PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

Jon Finch
12-27-2009, 8:53 PM
I spent the afternoon roughing out a few bowls... I resolve to never pound nails in any tree.

John Keeton
12-27-2009, 8:56 PM
Jon, did you encounter an event that firmly planted that in your mind?:eek: I sure wouldn't want to run into a 16 penny nail with my new bowl gouge!!:mad:

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Know what ya mean Jon. I have hit barbed wire and fence staples in trunks.:mad: That will get your attention as you stated. Doesn't do the gouge much good either.

alex carey
12-27-2009, 9:25 PM
haha, had that problem as well, its definitely annoying and can be scary.

Steve Mawson
12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Problem must be universal. However mine was my own fault. Many years before I shot the tree with a 22. Although lead is fairly soft it is not tooling soft. So I resolve never to shoot a tree again, probably over that by now anyway.

George Guadiane
12-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I resolve to smile back at life so that it can't laugh at me...
AND, GET ORGANIZED!

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I hear ya Jon! I have found nails, wire and bullets in the wood I've turned so far and have gotten to the point when I see the wood change color in one particular spot - I stop and investigate! Also picked up one of those metal detectors to help in the search!

My New Years resolution is to push myself as a turner to improve both my skill level and my use of imagination!

Joe Adams
12-27-2009, 11:25 PM
A few years back, my Dad asked me to come over and help cut up a tree that had died and fallen over.

When we were cutting about three feet up the main trunk, the chainsaw hit steel and sparks flew. We changed the chain, started a new cut from the other side, and the same thing happened again!

As my Dad pondered the cause, it occurred to me that I was to blame.

I told him, "Remember when I was five and you taught me how to use a hammer? Well, this is the tree I practiced on."

He chuckled and replied that he had always wondered what happened to that five pound box of 16 penny nails.

Sid Matheny
12-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Hit a nail with a NEW TimberWolf bandsaw blade not long ago roughing a bowl blank. :mad:

Sid

Jon Finch
12-28-2009, 2:18 AM
Yup, turned the head clean off the nail before I noticed it. Must have been a pretty soft nail though 'cause it didn't really do anything to my gouge. But it has me thinking twice now about feeling the wood as it spins. I'm always doing that.

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2009, 5:53 AM
We were cutting up a big oak tree with the woodmizer mill and the sound changed and the blade was dulled instantly. We had cut clean through a large railroad spike that was in the tree! Had a 28" butternut that someone had put concrete in a rotted limb hole near the base of the tree, they had somehow pushed and pounded the concrete so it went into the rotted center of the tree and 6' up the trunk! So the center of the tree had an 8" thick concrete center! Boy was that ever a head scratcher!

I resolve to clean and organize the shop, some year!

Happy New year,

Jeff

Roger Bullock
12-28-2009, 6:46 AM
Getting better organized is one of the top 5 New Year's Resolutions, and again it is close to the top of my list. And a new one for me this year is to start my Christmas woodturning projects earlier. I'm probably the only one on here that spent part of Christmas Eve in the shop rushing to get those last few items ready to go.

Bob Tate
12-28-2009, 8:13 AM
No Roger, you are not the only one. I am an expert procrastinator!
Bob

Getting better organized is one of the top 5 New Year's Resolutions, and again it is close to the top of my list. And a new one for me this year is to start my Christmas woodturning projects earlier. I'm probably the only one on here that spent part of Christmas Eve in the shop rushing to get those last few items ready to go.

Kenneth Whiting
12-28-2009, 5:23 PM
I found a piece of metal a little larger than a BB in a piece of mesquite. I just happened to see it while I had the lathe stopped. I'm not really sure how much I already had turned away, but it didn't seem to harm the tool.

I was still working on Christmas day trying to finish projects. My families party was in the evening and we just barely finished on time.