PDA

View Full Version : Griz 15" planer problem

scott vroom
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm having problems with in/out feed on my Grizzly G0453Z spiral planer. This morning I was feeding in 2.5" wide, 16' long FJ pine. I'd feed the board starting on the right side of the infeed table and the board immediately began traveling toward the left as it was pulled through the planer. By the time 12' went through, the board was pressed up against the left edge of the infeed table, causing some marks on the edge of thr board. My thought was that the spiral cutter was causing the movement. Any thoughts on cause and fix?

Chip Lindley
12-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi Scott. I am sure your planer's powered front infeed roller has spiral *teeth* to engage the wood and pull it in. The rear outfeed power roller is probably finely searrated steel.

If the rear roller does not apply sufficient pressure, the spiral *teeth* of the infeed will surely pull the stock sideways as you discribe. If this condition began suddenly, check that chips or dust have not clogged the action of the rear feed roll. Check that it provides sufficient pressure to the freshly planed wood surface. Your user's manual should give instructions for adjusting the feed rollers.

Philip Rodriquez
12-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, the problem is likely with your feed rollers. Check your setup and adjust, as necessary. Also check the bed rollers. The cutter would be my last suspect.