PDA

View Full Version : Open Grain Woods - Sand or Fill?

Mike Shields
12-27-2009, 5:28 PM
No question, I've been fighting how to start the finishing of wood like walnut and padauk.

So how/when do you determine to sand smooth or fill? Or not at all?

With your decision made to sand, what grit sequence are you using?

If your going to fill, do you go clear or...?

Do you use a combination of the two?

Did I mention I was having a hard time with this?

Thanks,

Mike

Tony Bilello
12-27-2009, 5:46 PM
"So how/when do you determine to sand smooth or fill? Or not at all?"
Generally I don't fill. The only time I fill is when I am refinishing and the original piece was filled or at a customers request for a 'flat surface - no grain 'holes'

"With your decision made to sand, what grit sequence are you using?"
Usually 100 or 120 to start and then jump to 180 and thats it. If a piece just comes out of my planer, I just go with the 180.

"If your going to fill, do you go clear or...?"
I always fill with a color slightly darker than the existing grain and only fill after the primer/sealer coat.

"Do you use a combination of the two?"
No.

"Did I mention I was having a hard time with this?"
Nope, but I am glad you brought it up because I would have never figured it out.

The determining factor is the 'look' you are trying to achieve. I personally like the look of an unfilled grain, I find it more interesting. As for the feel, pre-cat lacquer has a great feel to it. If you never felt it, you would be surprised.

Mike Shields
12-27-2009, 5:48 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Bilello;1294151
"Did I mention I was having a hard time with this?"
Nope, but I am glad you brought it up because I would have never figured it out. [/QUOTE]

Great response! Got a grin on my face.

Thanks!

Mike

Harvey Pascoe
01-02-2010, 1:23 PM
See my solution to padauk under thread of same name. Its an otherwise very smooth wood that has very deep cells that cannot be sanded away, making it difficult to achieve a satisfactory finish unless you like the exposed very deep grain which traps dirt and will become ugly rather fast if you don't fill it. Some boards are much coarser than others. Unfilled, its unsuitable for a table top.

My first experience with it was a hand railing on a staircase that I varnished but did not intend to fill. It got dirty and unsightly fast, so I went back and filled the grain and now its beautiful and stays that way. No longer red, it looks just like old mahogany.