, though the bevels would help with cleaning up narrow dovetails.

Jake

Sounds like a good haul, so here is a well deserved YOU SUCK!

The 1/4 incher may also be good for light mortise work. Not a strong whacker but likely a good "all around" chisel. The kind of tool a craftsman working a century ago would carry in the tool box to be ready for anything.

Bob Smalser's posts can all be found in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs sticky thread at the top of the Neanderthal Haven conference.

jim

James Taglienti
12-30-2009, 1:13 AM
Take the Pexto, heat the neck red hot, put it on your anvil, and WHACK crank neck !!!