PDA

View Full Version : new easel

John Grossi
12-28-2009, 7:13 AM
My wife is an artist and has been painting on a small portable easel for a while. She started hinting around for a larger one, a more permanent type. She wanted it on wheels to hide away when not in use. I decided to build her one for Christmas. The base is hiding a 25lb weight for counter balance. It will tilt forward 10 degrees or so, and back around 30 degrees. I thought I was done until I wrapped it. That was a job! But it was worth it when she opened it. Now I'm taking a break

John A Walker
12-28-2009, 7:36 AM
My wife is an artist and has been painting on a small portable easel for a while. She started hinting around for a larger one, a more permanent type. She wanted it on wheels to hide away when not in use. I decided to build her one for Christmas. The base is hiding a 25lb weight for counter balance. It will tilt forward 10 degrees or so, and back around 30 degrees. I thought I was done until I wrapped it. That was a job! But it was worth it when she opened it. Now I'm taking a break

That's not an easel.. It's an ADVENTURE!
Nice work.
J
:D

John Keeton
12-28-2009, 8:24 AM
Great design, and a very nice result! With that much mass and weight, mobility was a smart move. BTW, if that is one of your wife's paintings - NICE!!

Marshall Border
12-28-2009, 9:15 AM
John: This a nice piece of work , I know that your wife as well as anyone else would love this . The talent shows for sure ..............Marshall ;)

John Thompson
12-28-2009, 9:19 AM
Very nice results John. My wife ask why I was tilting over the side of our computer desk chair viewing pictures until she saw the 4 of 5 posted were taken vertical and posted horizonal. Of course she really wasn't surprised that much as she is aware of the fact I behave rather strangely 24/7. :D

Excellent job on the build and the casters were definitely a good idea especially considering the counter-weigh. That will save you many... "honey.. I finished for the evening now so could you move my easel over to"...... ha.. ha..

Regards...

John Grossi
12-28-2009, 1:41 PM
Thanks for the nice words. That is one of my wife's paintings. She is very detailed so I knew I couldn't just throw something together. A year ago I made her a mobile art table, one she could close up, push by the couch and look like a piece of furniture. She really likes that so I figured I would give the easel a shot. As far as the way the pics are posted; can I change it from horizontal to vertical during the posting? I guess I thought the viewer could right click and switch it. Wrong. I will be more careful next time. John